Which Came First, Inspiration or the Playby?

Minx

I am always curious about other people's creative processes. I was thinking about this before bed because I've had it happen both ways for me, do you get inspiration for a character and then go searching for the perfect playby or do you see a face and instantly get inspiration for a character? Or is it a little of both?

IPsm.png.77d22ae2f096e4ef69c14b1ce162881a.pngSWEsm.png.88017424c39d2a9e36870fe4cb92c6af.png

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I usually get the personality/concept first, and then try to fit it to a playby I like. As someone who doesn't focus on mainstream media (or most TV in general tbh) I don't usually have an Actor or Celebrity in mind beforehand. This makes searching for a playby for a concept I have in mind feel personal, since I usually don't know about the individual, and thus there isn't a disconnection that comes with knowing about the Celeb beforehand. It's pretty cool.

• Admin

Both. I sometimes find Playbys that are inspiring and I sometimes find characters that I need playbys for.

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

It seems like a lot of people are inspired by FCs first. I say that because on most of the original sites I see nowadays, they seem to prioritize face claims over everything else. I'm a fandom girl, so I suppose the equivalent would be claiming your favorite character? Idk -- on the few original sites I've tried to join, it's been a mixture for me. 

spacer.png

are you an mcu fan? are you not a fan of what the movies/shows did at some points? do you sometimes wish you could turn back time? us too!

visit us at neverisnow.jcink.net

Inspiration for a character needed in the story came first. Sometimes, it came together with the playby. Other times, I asked for help, telling which kind of character description I was looking for.

Inspiration is first and I prefer to make a character and have something to write straight away so I chat to potential writing partners. I find this works best to get the character established and get into their headspace.

"You tie the knot, I'll start the fire."

~ The Amity Affliction

spacer.png

The World Withing - Modern Supernatural Roleplay (JCINK 18+)

I would say its usually the playby for me. I am a very visual person, so not having some type of aesthetic to start is hard for me. 

• Operations Mod

It goes both ways for me. Most often I create a character and find the PB afterwards. My character Mykola was originally PB'd an obscure actor from a D&D movie because it was close enough. Then one day I was channel scrolling and landed across his now official PB. My first thought was "THAT'S FUCKING MYKOLA HOLY SHIT" because the actor in the show I scrolled past was almost 100% how I envisioned Mykola as a character. 

On the flip side, occasionally I'll see a picture that will trigger off an idea, and build from there. 

bannerlong.png

0_mainsignature (1).jpg

rpgida.png

Icon & Profile set by The Inquisitor of Dragon Age: Absolution

For me:  Its a bit of both, sometimes the idea begins to seed in my head and takes off in a zoom once I find a PB. Then I have seen a PB and went okay I have to make this into something

623de32ccbe3e666561967.png