Thoughts on Playby (Faceclaim) using deceased persons

Flahme

Wow this is a really fascinating topic.

I was super active in online RP's literally 20 years ago and recently got back into it. Back then it was kind of the wild west of the internet, people literally stole copyrighted images all the time which forced the message board and forum hosts to make rules themselves on the topic. Like the boards themselves, not just the RP creators. Glad that people have become a lot more respectful.

But anyway, when I returned after my hiatus, I was kind of shocked that people objecting to using dead face claims was even "a thing." I've honestly passed on joining groups that have such stringent rules, whether or not I even wanted to use the likeness of a deceased person.

I guess because I see a lot of death in my line of work, I just can't wrap my tiny brain around how it could possibly be offensive to anyone. If I were dead and someone wanted to base their character on my appearance, I'd be flatted because it's keeping my memory alive.

This thread and other threads like it have definitely helped me understand both sides.

• Like 1