Re-reading threads

Morrigan

• Admin

Its always been relatively hit and miss with me that I actually ENJOY re-reading my partners posts. Sometimes they are so in the character's head that I find that its a waste of my personal time to re-read their posts, even if I enjoy the thread or wish to go back and reflect, so normally I'll go re-read my posts because they are always to the point and not superfluous (unless I'm on a site that requires word counts and well... lets be real I haven't been on a site like that in god knows how long at this point).

So I was thinking about it, as I was re-reading a partner and mine thread and I totally enjoy reading their posts. They provide a similar to the point perspective and don't over-explain things that really don't need to be over explained. I'm sure some of you remember my old signature:

tapestries_fixed.gif

But I am not so sure that my issue with re-reading some peoples posts comes specifically from word counts. I feel it comes from some droll need to hold characters in a single moment of time without actually progressing the plot. Sometimes its the thread splicers, or the people that reply to conversation points from three threads ago because they can't move their character on so there are quite literally 3 different conversations going on at once and you have to remember where in the conversation each part is supposed to be even if it doesn't make sense. Sometimes its the people that over-explain their actions or their characters thoughts on their actions. I don't need to understand the reasoning behind a particular mannerism every time its brought up. If you rub your neck when you're unsure I GET IT!

So overall this is a discussion about re-reading threads and whether you like to read it all or if sometimes you skip the boring stuff or the hard to read stuff.

I'd say, 90% of the time I skip the stuff that's hard to read because it just makes me feel mind numb. The other 10% its sooooo good I can't skip anything.

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

I don't write with people who splice, over-explain, or waffle on like they're trying to hit some arbitrary internal word count, so reading back over our entire threads together is a delight and I enjoy doing so. If I accidentally find myself in a thread with someone whose style is so drastically at odds with my preferences that reading their posts is painful, I'll find some way to end it quickly and explain to them that we're not compatible so we don't have to thread again. Those threads don't get revisited, because they're irrelevant to my character's story.

I really don't think I could do this as a hobby if regularly finding partners' posts boring or hard to read was a problem for me. If my own writing was the only joy I got out of it, I'd feel better served working on solo projects instead.

• Thank you 1

image.png.983b918f46a287076416c1e642250e6a.png

I pretty much enjoy re reading old threads. Even the newer ones.  However there have been a few people I have written with that it just looks like word vomit and fluff and I just do not bother. But some of my really long term IC relationships friendships even enemies threads were just so good and they wrote so well with it all that I love to go back and re read.

• Love 1

623de32ccbe3e666561967.png

• 2 weeks later...

For me it depends on who I was threading with at the time and at what point in the plot we were writing it. Some threads are necessary but not as entertaining to set up the good stuff. There are times I dread rereading a thread just to pull important information out of it and there are times where it's a joy to revisit. I'd say I'm probably 60-40 where I don't reread old threads unless I have to for one reason or another, but there are definitely times I'll do it on purpose.

IPsm.png.77d22ae2f096e4ef69c14b1ce162881a.pngSWEsm.png.88017424c39d2a9e36870fe4cb92c6af.png

Oh I love rereading threads, although I definitely reread some more than others! (A good friend of mine and I write a lot of couples together, and I love revisiting their relationship from the beginning...) It's fun for me to remember particularly good bits someone wrote, little moments I enjoyed at the time but maybe forgot about in the course of things, etc. (Or sometimes even bits I really like that I wrote myself! I'll admit it!) It's actually been kind of my ritual for when I can't sleep lately. I do sometimes skim posts on a reread though if I'm looking to just relive a favorite bit. 

I don't think I could write with someone if reading their posts was such a drag for me I'd never want to look at it again. Like Belle said earlier, honestly, if I wasn't getting anything out of reading other people's posts... well, why am I playing with them? I could just write my own stories alone, in that case. I do admit it can be hard to quite find the way to politely excuse yourself with interactions with someone when you realize you just aren't a good fit, but where there's a will there's a way. I think it's pretty normal, and not necessarily a problem with the other person--we just don't gel for whatever reason, no harm no foul. THOSE threads I don't revisit unless I need a detail or something (my memory is garbage), but they're pretty rare lately. 

OrielBannerBigger.png.a2ce06c92c5f48951844c258d418d92a.png

A Gilded Age 18+ Original Fantasy RPG

Site | Lore | RulesGetting Started | Discord

It really depends on the subject matter for me (and the characters). There are some characters and some points in my roleplaying career where I just cannot reread threads. However, there are some that have had a lot of character development or which were just generally hilarious that I will often go back and read over just for a good time. Then again, I've often roleplayed with people who have a similar style to me.

FBTAff-4.png
FBT is an original (modern) supernatural rpg.

Rereading threads is kind of hit or miss for me. I don't read threads I'm not involved in and I usually don't have the mental capacity to brush up on old threads unless I have forgotten important details. That said, it doesn't mean I don't enjoy writing with my partner. It just means either I don't have the attention span or I don't want to taint current threads with threads that occurred previously. If it's necessary, fine, but... For the most part, I don't bother. 

I love to reread character arcs and storylines. I actually have all of my completed threads downloaded and put onto my kindle so that I can read them  whenever I want.

I find that it helps me get back into a certain character space, and it helps me remember all of the plot lines we have going at any given time.

Edited by jessieberu

siggy

I love re-reading old threads, especially the ones with good memories attached to them. Sometimes it helps me to remember little details that I can bring back later IC . It gives me a bit of satisfaction to sometimes have a throwback or a nod to an older thread. It makes the story more integrated from thread to thread and having characters remember things makes them feel more organic to me.

I tend to re-read old threads in completeness without skipping over things. It's really helpful from an improvement standpoint (as well as it just being entertaining) to read things line by line and really remember what the characters were going through at the time.

• 4 weeks later...

I like re-reading threads. I do not skip.

• 2 months later...

I definitely enjoy re-reading threads, particularly if it was funny or some major drama went down. If I'm searching for information though, I'll definitely just skim the dialogue rather than re-read the entire thread. Other times I may just re-read sections of a thread. I don't mind if people waffle on too much, particularly if it's relevant or just good imagery happening. 

passingstrangebanner.png.ed67e1ebd6c483ac31e37a65aa393663.png

• 2 weeks later...

Oh yeah, I love re-reading threads. I keep backups of all my threads from each site I RP on, and love to go back and review them sometimes and see what my thread partners have written. Like britata above, I'll go back and skim things for information when I need it for new threads as well. 

• 4 weeks later...

I love re-reading certain partner's thread replies, and those partners tend to be ones who write their characters' perspective as though they're writing a scene in a book or short story: I love replies that let me visualize the moment / scene like a movie in my head. Over-explaining is probably a matter of perspective, because I don't like to read over-explaining threads, but if the reply has sparse details and no descriptions of the character's facial or physical reactions to the prior post(s), I'll just end up skimming past those posts when re-reading because to me only posting spoken words and little else is like reading a basic robot's version of a short story — no heart, no character, and little to no importance to the overall story. 

In my experience, the threads I adore re-reading most are the ones where each reply is somewhere between 400 - 1k words, with the longer replies containing backstory that explains the character's reaction (especially when it's backstory info I don't already know), their surroundings (if they've changed since the 'establishing shot' of first post), their physical responses to the previous reply or replies, and their reaction to the prior reply or replies. It's very exciting for me to discover characters with new backgrounds, new perspectives, and different ways of reacting to things than I've previously imagined. I [i]adore[/i] getting the whole story. 

This is just how I feel re-reading, mind, and is not meant as a condemnation against anyone who feels differently. This is simply describing what posts/ threads I enjoy re-reading most and why. ^^

Edited by Cosmos

• 3 weeks later...

I love re-reading threads sometimes. Get hit with a little nostalgia for ships past, or sometimes if I've been having a hard time connecting to a character, being able to go back over those old threads and posts sometimes helps breath life back into the muse. Life gets chaotic and sometimes you really do just need that reconnect. I know way back in the day I was used to doing 1000-5000 word posts. That is - not anymore. So it is much easier to actually go back and enjoy the threads without feeling like I need 84 years to get through the thread :')