Do you join sites with an over-abundance of gifs?

Morrigan

No. Lately this has become a really big pet peeve of mine. I think gifs are incredibly overused in mini-profiles and the like, and I find them very distracting and unnecessary, particularly if they display on the home page like in the member's online list on proboards, for example. I do appreciate gifs - I do around 80% of my online communication through gifs, particularly on discord. But I find it really overwhelming and distracting when they are overused on forums for aesthetic purposes.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think if it's bad enough to slow down the loading significantly, I'm more likely to just close the site and not return.

A few here and there (especially if contained to profiles only and not all over the site) don't bother me much. As long as I can read your post without getting distracted by a constant flow of gifs, I think I'd be okay.

Edited by crybbage

• 2 months later...

I like gifs. I really do. But my internet is slow so I tend toward simplistic sites now. If I had high speed internet, it'd be different.

• 2 months later...

As someone coming from Tumblr, I love gifs and their visual appeal and stimulus. It's a really fun process to pick them out for posts too, so long as they're noy mandatory (sometimes there just isn't the One Gif, sigh...).

Edited by Rainbow Wilderness

• 1 month later...

I don't find that it deters me from joining at the end of things. Some are way more demanding when it comes to that sort of thing, but if the writing and the general feel of the place is good, I overlook it well enough myself. Gifs are generally easy to find, and there's some good free programs readily available to edit them. That being said, I'd rather just have the one odd gif and be done with it. I join a RP board to write at the end of the day. If I wanted to dabble in graphics all the time I'd do a course or something.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't like seeing a lot of gifs on one page, I don't really know where to look first

Hello!

I have mixed feelings on gifs. I like them, but not used for every little thing. Mostly because my internet is slow and some times has trouble rendering the page if there are a lot of gifs on it. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I would say no, but here's the challenge - most of the time I won't notice, because I actually keep images turned off in my browser - I just don't load them. I also have a GIF/MJpeg/APNG stopper for when I do allow images through. It helps with privacy (no conversion pixels), it helps with my vision issues (give me plain text, thanks), and it helps with my internet speed.

So I suppose that I avoid image-heavy sites in general, because my vision issues mean that I generally avoid such things.

Longtime roleplayer with experience across multiple franchises and genres; though trending toward Sci-Fi.

• 9 months later...

I don't mind if someone has an animated avatar, or even a gif on their profile/bios -- I don't LIKE them, and don't use them myself, but I find them acceptable. It's only when they're inserted in the posts themselves of a board that I find them obnoxious. But similar to Endy, I try not to join image-heavy sites in general, whether the images are static or dynamic, as I find it distracting from the actual text. 

spacer.png

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I really can't. I live in a rural area and my computer will freeze if there's too much gif action going on.