face claim question

Tetris

Recently I came in contact with a question and while I have always been taught since I started being an admin (I was taught from a close friend on the best way to run a site) I wasn't really sure what the "correct" thing really is. 

So here is a small backstory to it all; I started rping over 13 years ago, and have only been admining for maybe 5 or 6 years. I was taught by a friend who took me under their wing. So the one thing she always taught me was that you never use a deceased players face. I have been following this rule for as long as I can remember.

Recently I had someone ask me why? I believe it is disrespectful but I wanted to get other peoples views when it comes to this.

spacer.png

@SithLordOfSnark You know I never actually thought of it that way.  I guess because I was taught that way I just ended up following what they say. But the whole everyone dies, and banning those kind of faces would end up having no one. I can see it in another way then just that one.  

• Agree 1

spacer.png

• Admin

Just because they are deceased doesn't make their faces invalid. Hell even Disney uses Deceased people in their movies:

Carrie Fisher Loved Her Princess Leia Cameo in Rogue One

By all means its a picture, not a person that we are using.

• Like 1
  • Fuck Yeah! 1
  • Thank you 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

I use deceased face claims. I use young versions of older actors who have passed on at times, for example, Alan Rickman and Marilyn Monroe. And why not? They’re just a visual representation of a character. Why is that considered disrespectful? 

• Agree 3
  • Thank you 1

Reality is an illusion. 

Seems pretty harmless to me to allow that.

I think the whole face claim thing in and of itself is kinda disrespectful in a way as you often can't get consent from the people depicted or the artists who created the photograph. Arbitrarily drawing the line at the subject of the image being deceased doesn't really make any sense to me. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you 1

stubbybanner.png.e4759f47b79305430527a983448ebbff.png

🜂 Home 🜂 Rules 🜂 New Player Guide 🜂 Plot 🜂 Classifieds 🜂 Discord 🜂

@Royal_Poet @BlackPhoenix @Zozma @Morrigan

I want to say thank you, I wanted some other peoples views on this. I know that it seems rather dumb but I wasn't sure if my way of thinking was a correct way. I mean I tended to just follow whatever I was taught, and recently thought that it was kind of stupid to do.  But I also wanted other peoples view points on this matter since I don't wanna be disrespectful.  If that makes any sense. >>

• Like 2
  • You're Welcome 1

spacer.png

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/25/2021 at 6:51 PM, SithLordOfSnark said:

I don't believe it's disrespectful, and actually and truly believe it's letting their legacy live on through roleplay.

Exactly my opinion. And I used mostly faces of long gone actors and singers, so yes, I am biased. I think it is an hommage using Erroll Flynn, Sarita Montiel, James Dean, etc.

• Fuck Yeah! 2

You were taught that this is the right thing/way to admin. Naturally, you'd have the opinion that it must be right, and that doesn't make it wrong. It also doesn't immediately mean that everyone else is right; if you still want to go on and do the whole 'no deceased  faces' rule don't feel pressured into change if you're not comfortable with it. 

Ultimately, you're were the buck stops. 

However, it seems like your questioning it. Which is positive, we should all look at things from time to time. What I would say is that it makes sense to think about in these terms, we still watch old movies and there is no suggestion of disrespect, we will view paintings of deceased people and in some cases prop masters will use them to represent (sometimes of those people) individuals in that world setting. It doesn't make it bad or wrong, and it's not disrespectful (I'm thinking a bit of the Girl with the Pearl Earring here); all in all... we're using an image. Only an image, none of us are suggesting that image is anything to do with that actual person or their actual life which has now, sadly come to an end. 

For example, you run a Star Wars site, I wouldn't be surprised if you used Carrie Fisher's images for Leia Skywalker, in fact, I'd expect it. Nor would I imagine you replacing the image as a result of Carrie Fisher passing away. There are plenty of other examples out there. I would say that in the cases like that, giving a member the option to change it is a good idea because then you're respecting that members right to make the choice. 

Really, all you can do is your best. 

I do approve of the hold for a little while in the wake of an immediate death of a famous individual, as it could well bring up strong emotions. If this is working, then that is great. But the very best is that you come to a decision that you're going to be comfortable with and happy about it. 

• Love 1

I never thought of it that way either. Some people look deadly similar to others, so I mean, it's not off the table to use the same face claim as a dead character.

• 2 weeks later...

I've never banned FCs based on whether or not the source was alive or deceased. It's not disrespectful, imo, and I do agree with the movie point someone above me made. We wouldn't stop watching movies with deceased actors that were released years ago. Why would we stop using image references?

• Admin
On 1/26/2021 at 8:14 AM, Tetris said:

@Royal_Poet @BlackPhoenix @Zozma @Morrigan

I want to say thank you, I wanted some other peoples views on this. I know that it seems rather dumb but I wasn't sure if my way of thinking was a correct way. I mean I tended to just follow whatever I was taught, and recently thought that it was kind of stupid to do.  But I also wanted other peoples view points on this matter since I don't wanna be disrespectful.  If that makes any sense. >>

Sorry I didn't reply immediately (or input a lot in my first post). I think Verridith stated that you have to do what makes you comfortable. Like I and a few others have stated it isn't disrespectful in any way and often an homage to that character (as I showed with my image of how they couldn't just re-cast Princess Leia, THAT! THAT would be disrespectful).

Movies aren't retired because someone died in it (as @rem just explained) Could you imagine if they just retired Bugs Bunny and all of the characters he voiced and stopped producing those cartoons? They are the icon of Warner Brothers!!! I view a celebrity in that same vision. They may be gone but the inspiration and their contributions are still here and that includes how they inspired a character and I cast them to play that character in my fictitious roleplay movie.

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

• 4 weeks later...

I wouldn't stop using a face because they've passed away. There are also RP sites set in a specific time era where you may want to get an accurate look? Such as 50's to 90's! Just like how others pointed out - Why stop using a visual representation of a face if there are movies that create deceased actors through CGI, etc! 

• Fuck Yeah! 1

I don't think it's wrong to use a deceased person's face claim because they passed, though I choose not to just because the living can decide on whether or not they want their likeness used. But that also poses the question of older, deceased face claims who died a long time ago. 

spacer.png

home | info | wanted ads 

• Admin
On 3/25/2021 at 5:50 PM, Detrimentum said:

I don't think it's wrong to use a deceased person's face claim because they passed, though I choose not to just because the living can decide on whether or not they want their likeness used. But that also poses the question of older, deceased face claims who died a long time ago.

Lets be honest though. You wouldn't spend your career in the limelight like that unless you were okay with your face being out there. While I will agree that it would be disrespectful to use pictures that should be private (aka Paparazzi invasion). Anything from a photoshoot or show/movie is meant for public consumption. They do those things KNOWING full well that its on the table for people to see/use in perpetuity.

• Agree 1
  • Love 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png