Where have all the word counts gone?

Morrigan

• Admin

So when I surf sites, word count/content/etc is an important part of the rules. It helps me know what the expectations of the site is and well.... I've been finding that lacking.

Now I don't mind a site that claims to be "no word count" but I want to know what your actual "no word count" delimiter is. Is it one word? Is it ten? Is it 80?

Right now I'm not even seeing this so its making me have to do this annoying thing and actually look at the posts on the site. Unfortunately for me, when I do this, I'll never find the results I want because rapid fire short posts are not the norm.

• So thoughts? Opinions?
  • Why don't you have a word count in your rules?
  • How do you determine if you will fit into a site if it has no word count and doesn't but a low end delimiter on what that means?
  • Would you join a site that has no word count just to find out that everyone posts more or less than what you expected and are expected to keep up?

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

On the site I run I define our word count as 3 complete sentences to avoid this confusion. We don't have a specific word count, but basically demand a reasonable little paragraph. It's part of how we stay open to those who aren't as verbose while avoiding extremely short responses.

• Like 1

spacer.png

23 hours ago, Morrigan said:

So thoughts? Opinions?

• How do you determine if you will fit into a site if it has no word count and doesn't but a low end delimiter on what that means?
  • Would you join a site that has no word count just to find out that everyone posts more or less than what you expected and are expected to keep up?

1.) We say "no word count", and we mean it! You can write 1 word and you're good to go. I've done it plenty of times, lmao.

2.) I just take them at their word. If I like the game enough, I jump right in and have at it. I don't play on other games anymore because I have no time, but back when I did, my experiences were always fine. I'd post my 2 word post and no one complained. xD I think because by then I had already established myself, shown I could write a varied style, and was deep in an engaging thread.

3.) I'd join it if I liked it, and then I'd just stick to my own style because I don't care. |: If they started excluding me as a result, I'd leave, but so far I've never had that experience. In my experience, people genuinely didn't care. I actually find that people are more critical of their own writing than those of others--like, back when I wrote MASSIVELY long posts each and every post, I never cared if my partner dropped a one-liner. I enjoyed their post! But I was in a mentality where I felt like MY OWN posts had to be long or they were bad. |: It took a while before I realized...wait...if I don't care how much other people write and enjoy their posts even when it's just a couple words, and clearly they don't care how much either of us writes, then...why should I care? xD

I actually did join a few sites in the past that I REALLY liked that had word counts and then just...ignored the word counts completely. >_> And no one said anything.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

soteadvert(1).png.4ef5e4df94405914a2b988b8ea3cde3a.png

• Admin
2 hours ago, Rhindeer said:

I actually did join a few sites in the past that I REALLY liked that had word counts and then just...ignored the word counts completely. >_> And no one said anything.

I've actually had no word count sites implement rules to exclude me off of them because they really weren't no word count sites. Thus why I despise the practice of saying no word count but meaning a minimum of some sort. It gives me a false sense of security when I write compelling and progressive plots but people don't like it because of some obscure sense of needing fluff.

I prefer to know what bed I'm getting into. I recently visited a site that said no word count but when I asked about it in their chat they say that everyone averages 200+ words per post. I mean that gives me a sense of the community personally.

Something that had/has always confused me is that people are like "it depends on the flow and if its a XYZ (normally chat) thread" for me to write shorter posts. And all I can think is, unless there is a million things going on, its normally a thread of conversation and communication, people talking. That's often what consists of an interaction. Yes your character may move around and perform mannerisms but overall a conversation doesn't consist of a lot of change in environment so the back and forth should be brief. Most people can consider what they say but they think of and on the words after the fact for the most part so why its always been a thing is beyond me (and totally off topic).

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

On our server, the rules state "... does not adhere to a post word count.  Write however much you feel adequately communicates your message."  And we mean just that.  Some players enjoy a more rapid fire, shorter post style while others like to write mini novels.  No problem.  I don't want to be in the business of policing word counts.  Players with similar styles tend to find each other well enough.  And if a player ends up in a scene with someone that doesn't match their style (for whatever reason, doesn't have to be length) - they tend to simply wrap it up rather quickly.  

I would feel leery of sites with "secret" word counts too.   I think it creates an atmosphere of distrust.  Like - what other secret expectations do they have that I might fall short on?  

We did add a word count to our character application - both a minimum and later a maximum (after someone submitted a 10 page character biography that was a slog to read through.)   This was an attempt to guide folks about how much detail we were really looking for.  

• Fuck Yeah! 1
  • Cheers 1

• 1 month later...

I'm just a moth-mod so take this with some grains of salt for flavor.
But a lot of the members tend to just match each other. Some trying harder than others, but trying all the same.

As such, we currently don't see a purpose in implementing a hard-set WC at this time. Plus, our community is still relatively small.

When and if it grows, we may do so then if it's necessary in maintaining "quality". But personally speaking, Quality isn't in the number of words.

You'd be surprised how intense a simple response of one word/sentence after paragraphs prior can really grip you. 

I try it out, and if I don't like the flow of the site...I leave. Rather quickly, in fact.

But you never know if you'll find a good writing buddy if you don't try.

By joining a site with no word count you're already accepting that everyone will write differently to some degree. Learning what others want from you is part of that challenge. Whether they're willing to meet your comfort level is what should matter to you.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Why don't you have a word count in your rules?

I firmly believe that some people can accomplish more in ten words than others can in ten paragraphs. Also, roleplay is my hobby. Why would I want to add more expectations of myself that would make it less enjoyable? 

My philosophy: write as much or as little as you need to accomplish what you want to in your post. 

How do you determine if you will fit into a site if it has no word count and doesn't but a low end delimiter on what that means?

Whether a site has a word count or not, I always read threads on board. This gives me an idea of "posting culture"--length, content, speed, etc.  There are lots of different factors that go into whether a board will be a good fit, and I can't imagine not reading threads before even touching on rules, lore, etc!

Would you join a site that has no word count just to find out that everyone posts more or less than what you expected and are expected to keep up?

Nope. See above. 

• Preach it! 1

IKiE2z.png

• 2 weeks later...

I loath word counts of any kind. I’ve not joined a site in a few years but I generally leave the second I see they have word counts or length matching. 

I am so far beyond having the time to even consider the length of my posts and I look for communities with similar mindsets. 

I run a no-word count site. If length is important to a member, that’s their individual prerogative. If post matching is important to them, I leave it to my members to make that clear to those the write with. I am not filling my time monitoring something that is so insignificant, nor are my staff. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

signature2small.png.6c6902665e4c91ca15240bd1f4a0bce3.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/28/2022 at 10:13 PM, Morrigan said:

So when I surf sites, word count/content/etc is an important part of the rules. It helps me know what the expectations of the site is and well.... I've been finding that lacking.

Now I don't mind a site that claims to be "no word count" but I want to know what your actual "no word count" delimiter is. Is it one word? Is it ten? Is it 80?

Right now I'm not even seeing this so its making me have to do this annoying thing and actually look at the posts on the site. Unfortunately for me, when I do this, I'll never find the results I want because rapid fire short posts are not the norm.

• So thoughts? Opinions?

Because it is a vapid and childish metric to use. One can say nothing with many words. And much with few. The notion that length somehow indicates quality is as inane as presuming a film is better due to it being 3 hours long, vs a 90min movie. Or that song is better because it plays for 30 more seconds. In virtually no other field or hobby would you use such a myopic system to sequestrate the "fit" from the "lethargic."

How quick people are to forget what matters most in roleplaying. The playing a role bit. I will take someone who does two paragraphs and can play their OC true without trying to be a jack and master of all. Then someone who pumps out 12 paragraph that is as consistent as my grandfathers stool concerning how their character is played.

Edited by Matsumota
  • Agree 1
  • Preach it! 1

• Admin

Its not really that, that I'm disagreeing with. Its the fact that communities that obviously have a specific vibe or average of what is a word count claim to be "no word count" when its inherently not true.

If you can ask someone in their cBox or discord and get an actual answer of anything other than "it doesn't matter" then its not a "no word count" site. People that exist on the community have a sense that there is a minimum word count/paragraph count that must be met to cohesively integrate into the community. If the sense exists on the site then I believe it should be listed even if it says "no word count but our site users normally average X amount" the average is the expectation and should be public knowledge. This is where my frustration lies.

• Agree 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

So thoughts? Opinions?

I agree, the majority of sites I come across with "no word count" do indeed have an expectation for words but for some reason find they do not need to clarify. Which is a waste of their time and a new members time. It would be nice if folks were descriptive about the sites expectations.

Why don't you have a word count in your rules?

I hate rules, one less to deal with, I also refuse to be held to a dictated standard as my muse can fluctuate. So if I don't have the muse to produce their expected 250 words I go inactive when I could be pushing out a couple sentences (with necessary details) and remain an active member. I like to assume I'm not the only one who goes through this cycle of activity. Though I do boast this information on the intro guides page just so folks know its a "we do not care" type of place.

But I've decided to implement a different system for 'player preference' so every player can dictate their preferred writing method and then y'all can join up and write books or shoot each other with 12 one liner posts in 30 minutes. Whatever suits the writers fancy. And the preferences is a page that can be sorted and searched so you can find ideal writing partners or when reading an open thread you can easily see their preference in the mini profile. Then everyone gets what they expect out of a writing partner, or at least this is how I imagine its going to go. Still working some things out here before going live.

How do you determine if you will fit into a site if it has no word count and doesn't but a low end delimiter on what that means?

I don't, I just click the X button.

Would you join a site that has no word count just to find out that everyone posts more or less than what you expected and are expected to keep up?

Assuming they say "no word count" but don't declare expectations, my answer is the same as above.

• Fuck Yeah! 1

wcc_aff_one.png.ee644d7c84e4471ab7231d79aa59872c.png freerphostaffbutton.png.2c941043f4d1bcb22ada2b22d3e60dfc.png myrpg-affiliate.png.5453a73021a9354b5b772ac4e15f7ef9.png

On 4/29/2022 at 4:13 AM, Morrigan said:

Personally I find it a bit stressful to think that the amount of words should be counted and be subjected to rules for length. For me that's not the point about writing at all - I don't want my creativity to be under any such bounds and don't feel that I can, or want to, ask that on my site either. We state that we do not coount words, that communication of expectations between players is key and that they should always leave something for people to respond to - that is what I believe to be what's important.

As long as my words won't be counted I think I'll be fine. I write cause I want to and I love it - so far that has produced enough for people to respond to. If I don't have the muse and struggle to get something down, I'd rather not post.

Well, since I don't count words I don't really expect it to be shorter or longer, and I never feel the need to "keep up" in terms of length of posts - that's what I like about it. Keeping up activity-wise though, that is another matter...
Edited by JulieWilhelmine

32931973_SAgif(1).gif.746e26b022202f76c8b58022c38b9a76.gif

5 hours ago, JulieWilhelmine said:

Personally I find it a bit stressful to think that the amount of words should be counted and be subjected to rules for length. For me that's not the point about writing at all - I don't want my creativity to be under any such bounds and don't feel that I can, or want to, ask that on my site either. We state that we do not coount words, that communication of expectations between players is key and that they should always leave something for people to respond to - that is what I believe to be what's important.

As long as my words won't be counted I think I'll be fine. I write cause I want to and I love it - so far that has produced enough for people to respond to. If I don't have the muse and struggle to get something down, I'd rather not post.

Well, since I don't count words I don't really expect it to be shorter or longer, and I never feel the need to "keep up" in terms of length of posts - that's what I like about it. Keeping up activity-wise though, that is another matter...

This is largely how I feel.

If someone else’s post length puts an implied pressure on an individual (in spite of there being no word counts and posts of all lengths are welcome), I am not completely sure how that is a site’s responsibility to manage. 

Most of my members tend to be a little wordy, but they write that way because they want to. They enjoy it. I have no rule in place demanding a certain length.  And those who write shorter posts on our site are no different.

It is just so far beyond our radar we don’t really stop to think about it.  

If is important to a member we encourage them to communicate with those they write with. 

• Agree 1

signature2small.png.6c6902665e4c91ca15240bd1f4a0bce3.png