How Do Your Hobbies and Interests Influence Your Roleplay?

Mistress Of The Obvious

• Contributions Mod

For those who know me, I don’t consume much media. When I do, it’s typically not something mainstream.  

What non mainstream media do you enjoy or hobbies do you have that influence how you roleplay?  

Does your roleplay take place in an unusual historical period? Any characters inspired by Italian Giallo films? Storylines or scenarios inspired by an indie point and click adventure game? 

I’d love to know more about everyone’s more unusual inspirations. 

• 2 weeks later...

You know me well - I love tall sailing ships, I love Wild West and certain other parts of world history, which inspire me accordingly.  Also, old Italian and French movies inspire me (sometimes the German westerns too). Or maybe I was once inspired by a Bollywood Indian movie...

• Love 1

• Contributions Mod

@Elenawhere did some of those interests build? How did you gain an interest in certain time periods and what attracts you to them?

I think my interest towards certain civilisations and time periods is due to having read lots of books (and watched some movies/ series too) in that field: Westerns (books and movies - I like Italian and German westerns too), James Clavell and others about Medieval Japan, swashbuckling novels and movies (the French ones are the best for swashbuckling - Gerard Philippe, Jean Marais, Alain Delon...), Alexandre Dumas, Michel Zevaco and Paul Feval are among my favourite writers. About Italy... I am not sure anymore. And I love tall ships since I was 5 and my mother read to me a novel recently appeared then. Later, I had read it several times, until I almost learnt it by heart. When I was 9, there was a movie series made after it too, and I watched that 20+ times.

• Love 1

• 3 months later...
  • Contributions Mod

I have an interest in Japanese culture and had a rp site that took place in Tokyo back in 2016.  I currently don't watch much anime, though that might change. I'm very slowly learning the language. My interest in Japan goes way back. It first started back with anime when I was a child.

Another interest I have is in old time radio programs. A lot of our corner of the rp world like to talk if things are like tv shows or movies. It makes sense because that's what they're familar with, but I think outside of books, it's more like old time radio. Scenes are typically between two characters often times nor more than four, that tend to be dialogue heavy with bits of exposition to set the scene. I tend to like the thrillers. I haven't gotten into comedies yet. With the popularity of audiobooks and the fact that you can find a lot on Youtube with the copyright being expired. I recommend Yours Truly, Johnny Dollar - the five part Bob Bailey years, Gunsmoke, and Suspense. The Twilight Zone was influenced by Suspense. My interest in old time radio popped up in my teens.

I don't have much experience in table top roleplaying games, but own a few and keep up with news. I like to see trends there and here and how they overlap. There are so many creative minds in the independent role playing world! I like looking at their games and adventures for ideas and game mastering documents for tips. I've been keeping up with them since my early twenties.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'd lie if my taste in music haven't influenced the taste in music of several of my characters. Luckily I have a bit of a diverse range of genres, so I can sort of... make them all different.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I love this question!

Irl I'm a musician and I find my descriptions for my characters reflect that. I often describe character's voices in terms of octaves. I use a lot of references to chords and notes when describing sounds. 

I'm also a huge fighting game nerd so whether it's action or spicy I write a lot of kinetic action. I'm a bit obsessive in describing movement lol.

• Like 1

Valon

• 3 months later...

My hobby is playing MMORPGs like WotLK. A role-playing game is a game in which players assume the roles of characters in a fictional setting. 

• Like 1

wotlk12.png.49683a84671a1749ecdabcbd76d15180.png

• 1 month later...

Yes yes yes! I have all kinds of weird interests that sneak there way into my RPGs. 

I learned alot in Anthropology classes and still find it interesting and use that knowledge to give characters different reactions or knowledge in situations. I've also given my understanding of American Sign Language or horsebackriding to a character. If I have experience with it, it finds it way into my writing at some point. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Lowkey, if I ever get interested in things outside of RP, I either give an existing character that hobby or create a new character, as a reason to read more about that thing. 

I do have more characters who like to crochet now that I can crochet.