Interest Check: U.S. Special Warfare (Female Integration)

Shaw

spacer.png

The idea is a military simulation based on the U.S. Navy's Special Warfare groups (Seal Teams) where women are now integrated into the direct-action side of tier-one operations.  Where this differs from traditional military-based RP's is the focus, which would be mostly on the experiences, training, and livelihood of females breaking the barrier into the recently only-male ranks of special forces.  For those who want the traditional structure of missions and the like, that would be the other half of the board, offering a little of everything.  I'm still brainstorming the scope of what a board like this should be to comfortably manage it, but I think this is a niche idea already so I wouldn't make it grandiose.

• Players would RP a predetermine Training Pipeline for character development (essential to team-building side of RP)
  • Missions and training, while structured and regimented, are the only things controlled RP wise on the board, the rest would be character-driven open RP
  • I'd like to utilize a robust award system for various things but to also break the monotony of constant mission grinding. 

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this as a viable idea.  I've talked to others who think even a well-versed military simulation has it's own merit, but I think this will explore some RP concepts others are really interested in. 

• Preach it! 1

Hi there, this concept sounds really good and something I would be intrigued to learn more about it!

Edited by Lucky
  • Like 1

Sure, so the premise is basically this

user posted image

The Naval Special Warfare Development Group (NSWDG), commonly known as DEVGRU (DEVelopment GRoUp) or SEAL Team Six, is the United States Navy component of the Joint Special Operations Command (JSOC). Most information concerning DEVGRU is classified and details of its activities are not usually commented on by either the Department of Defense or the White House. Despite the official name changes, "SEAL Team Six" remains the unit's widely recognized moniker.

• Female integration into what's considered one of the most elite special forces units in the world would be front and center of the main overarching story of the site. 
  • This simulation will focus on the lives of the members of Seal Team Six, both home and abroad. Kids, vacations, PTSD, divorce, marriage, debt, rehabilitation...etc.
  • Their is enough content worldwide both real and fictitious to keep the action moving.
  • 4 or 5 training threads would be required (simulating the required training for SEAL's Airborne, HALO, Diving...etc.) before participating in team missions.  
  • An robust awards system that is guided by the content of the writers for both posting and original writing content.
  • A promotion system that is strictly based on how you develop your character, and not on the number of posts you have.

As a former US Marine and US Army solider, I'm far from a content matter expert, but I know enough to deliver sensible and enjoyable take on US special operations warfare. I have been writing for a REALLY long time and as a vet, this level of management along with the imagination writers often bring to ideas like this, I think, makes for a viable RP. With those concepts, I don't want to scratch any deeper than that as it would lead to potential burn out for me and any staff that would sign-on for it. But I think there is enough here to make a nice little home for us shooter types that like some action along with our drama, and to really break down and explore women joining the direct-action community. 

• Great Idea 1

This definitely sounds like something I would like to be a part of, and would be very interesting to see how topics such as female integration would be handled and the different ways that the job affects the personal lives of the characters.

The training threads leading into the missions is a great idea, gets people interacting with one another and would be pretty good in developing the storylines for each character. It would also assist people who aren't a part of the community to learn more about the way the military operates, or those who aren't from the US (as I'm in the UK, so things are different in terms of rank structure, training pipelines and so forth).

Will the board be on any platform; Jcink, proboards, own host? Will there be a character limit in terms of making characters; and the option to make people within the community but not necessarily an operator/soldier?

3 hours ago, Lucky said:

This definitely sounds like something I would like to be a part of, and would be very interesting to see how topics such as female integration would be handled and the different ways that the job affects the personal lives of the characters.

The training threads leading into the missions is a great idea, gets people interacting with one another and would be pretty good in developing the storylines for each character. It would also assist people who aren't a part of the community to learn more about the way the military operates, or those who aren't from the US (as I'm in the UK, so things are different in terms of rank structure, training pipelines and so forth).

Will the board be on any platform; Jcink, proboards, own host? Will there be a character limit in terms of making characters; and the option to make people within the community but not necessarily an operator/soldier?

Thanks, as far as the platform, don't know which one would be best for it, I figured I'd look at which ones have some of the best coding out there (quick switching of accounts is needed) and go from there.   I'd never put a character limit on the site as the NPC's would be needed for alot of support. And yes, normal every day people would be KEY to this kind of RP being successful. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/16/2022 at 3:11 PM, Shaw said:

Thanks, as far as the platform, don't know which one would be best for it, I figured I'd look at which ones have some of the best coding out there (quick switching of accounts is needed) and go from there.   I'd never put a character limit on the site as the NPC's would be needed for alot of support. And yes, normal every day people would be KEY to this kind of RP being successful. 

Apologies for the belated response; a large majority are pretty familiar with Jcink, though not sure whether or not that is a platform you're familiar with. Proboards is a little trickier I think re: accounts and switching (I personally find it rather clunky) and then there are other free forums.

Presuming you want to do character per player rather than one player account encompassing all characters?