How To Pick Your Staff? Common Ground?

Jamester

Honestly this can go either way at least for me.. For example I can think of a great idea for a site and I ask friends to help with said site and it just becomes a giant hassle down the line.. For example we're all given a task to create the site and if there is something down the line that happens that causes you to have to bump a staffer off the team then shit gets thrown in your face.. Like you cannot win.. Then if you place a search randomly on a resource site you never know who you're getting... How do you find a common ground here?

elizabeth olsen marvel GIF

I moderate solo for the time being, but when I do pick staff Its often a sort of talent-scoping from people already on the site. If I need an artist, I'd look at the art forums. if I needed a worldbuilder, I'd look at player made ideas and pick someone who had a strong foundation that meshed with existing lore. If I needed a community manager to keep an eye on rule infractions, I'd look for someone active with a good track-record of behavior in the community. in that sense i'd pick people who I know are invested in the wellbeing of the rp, and who already contribute in ways that help not harm.

its hard to minimize all falling outs with staff teams, but a strong set of staff expectations and a culture of staffing that encourages communication respects everyone's work is probably a better one.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I highly believe providing staff applications, along with searching throughout the site for active members, is the best way to look for staff. Applications allow them to show clear interest and provide any previous experience + information needed for you to review. Checking their track record is key too. On-site and any related sites that may carry over, as some sites stem off others, and that can cause issues.

owner of some website ❤️

I don't find solo staffing appealing, but for me, its inevitable in some cases. I will only staff with people I've known for a significant amount of time and who I trust without a doubt. I will put up staff applications once in a blue moon, but I don't mind doing things by myself and so it isn't a huge priority. I'm lucky enough right now to have two awesome staff members, but I solo'd for over a year on my first site. So I feel pretty broken in lol

• 2 weeks later...

It's better to take your time and find the right people than to rush into taking someone onto your staff team just because they're available and willing.

Definitely know that there is a difference between people who volunteer with an application VS those that you ask specifically to come onto staff. When you leave the decision more to other people, they are the ones who know how much they can handle. If you ask someone to join your staff when they aren't ready, they may join out of what they feel is an obligation to the community, but they may get burned out later on.

I don't know if that makes any sense, but I would hesitate before asking someone directly who didn't already volunteer their time. Some solid advice that was given to me by a long time admin.

Edited by Jo.Grimm

• 1 month later...

I've had some really not great luck staffing my boards, whether relying on friends or doing staff searches on resource forums. I honestly believe that searching for and promoting active members is the best way to go. I understand the inclination to hire/promote friends - theoretically you'll work well together and be able to communicate - but functionally I think this becomes very cliquey very easily and can lead to hurt feelings. Also, the one you get along with best is not always the right person for the job. However you go about it, though, I think it's absolutely vital to make sure that your staff is a role model for the board in all facets. Do not hire the member that's constantly frustrating, no matter how active they are. Don't hire your friend that never posts, even if they have great ideas. Staff should be bound by the same roles and should model both following those roles and staying active and engaged with the board. 

When a forum firsts starts out I'm bound to be running things solo for a while, at least until a decent amount of members make their way. I do believe staff applications work, and I run them by taking all staff apps in one place (ex: a thread) and I'll continue an interview with candidates via PMs/discord/etc. I generally prefer staffers with previous experience that I can look back on to ensure that they are fair, competent, and a good match for the site I'm running, as well as genuinely interested in the roleplay concept itself (and not solely focused on having staff power).

Start with FriendsIf you want to start your site out with staff, ask the people you trust and have a writing history with. I don't recommend staffing a site with people you've just met through directories and have no long-term knowledge of. 

Recruit from Members-  I've had a lot of luck with my staff process. First, open the site. Give it a good three months so you can get a feel for things and the members. Figure out where you need help. After three months, create an open application process for members who are interested in joining the site staff. This can be a google form or a hidden field in their OOC Profile (I do the latter). Leave this process open for another three months or so and then go through the application pool. By then, you'll have a good feel for everyone and a solid understanding of what you're looking for in staff.

I think picking friends to help is a great start but of course can get messy when and if things go wrong. In my experience, getting people who join the roleplay, who prove to be reliable and enthusiastic is also another great route. In the long run many of these have ended up as friends for me anyway.

Bel

• 2 weeks later...

My fellow Admin are tried and true friends who have helped me since the beginning. We've recently had to expand our moderation team due to a big spike in new members. Generally what I look for is...
- People who are willing and don't feel obligated. So either people who have reached out to me in the past, or have answered a call.
- Those who are practically doing the job anyway. A member once told us she read all of the apps that came through. She was doing the hardest part of app approving already, and a great fit, so we brought her onboard. Look for people who are greeting guests. 
- Don't discount the quiet folk. Has a member been with you for a while and shown interest, but they don't chat much in discord? Give them consideration. 
- Don't discount the newbies... But give them time to settle in first. There's nothing wrong with saying 'Not right now, but lets see in a month or two.' 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

I chose both within (for moderators, especially) and from outside (especially for graphics/ coding, as inside there was no such knowledge). Some people wanted the label, but not the work. Others were good fit. Until working with them , one never knows.