Commission Client Etiquette

Atypicalzero

So just over a month ago, I did something I never do and I commissioned a skin for a site. In the coders’ rules it says they update clients every week. I wanted to be polite and understanding since the holidays were going on, and to my knowledge they had a personal project they were working on as well as another commission slot open. I don’t want to seem impatient or entitled, as I really have no problem with waiting even another month, two or however long really. People have lives and other things to do. However, the fact remains I haven’t heard a thing since I paid them. 

Having never done this before, I wonder when might be an appropriate time to poke them and ask for any kind of update? I’m sure I’m worried for no reason, but I’d still like to be made aware of what’s going on. 
I’m not worried I’ve been swindled. I have been a part of sites these people have coded for and seen their work elsewhere as well. You just ever get that voice in your head that’s like “darn, you’ve been forgotten”? It’s like that kind of feeling. Just sort of hoping for any kind of advice from people who may have more experience in this realm than me, even if that advice is as simple as “suck it up, buttercup”.

• Admin

1week is all I would wait for an update especially if they have not provided you details to the contrary of their information even over the holidays.

You need to get on top of it because lack of reaching out on your part could equal losing your buyers protection that places like PayPal and whatnot offer.

• Agree 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

21 minutes ago, Morrigan said:

1week is all I would wait for an update especially if they have not provided you details to the contrary of their information even over the holidays.

You need to get on top of it because lack of reaching out on your part could equal losing your buyers protection that places like PayPal and whatnot offer.

I wasn’t aware of that! Thank you for your quick reply. I’ve reached out so hopefully I’ll hear something back shortly. I’m sure I was stressing for no reason but I appreciate the heads up anyway. I just didn’t want to be a handful ya know?

• Admin
20 minutes ago, Atypicalzero said:

I wasn’t aware of that! Thank you for your quick reply. I’ve reached out so hopefully I’ll hear something back shortly. I’m sure I was stressing for no reason but I appreciate the heads up anyway. I just didn’t want to be a handful ya know?

You're not being a handful if you are abiding the person's rules. Their rules are an update every week. Which means at least every 7 days you should have some sort of information. If you're being kind 10 but even then you should at least have documentation that YOU are abiding by their "weekly" update.

When it comes to anything you pay money for its  CYA.

I recently bought a mod from a mod creator on Conan. My comfort was watching him make it on nearly every day from the time I asked for it.

• Agree 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

• 2 weeks later...

Morrigan covered all points here, but for anyone else reading with potentially the same worries -- 

when your money is involved, stay on top of these artists / coders / service providers.

I regularly check in with people I commission (usually letting a week or two pass before contact) to ensure they're working on my commission and to ensure I don't forget that I commissioned them in the first place. I usually prefer to pay after a sketch has been made, but in times where artists / service providers require upfront payment, reaching out on a regular basis ensures what you paid for is getting done! 

As long as you're being polite and simply asking for an update, you're good!