When to call it quits?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Keeping this short and sweet to keep things anonymous. When should you call it quits on running your website? Multiple reasons/instances would be appreciated.

When the muse or desire just isn't there and doesn't seem able to be rekindled, when the site begins to feel more chore than fun, when it's consistently stressful and/or exhausting...

I think, though, it's worth considering what the issues are and if they can be rectified before pulling that trigger. Is real life just too much and you don't have the energy to run the site? That might not be something you can solve at the time and RPing is a hobby, is shouldn't be adding more stress to your plate. Is it the board culture that's wearing you down? You might be able to correct that, because we cultivate the culture we want for the boards we run. 

If your board is popular, or there are even a few dedicated members who are actively involved, I also encourage considering handing over the reigns rather than shutting a board don't completely. I've been on both sides of this and I know how hard it can be to let someone else take over something you've created, but I also know how much it just sucks to see a community and story I've out time and energy into just fade away. If someone else is willing to take things over, I think sometimes it's worth letting them.

I think sometimes boards close because they don't take off the way the creators thought they would. For me personally, I don't know that that's a great reason to call it quits. No new board is wildly.successful overnight, especially if it's part of an already saturated genre. Patience, effort and creativity can make any board appealing and the longer a board is out there, the more dedication even a small community shows, the more appealing it is to new members. Or at least, that's my experience.

• Preach it! 3

I closed my site when its story ended.

• 2 months later...
On 9/18/2021 at 3:37 PM, Elena said:

I closed my site when its story ended.

Thanks for the awesome information.

• Love 1

When it starts to be a chore to maintain and is no longer fun. 

apollostation.gif.cd7db540d2caff85d08b42abf82613f3.gif

• 1 month later...

I will keep a site going even if it is just two of us - so long as there is still muse and enjoyment. When I stop looking at it as fun, and more a burden. That is when it is time to close the doors.

• Fuck Yeah! 2
  • Preach it! 1

• 2 weeks later...

I agree, when the muse is no longer there and it starts to feel more like a chore - that's when its time to close the doors and move on.

When it feels like a chore. When you no longer have any joy for the concept. When it no longer feels like it's yours. 

When seeing notifications from the site/the Discord gives you anxiety. When the thought of interacting with people in an OOC capacity drains all your energy. 

[center][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/gnVUS8y.jpg[/IMG]
[b]Dragon Age: Post-Trespasser
9:47 DRAGON[/b]
[URL=https://herebedragonsrp.jcink.net/]Guidelines[/URL][/center]

• 3 weeks later...

Definitely agree with the chore statements. I try to keep a medium number of staff members specifically so that I can take breaks when I'm feeling anxious about things or if I'm just out of energy. Excitement/motivation takes dips and has peaks like every writer, but managing a community can be a lot of emotional effort. I try to share that effort as much as I can and am very aware that staff burnout is real.

Only you know when to call it quits, and it will certainly vary by community. You can always close and rebrand one day if that's a thing that interests you

On 9/14/2021 at 10:09 AM, Alea said:

When the muse or desire just isn't there and doesn't seem able to be rekindled, when the site begins to feel more chore than fun, when it's consistently stressful and/or exhausting...

I think, though, it's worth considering what the issues are and if they can be rectified before pulling that trigger. Is real life just too much and you don't have the energy to run the site? That might not be something you can solve at the time and RPing is a hobby, is shouldn't be adding more stress to your plate. Is it the board culture that's wearing you down? You might be able to correct that, because we cultivate the culture we want for the boards we run. 

If your board is popular, or there are even a few dedicated members who are actively involved, I also encourage considering handing over the reigns rather than shutting a board don't completely. I've been on both sides of this and I know how hard it can be to let someone else take over something you've created, but I also know how much it just sucks to see a community and story I've out time and energy into just fade away. If someone else is willing to take things over, I think sometimes it's worth letting them.

I think sometimes boards close because they don't take off the way the creators thought they would. For me personally, I don't know that that's a great reason to call it quits. No new board is wildly.successful overnight, especially if it's part of an already saturated genre. Patience, effort and creativity can make any board appealing and the longer a board is out there, the more dedication even a small community shows, the more appealing it is to new members. Or at least, that's my experience.

Honestly it depends.  Foremost I would say it had a lot to do with the lack of fun - the pour judgement of some of the other staff that led to way too much drama and also when it has in stories played itself out.

One of my first that I co-staffed on, was owned by a quite nice person and writer that I knew quite awhile. But once they owned a site they changed and it became a chore to try and run the site and exhausting with their demands.  I closed it down eventually as it drove good people away.

Its probably a case by case judgment call in that respect. Is it worth it to keep it going under duress extrnally, or better to close it.  I kinda fall to closing it.

623de32ccbe3e666561967.png

On 12/8/2021 at 8:24 PM, yuvsaha123 said:

Thanks for the awesome information.

https://breakfasthoursofficial.com/whataburger-breakfast
https://breakfasthoursofficial.com/chick-fil-a-breakfast-hours
https://breakfasthoursofficial.com/panera-breakfast-hours

thanks my issue has been fixed.

• Cringe 1

For me, it's when I've gone more than a week without posting or checking on the board for no good reason. 

• 7 months later...
On 3/14/2022 at 9:16 AM, Shaw said:

For me, it's when I've gone more than a week without posting or checking on the board for no good reason. 

I agree with you in theory, but for me, it's not just when I haven't been there, it's when no one does. My attention passes in and out - and some weeks, my work and other issues make it that I just don't even turn on the computer. But when no one is having fun, that's when it's time to hang it up. That's the base theory - as long as two people are having fun, it's worth doing,

• Like 1

Longtime roleplayer with experience across multiple franchises and genres; though trending toward Sci-Fi.

I've never had internal reasons to end a site its always external ones for me. Such as a certain stalker harassing me and the site and doing everything they can to make it impossible to post advertisements and the places I can/do are filled with rumors because of that person with no life.

That however has made me evaluate my sites after months of being open rather they are crazy active or just mildly so. When it becomes for too much effort to even get the word out about the site or even keeping it running because of all the stress and what not. Running a site comes with its many responsibilities that are comparable to having a job sometimes. However, when it starts to feel more like a chore or something you have to force yourself to do then its a good time to really evaluate if its worth your energy to keep up or if you really have the time for it. 

• Preach it! 1