Discord Help

Huskerdust

Help? I'm at a loss! I'm trying to make a discord and I don't know how to order it? What kind of channels? I'm not currently on any RP forums with a discord so I can't see what other people are doing and I'm def  not joining random discords to see what they're doing like a creep.

So what are the channels or whatever you expect to see in a RP Discord?

Reality is an illusion. 

Thank you! I made something that was a bit of the mix of your two examples. 🙂

Reality is an illusion. 

Here is how I have my server setup. 🙂

image.pngimage.png

• Thank you 1

“There's a scream permanently lodged in my throat now.”
― Michelle McNamara

• 2 months later...

Our Discord is Newer but this is our little set up nothing major.

download (1).png

• 2 months later...

I'm also a big fan of unobtrusive icons for visual distinction.

image.png.845e8d65b4e7cf3caf6d9a77d5dd39fa.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/1/2021 at 7:51 PM, Asher said:

I'm also a big fan of unobtrusive icons for visual distinction.

I've always been curious... How do you go about setting icons up in the names of the channels?

FBTAff-4.png
FBT is an original (modern) supernatural rpg.

• Admin
14 hours ago, NyxDarklore said:

I've always been curious... How do you go about setting icons up in the names of the channels?

Use Emojis. They work even in titles here on the Initiative.

If you are on your phone its easy but if you're on your PC its a little more complicated. Right click on your taskbar and click "Show touch keyboard button"

Now next to the time you should see a keyboard icon. Click it:

image.png

Then you MUST use the keyboard on the screen otherwise it will disappear but you can click the little "Happy face" and it will bring you to emojis and you can search them.

• Thank you 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

5 hours ago, Morrigan said:

Use Emojis. They work even in titles here on the Initiative.

If you are on your phone its easy but if you're on your PC its a little more complicated. Right click on your taskbar and click "Show touch keyboard button"

Now next to the time you should see a keyboard icon. Click it:

image.png

Then you MUST use the keyboard on the screen otherwise it will disappear but you can click the little "Happy face" and it will bring you to emojis and you can search them.

Thanks!

• You're Welcome 1

FBTAff-4.png
FBT is an original (modern) supernatural rpg.

I'm at work so I can't share a screen cap of how I set my channels up, but I think it's important to both a) keep in mind the tone of the community you're hoping to build and b) be willing to grow with said community. For instance, are you looking to create a very supportive community or one that's strictly business/writing minded? If you're seeking that sort of friendly feel, be open to having more conversational channels, as well as channels built specifically for people to uplift each other (for instance, a channel specifically for highlighting each others' writing is always nice!) but if you're looking for more of the latter, you can stick to channels for plotting, fodder, questions, etc. If you're hoping for a middle ground, then places for all of the above are great.

As far as growing, maybe you're seeing a lot of memes in your general chat channel? That's great, your community has a sense of humor and is entertaining each other! Maybe, though, you don't want your whole general chat clogged up by memes, so adding a meme channel is a good idea. Obviously that's a very rudimentary example right off the top of my head, but I think little things like that can be really nice for community growth.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

There's a guy on Youtube who does some great advice videos and how to's: EagleGarrett

He's a twitch streamer, but a lot of what he does can still apply across many different servers.

spacer.png