face claim question

Tetris

5 hours ago, Morrigan said:

Lets be honest though. You wouldn't spend your career in the limelight like that unless you were okay with your face being out there. While I will agree that it would be disrespectful to use pictures that should be private (aka Paparazzi invasion). Anything from a photoshoot or show/movie is meant for public consumption. They do those things KNOWING full well that its on the table for people to see/use in perpetuity.

That's a fair point I hadn't even really thought of! That's the reasoning that most people have given to me when I asked so I jumped onboard and always felt really uncomfortable about it. 

• Like 1

spacer.png

home | info | wanted ads 

• Admin
4 hours ago, Detrimentum said:

That's a fair point I hadn't even really thought of! That's the reasoning that most people have given to me when I asked so I jumped onboard and always felt really uncomfortable about it. 

I mean okay if that’s the reasoning you go with but I mean... but if you think of Princess Leia the first and only person you think of is Carrie Fisher. No matter what she will always be the face of Leia. Her death doesn’t change that. She lives forever in our hearts and eyes as Leia. She can never undo that (Not that I figure she would want to even if she were still alive).

• Love 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

I'm truly glad someone asked this question because I was discussing this not too long ago and was torn on where I stood! I actually paused rping for a short while as I thought about it. The opinions I read are incredibly valid and in the end, I think I came to similar conclusions. I felt it was more of a homage to the person rather than being disrespectful. 

• Preach it! 2

• 2 years later...
On 1/26/2021 at 3:21 PM, Royal_Poet said:

Seems pretty harmless to me to allow that.

I think the whole face claim thing in and of itself is kinda disrespectful in a way as you often can't get consent from the people depicted or the artists who created the photograph. Arbitrarily drawing the line at the subject of the image being deceased doesn't really make any sense to me. 

I totally agree on that! If it does not bother you, there should not be a problem tbh

• Agree 1

Happy I Love You GIF by pikaole

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/25/2021 at 11:48 AM, Tetris said:

A deceased person does not have control over their image.  They can't go on social media and say no I don't want this. So yes, it's disrespectful to use that persons face in rp.

• Disagree 2

• 1 month later...
  • Admin

@Daisy

On 3/27/2021 at 8:08 AM, Morrigan said:

Lets be honest though. You wouldn't spend your career in the limelight like that unless you were okay with your face being out there. While I will agree that it would be disrespectful to use pictures that should be private (aka Paparazzi invasion). Anything from a photoshoot or show/movie is meant for public consumption. They do those things KNOWING full well that its on the table for people to see/use in perpetuity.

To say that the whole thing is because they're dead that they can't come have no say in whether their image is used is a little uncalled for? I feel like there is a better word I just can't think of it.

Really, saying that this is the reason is silly. Alan Rickman isn't going to go onto social media and say "I would like you to stop using my images from movies and photoshoots, especially if they are of Snape or the Sheriff of Nottingham. I do not want to be associated with this character anymore. I am Hans Gruber and only Hans Gruber." Celebrities are fully aware that their face is immortalized in a movie or TV Show or magazine. They sign contracts and make money off of those things.

I mean consider Lucille Ball getting out of her grave to be pissed off that she has thousands of memes of her:

Hungry Cbs GIF by Paramount+

I think she would actually be MORE upset to find out that none were made because people weren't sure about her feelings on the subject. She worked hard for her career and on that show. For it to be ignored because she was dead would be extremely disrespectful to the legacy that she built. I feel that way for any celebrity that has poured their life into their work. Just because they have passed doesn't mean that they should be ignored.

The only place that you are going to get a grey area from me is for modern day models, especially the freelance ones and the ones that their image is literally their livelihood. Unfortunately, these sorts of people are not ones that you get a highlight on a discord server and find out that they have died.

• Fuck Yeah! 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.