Lurking Ex-Member advice

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

So, really, I'm just looking for a little insight.  We had two people leave our site together a few weeks back. They left suddenly, with no word. But they chose to leave.  They were not asked to go or anything like that. But since leaving, they still continue to guest lurk on the site every day, looking at all of the new content, and constantly reading profiles and the member directory. Is this usual?

I've never experienced it before. Not for this long. A day or two I get is usual for people to still linger. But this has been a while now. And they cleared out their character information before they poofed from the discord server, so they are not collecting their character stuff.  I've known it when individuals have been kicked from a site to keep watching. But not when they wanted to leave themselves for whatever reason they had for doing so.

Any thoughts? Advice?  

- A curious co-admin.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's weird, but not completely unheard of. I've had some players qui RPs because they couldn't keep up or didn't like someone else in the RP (and didn't want to rock the boat, so they chose to remove themselves instead of raise the issue), and still stick around to read along because they like the story and setting and still wanted to enjoy the roleplay as a fan.

Glub glub.

I think that every person has their own motivations so I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I've had a website or two in the past that I left due to life reasons, but still lurked on to keep up with the characters and stories I grew attached to. Still, not being apart of the community anymore, I was too shy to say hello in c-box when I noticed most of my friends weren't on the site anymore. So it was an odd scenario for people to view for sure. If the lurkers aren't seemingly doing harm, I'd say just go with the flow. Unless there's some unknown drama or internal conflict going on, it might just be them wanting some amusement or wanting to keep up with a site they liked.

• Operations Mod

I don't know that it's super uncommon. As mentioned above, some people leave because they can't dedicate the time needed, don't want to slow things up, but will lurk around because they like reading the stories. On one hand deleting all their own character information is a bit suspect, but on the other it's also understandable - back when I messed with mandatory bio sites, I started deleting mine upon leaving because someone once copy-paste stole one of my characters. 

That said, there are some people out there who will pull crap like that and then lurk around hoping staff or someone for the site will reach out and ask them to come back. So they're kind of dangling their presence out there in that hope. 

Over all, the circumstances here are too vague to offer much in the way of insight. I wouldn't jump to the idea of harvesting for theft, but it's a possibility to bear in mind. But if it bothers you that much you can just ban them or restrict who can access what on the site. 

bannerlong.png

0_mainsignature (1).jpg

rpgida.png

Icon & Profile set by The Inquisitor of Dragon Age: Absolution

Hello'

Just had this occur recently. a person joined, worked hard and made an awesome vampy. Posted once, plotted twice and then requested that his stuff be archived and he left. We did as he asked, nice person and maybe just was not feeling it? Or maybe was seeking something else? So we archived the posts, left the app up so they could come in and get it for the two days. And he was seen on board for those two days, assumption was he got his app or any information from it required and then we archived it. Since then on a daily basis he is literally sitting on the forum but not reading. Just parked. He left the discord too .

Now he cannot read anything- he is a guest. So why stare at the place for hours? 

Its a puzzle. I wish I had an answer because it befuddled the crap out of us.

623de32ccbe3e666561967.png

For the original poster, it is not uncommon and I was doing the same on several forums, because I loved the story, no matter that I couldn't be involved in it anymore.

For the one who cannot see anything as a guest, he might have simply bookmarked the page and it looks like he is there when he actually reads other tabs in the computer.