Do you write your characters, or do they write themselves?

Silhouette

I feel that when I am writing as a character in roleplay I'm almost always fully immersed within the story; and for the most part, it really does write itself. However, this all plays out according to the scenery I'm in, the people I am interacting with, and more.

I find that if I can find more like-minded writers, who can also accurately picture a vivid setting within the roleplay, that's when I can fully get in character, and everything else will ultimately run smoother.

Everything has an end, everything but me that is. I shall live for an eternity, watching as the petals fall from the trees. 

• 1 month later...

I used to believe that my characters wrote themselves. But, as mental issues and real life took over my life, it's become a major effort to write at all. Now, when I write, it has nothing to do with the character. The effort that I have to put in remains the same whether it's a post like this or fiction..

• Like 1

Longtime roleplayer with experience across multiple franchises and genres; though trending toward Sci-Fi.

• 3 months later...

Designing the character, building their past and experiences and things they've gone through that's shaped their personality? That's me, that has to be me. How they respond to situations and/or dialogue is all them.

spacer.png
Forum || Discord

• 2 months later...

It depends on the character, but my main few write themselves.

Generally my two main characters that I use (and their descendants over the years) write themselves. I simply ask myself, "What would XXX do in this situation" and just go from there. Though from time to time, a little bit of me does bleed over into them, especially when certain subjects somehow make it into the RP

Exitus Acta Probat:

The Outcome Justifies the Deed

I would say I have or have had several characters that write themselves, and they're the ones that I become the most invested in and I am able to play for a very long time. At this point that's my preference and I try my best to create characters like this because not only are they super entertaining for me to write and for other people to read, but it makes writing for them SO much easier!

bbrbanner_ver2.png

Forum || Discord

Oh, my characters absolutely write themselves most of the time. It's actually rather annoying. I am just there, watching a tv show or playing a game and suddenly BOOM character idea stuck in my head and will not go away unless I do something with it. 

• 1 month later...

For me its a bit of both! Sometimes I really have to think about what to write but sometimes it just writes itself. It could depend where the character is at their journey or whats currently happening in the threads. I find that this ebbs and flows the longer I RP a character but those that I have to think too much about and it doesn't come as naturally I usually end up getting rid of eventually. 

WIT BEYOND MEASURE

a hogwarts-centric, potter era rp

If the character fits a trope I'm familiar with, I guess they write themselves a lot of the time. They flow more naturally and I don't have to put too much thought into it. When I'm branching out though I try to be more conscious of exactly how I'm writing them, or when I have a character who's driving the plot I think it's important that I keep hold of the reigns haha...

A Harvest Moon inspired fantasy roleplay

spacer.png

• 2 weeks later...

Certain characters flow more easily than others, but I'm always the one in the driver's seat.

• Agree 1

I usually write my characters, though sometimes they will have a mind of their own. 😉

OH-sister-site-affiliate-link.png

our homeland - a wild horse rpg

• 2 weeks later...

I'll have a direction or scenario in mind and they kind of take off on their own with how they get there. While I can control them and rewrite things differently to what's natural to them, it's nice to see how things go. Sometimes it's exactly as planned, sometimes they whirl off into weird. It makes it kinda strange when it comes to plotting 'cause sometimes I don't have an answer to a particular scenario unless I sit down and get to it. So I guess they do tend to write themselves 😊

spacer.png
An Animanga Fantasy RP
(Jcink Premium)

• 3 weeks later...

Both. I rarely re-use characters to be honest, and even if I do, there's always something about them, that is a little different. Of course there will be similarities between some of them from time to time. That all lends it to very much be me who's leading the show. However! If I really get lost in a thread, and that's the best feeling, I definetly have to think less and it all starts flowing out of me. That's ideal. It helps me a lot to do short posts - that way it's much more instinct and inspiration and much less thinking hard to describe every facet of that situation. I hope that makes sense!

spacer.png 

Link

Usually they "write themselves" more, and a lot about them has been shaped by things that happened in the RP.

• 3 weeks later...

9/10 times the characters write themselves. The only time I have to prod them is if it's a new game I'm joining and haven't quite felt them out yet, or it's been a while and need to remember their vibe. 

spacer.png