How do you figure out your characters names?

Morrigan

• Admin

I've done everything from movie/tv/book references to name generators to things that just make me lul.

One of my characters, her name is Alice and her brothers names are Derek and Damian. She calls them the Tweedles. Dee and Dum respectively. It was just a fun place on Alice in Wonderland and I love it.

Do your characters have a fun reason they got their name? What is it?

• Agree 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

Some of my older ones that I have on the shelf have more personal names. I used to work at a place where there were a plethora of names that I saw every day. Some of the more interesting ones I would write down and some of my character names come from that. Some of the ones I wasn't using directly I tend to put on one of the sites for members to use or possibly find inspiration from it. I started that a long time ago and even now when I see an interesting name I try to remember it and add it to the list.

spacer.pngDecadence

Sometimes I just smash the keys until I see something I like.

Other times, I use a generator.

Though most times, I just kinda roll with whatever sounds good to me at the very start. As a result, I don't always come up with the best names for my characters lol

output-onlinegiftools-2.gif.27f54d3db458a355aed79097c05c01ce.gif

"For You Are An Architect; A Worldshaper."
site | discord

Most of my characters "tell" me their names as I write them and they typically have placeholder names until then. They're usually regional variants of the names though (so if a character is from Greece vs. Italy vs. Ireland they might all have the name 'James' but the appropriate variant - e.g. Seamus - for that region). Surnames are often randomly generated unless I am building for someone or they're a character that I've had for a long time.

FBTAff-4.png
FBT is an original (modern) supernatural rpg.

I have like... a running mental list of names that I like and would like to one day  use for characters if the occasion arises (and I make OCs like they're going out of style, so it always arises haha). I've pulled some from media that I've consumed (one of my oldest OCs is named Kylar after Kylar Stern from Brent Weeks' Night Angel trilogy), but often I'll just see/hear a name and go "huh, I like that" and it gets added to the list. Characters will generally pick their own names from that point on, and I'll generate surnames to match (I usually try to stick with language origin if it can be helped or is particularly relevant). 

spacer.png

home. | guidebook. | canons. | discord.

Sometimes the name just pops into  my head as I'm thinking over the character, like their history and personality and all that fun stuff. Other times it starts with a list and the main image of the character, and then just start narrowing until one feels right. 

Find me at:

Sunrises and Sunsets - Never-Ending Stories

I honestly sort of roll about google via cultural names of the time period and see what resonates with me.  Though a few were sort of just popping into my head as I created the characters. sometimes I think certain names just fit you know?

623de32ccbe3e666561967.png

Since I do mostly Star Wars, I use name generators until I find that has the proper vibe I’m looking for. Tiland Kortun, for example, for my ancient Jedi martial arts monk with a strong love of tea. Roth Tillian for my ace fighter pilot.

Otherwise, for fantasy I tend to pull a Tolkien and steal from the Eddas when appropriate or use historical data to put something together. 

Aure entuluva! Day shall come again! - The Children of Hurin

They tell me their name, usually. Changing names tends to result in the character being notably different, and for some people that's not a problem but for me it's a tragedy because it morphs "old" versions too, so most of the time if I need to change a name for some reason, I'll come up with something that sounds similar. Kassandros > Kassander. Ezio > Ezran. Etc.

Sometimes I'm looking for a specific sound, so I'll name something that invokes the right sound. Essair, for instance, came from the want for a hissing noise devoid of harsh consonants.

Other times I need a specific meaning, and I'll name based on that. I know way too much about etymology at this point thanks to names like this.

And then other times I'm like -hits regenerate on Behind the Name's name generator until I find one I like-

nusignature.png nusignature.png

I am the darkness, always watching, always listening, ALWAYS THERE.
(If you're interested in Plain of Ice, message me, it's private. Bleach site, non-canon.)

Most of them tell me if I ask. As I work on the character's appearance, bio and whatnot the name comes as part of it, and if it doesn't they'll figure it out when they're asked in rp. if I do go searching for a name, its because the character is already mostly made and I'm just looking for the combination of letters that sounds like them. I don't mind making up names either. I've strung sounds together, and let that be a character's name more than once.

Names are often the hardest part for me, so I ritualistically leave them for last. Now, once in a very blue moon I'll have a name before the character is drawn up, but most of the time my process is to create the character, their image, their personality, their story, and then after all is said and done... I pick a name out of a metaphorical hat and bam, it's done. That's their name. If I spend 3 days on a character concept, I tell myself to spend less than an hour on coming up with a name. To me the name doesn't matter so much as what the name is meant to convey. The meaning behind it. What should it sound like to say the name? It is normal? Is it strange? I think of the feeling I want the name to give me, and that's how I choose a name. Now, other people probably dont have the same feeling I do, that's fine, but this me just going with my creative intuition and it never fails me. Always trust my gut!

Now, my usual go-to resources are websites with records of common names from previous eras. So, non-modern names from <insert culture> from over 500 years ago. It's these slightly obscure name that intrigue me the most and I enjoy working with name. When I find a long name (4 or more) syllables that I really like, that's always special to me. Most names I have for characters are 2 syllables. I just have a preference for shorter names. Anyway, it's a process as you all know! Sometimes I'll just pick something I'm vaguely sure about but if it gives me that feeling I'm looking for, I will run with it. Characters will 'grow' into their names eventually! 😄

• Love 1

spacer.png

HOME ✸  RESOURCES ✸  CLAIMS ✸  DISCORD

• 1 month later...

I chose some names from lists of period-accurate names for the respective nationality. For others, something in a movie or a song or a book inspired me. I also happen to have favourite names which are recurring in my stories (RP and and paper-written stories/ novels/ etc). Andrea, Marina, Roxana, Emilia, Alexander, Jose/Giusseppe are among the favourites for decades.

It depends on the background and period they were born.  But if they are reasonably modern then I might use a random generator just to get ideas. But lately I have found inspiration in a podcast I listen to. As they share stories about people some of the names are fascinating and I have taken a few recent names from there.

My main's name Flahme was what I have used in gaming for some time so when I decided to make a redhead demon girl, the name fit perfectly. I added the h to 1) make it a little unique and 2) because I'm a Black Dagger Brotherhood fan and the addition of 'h' in names is a usual thing in those books.

Edited by Flahme

"You tie the knot, I'll start the fire."

~ The Amity Affliction

spacer.png

The World Withing - Modern Supernatural Roleplay (JCINK 18+)

I usually try to choose my characters names based on the time period of the role-play. If the role-play doesn't inspire me, then I'll try to listening to music or read a book. If that doesn't help, then sometimes thinking of the character's personality helps me build on giving my character a name.

Exadia_1607909613.png.e626ceeebe9fcd612aeb490e0e0b1079.png

• 3 weeks later...

Honestly, there's a lot of ways. Mostly I try to find the meaning to a name and attribute it to the character's personality/appearance that makes them special. I usually do feral roleplay, so this method works swell.

owner of some website ❤️