How Can You Tell A Character Will Be Successful/Museful?

Jamester

So there are times where I will think of a backstory that I think is good or that I believe others will like but then when it comes time for planning out plots there are times where the said character will get no interests or plans will be set and then dropped.. So how are you sure that something is going to work? Because there have been times when Activity Checks came around and that said character was labeled inactive or I got rid of a character due to inactivity

elizabeth olsen marvel GIF

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, it depends? 

Few things come to mind off the top of my head. How determined/excited you are to play a character, the environment they're within, whether or not other characters/rpers encourage their activity, the timing, and then perhaps how the character was set up as a whole (personality, appearance, etc). Overall, the circumstances matter. I've had plenty of characters where the concept was FANTASTIC, but the place I put them just didn't work out or fit (and vice versa).

Overall, it really depends on you and how you feel. It's best not to force yourself roleplaying a character that you have no interest in or within a place you feel unwelcome in.

owner of some website ❤️

make what you're interested and be passionate about their story, and someone will take interest in your creation.

Otherwise I have a try and see approach. Its not wrong to test things out see how well your muse fits, and reassess if you're still interested in using them after a trial period. its not wrong to decide that a character doesn't quite fit on a site and set them aside until later.

Agreed. Better to try something than to never do it!

owner of some website ❤️

• Admin

I can always find a plot for a character I care about.

While I think there are some instances that the group at large (aka the site or community I'm on) may not appreciate the character I can normally niggle them in if I offer some plots instead of waiting for someone else to offer me one (which is a hugely important difference in most cases).

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

• 1 month later...

Generally my character ideas come to me all at once. Admittedly, I tend to be rather impulsive when I get a new character nugget in my head, but I know they have staying power if I can commit to writing them past the dreaded 'meet and greet' phase. If they don't feel like a chore during that, I know I have something solid on my hands.

• 1 month later...

It's sometimes difficult to tell, but I think as Aphe stated, for me it comes down to whether or not a character is enjoyable vs how much work they are to play. It sometimes takes a little while to figure this out, because I'm stubborn lol and to a degree, all rp is enjoyable.

• 3 weeks later...

I have two thoughts here.

The first is does the character actually fit on the site? You can have the best character ever, but if they have no place on the site you're not going to get the threads you desire and be able to push their story forward.

What is your character's primary conflict? Do you have a vague idea of a character arc? In my experience, characters with no conflict (whether internal, external or both) are easy to lose interest in. However, when my character has a conflict they tend to always come easy for me. 

And sometimes a character surprises you and comes out as your favorite from nowhere. 

• 3 weeks later...

i usually don't know... until i start writing them. early threads i have with them, and interactions and quick development, will have a huge influence on how excited/museful i am to write them. i'm also a person who, if they don't click quickly, don't keep them. if a character doesn't mesh with me and it's hard to write, i don't waste the time or effort. my life off the computer is rather busy so i need someone i can easily write