What is Sandbox RP?

Blondie

What is Sandbox RP?

I've written on site where there is an overall plot and even events, as well as ones that have gamemasters. And I've seen more than a few RP sites advertising that they are 'sandbox',  and I always wonder what that actually means.

Find me at:

Sunrises and Sunsets - Never-Ending Stories

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you! 🙂

Find me at:

Sunrises and Sunsets - Never-Ending Stories

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, a site without a big plot. For example, Minecraft is a Sandbox game and it doesn't have a big plot to the game, if that makes sense.

• 9 months later...

I always thought it meant a site with a loose plot, with the implication that all plotting going forward would be member driven?

I run a sandbox RP, I envision it as the difference between a linear game and an open-world game. Both have benefits and drawbacks.

apollostation.gif.cd7db540d2caff85d08b42abf82613f3.gif

I have a site that I label as "sandbox". Reason for that being, its is a bit of a magical melting pot. Pretty much any fantasy race can be brought in. And you can think up pretty much any sort of magic for a character (where any race or character possesses the potential for using magic). The plot is loose or rather in the background, as in it there but not the focus. Staff are moving it around and talking with members so there is next to no responsibility for participating in it, it just contributes to the atmosphere of the world their character exists in. There is a lot of fluidity with what is allowed and what can happen, it's a sandbox - all sorts can happen. 

Edited by Lavi

signature2small.png.6c6902665e4c91ca15240bd1f4a0bce3.png

• 2 months later...

I never knew what sandbox plot was either.

It is definitely well worth the time to peruse the message boards, because not only am I discovering things that I was unaware of, I am also being educated!!

Thank you!

• 4 months later...

Anything is possible in Sandbox!

Hello!

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/10/2021 at 2:37 PM, Blondie said:

What is Sandbox RP?

I've written on site where there is an overall plot and even events, as well as ones that have gamemasters. And I've seen more than a few RP sites advertising that they are 'sandbox',  and I always wonder what that actually means.

It means its actually roleplay. Players should create the stories in RP. But most aren't sandboxes because few change the lore and world based on the players actions. So true sandboxes top tier. Deceptive sandboxes are worse then a preset plot driven community.