Flintlock/ Napoleonic Fantasy Forum

Veino

(Press FFF to pay respects...😅)

So, yes, me with yet another idea since they keep coming, and developing forums solo tends to be a sad business for me. But I've always been fascinated by those awkward eras in genre that fall between medieval fantasy and gaslamp fantasy/steampunk. So much potential and interesting aspects with a ton of different eras of history that so often get overlooked. (Until recently!) I've just started reading both the Sharpe books and some of the Powder-Mage books, and they're fantastic.

I think there's a ton of possibility for a forum with a flintlock fantasy genre, especially something of a worldbuilding one, just because there's so much going on in this sort of era. Industrialization, the beginnings and clash of empires, a rise in radical thought and breaking from old traditions, the beginnings of democracy and the start of anti-imperialism, massive trade companies are still things, and not to mention urbanization and essentially the foundations of modernity. That and, you know, massed musket volleys and ships of the lines and cannon and the absolutely outrageously colorful uniforms. Plus the beginnings of steam engines technology. Also, Jane Austen was publishing during this period as well, as does Bridgerton and Frankenstein, so there's a wide range of literary influences that can be drawn from. Plus, there's thousands of portraits who have public domain versions available on Wikipedia. Think about how easy faceclaims will be! 

Essentially, it's a world in drastic change, and change is an essence of storytelling. 

Proposed Framework: 
-An 'old world' with five or six "Great Powers" with as many smaller states or powers that can fit, on the cusp of a great war between them all

-A 'new world' across the sea/globe that the Great Powers have begun establishing colonies (and I'm thinking they haven't met any inhabitants yet, but eventually run into another group of/solo major empire(s) already there)

-Some sort of magical system that's not overwhelming, so like a low-medium magic setting. Probably can still do Elves and Dwarves and the like, probably mixed through the various kingdoms, or their own smaller kingdoms, although they could definitely probably rule a few of them 

-Fleets! Regiments! Awkward balls where everyone stays six feet away and make awkward proposals

-Trade companies, trade fleets! 

-Maybe some sort of mission system for different factions in different areas of society?

Spoiler

Some inspirations: 
spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Edited by Veino

Aure entuluva! Day shall come again! - The Children of Hurin

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic