Playbys That You Wouldn't Use Because...

Thanks to the idea of talking and discussing deceased playbys, I thought about bringing up the topic of those playbys that you won't use due to certain circumstances. For example, I used Amber Heard a lot; and generally liked using her. Never saw a thing that she was in except for one movie and that was because I was more interested in another actor in the movie, not her in particular.

Well, when things erupted over her and Johnny Depp, I was immediately bombarded with messages getting me to either change the face immediately or well... I won't repeat some of the things said about me using the face -- I had no clue what was going on or anything until I did a little research because I do not follow celebrity news. I ended up dropping a character I really loved because suddenly, no one wanted to thread with me because of the face I was using. To me, it was just a face-- one I happened to like-- not the celebrity in question.

But I digress...

I have the itch to use her again, on my own site because there is a character (a canon from a book) that I feel she would fit to a T. My question is, should I use her or would I be dooming my site?

And in that same vein, what other faces would you not use due to news about them or rather, what faces are you using that have had things said about them in real life?

I know Gal Gadot is another one, she said some things and I was told I couldn't use her because of it.

Anyway, I'm rambling. xD

Edited by Daenerys Targaryen
  • Love 1

• Admin

At the end of the day we are human and if we assume that the people we cast our characters as aren't human we are fooling ourselves TBH. I know that Emilie Autumn is a monstrous person to work with (so is Christian Bale) but I still use her as a playby because she is the perfect face for the lunatic promethean that is Luna.

I won't lie when I say that people that judge you based off of a picture of a person that they don't personally know they are hypocrites. Do they really know the person they are casting as their character?

Is Charlize Theron really a humanitarian fighting for African rights because she's from Africa or is that what is just published about her?

How about Lena Headey? Is she a good mum that really isn't anything like Cercei from Game of Thrones?

We are in a social media sensationalized community. One bad thing blows up into more I am thinking of Gina Carano in this instance where she said something that Disney didn't like and then fired her from the Mandalorian. She has generally offensive views but the fact that she has a different opinion doesn't make her anything more or less than human.

Sure there are bad people out there why do we get to be the judge and jury on that? I don't see why we are judged on the cast we make for the characters we create.

I'm sorry you were bullied into retiring what was likely a really good character.

• Fuck Yeah! 3

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

• Contributions Mod

This is a great question!

I like to use unknown playbys. The more unknown the better so I hopefully don't have to deal with this kind of thing. I really want people to look at the face and see my character rather than a celebrity. That being said, Gina Carano and Amber Heard weren't exactly big names until fairly recently. This is a problem we can all end up in.

What I find more strange is who is deemed "no go" vs is completely okay. I'll see lists on sites that state you can't use people and I'll see Gal Gadot, Chris Pratt, and the Kardashian-Jenners but not Ezra Miller who was on viral video choking a woman a few years ago. Aparently having the wrong image or political beliefs is somehow worse than assault. Amber Heard for all of her faults doesn't have a criminal record, but celebrities that do are often okay. Over sixty celebrities have signed that they wanted charges on Roman Polanski overturned. Can't say I've ever seen them or all the celebrities that called Harvey Weinstein a close friend on any don't use list.  The cynic is because of how popular a good chunk of those faces are.

To go into playbys I wouldn't use, one is Gina Carano and it makes me feel sad and not for the reason you think. I don't watch much media that isn't Youtube. Gina has been incredibly kind and generous to some of my favorite Youtubers who now know her personally. The Gina I see is a lot different than how people on Twitter see her (I rarely look at Twitter). I also have friends who have transitioned and are non-binary. If I had a Gina playby, it would make someone who doesn't know me question my motivations. I couldn't blame them. I should also add, I also wouldn't use Padro Pascal for his various Twitter shenanigians.

I think this along with when a celebrities dies should be up to the person using that face. If you were on my site (still slowly building on my end), used Amber or Robin Williams and received any passive aggressive, aggressive, or threatening messages I want to know. I want those people banned. That is straight out unacceptable and I don't want anyone on my site who has issues of separating out of character and in character. 

Now the question is how can you nip speculation in the bud when using a playby like Amber Heard? I'd suggest something like "Here at X, celebrity use is seen as casting a role. What that celebrity has done or didn't do is not reflective on the character or member." Something along those lines. Having a rule like that can nip speculation on why you're using Amber away. Typically I look at rules before faces and member lists, but some that's the first thing they look at. Yeah, in those cases, they might turn away before looking at your lore and rules, but I think most people will look at that first. It sucks we need to mention something like that, but standard ooc vs ic rules are plastered on just about every site including ones with these lists.

The one thing that has bothered me with our corner of rp forum culture is how celebrity obsessed it is. There's a subsection that is only interested in your character based on how attractive and popular the celebrity you choose is. Some just want to rp storylines from popular shows.

I don't think you're dooming your site if you use Amber Heard and have a rule like the one above. It might be a fun exercise to see if you can get people to look and see your character instead of what they think about Amber. If you want help searching for a similar look to Amber let us know and we can help search for you. We also have a large playby database that might help. I'd love to find out what you're going to do. Please keep us updated.

• Agree 4

On 5/19/2022 at 1:06 PM, Morrigan said:

At the end of the day we are human and if we assume that the people we cast our characters as aren't human we are fooling ourselves TBH. I

I'm sorry you were bullied into retiring what was likely a really good character.

Oh, I do believe you when you say that. They are hypocrites and the site in question, I have been there roughly 10 years (it's a longstanding Harry Potter forum I was dragged to by a former friend and just congealed into their furniture and never left, though to be honest I feel like I have one foot out the door already.) and had used Amber up til the point of being bullied to retire the character. And it wasn't just a member that had done it, either-- but a member of staff! Nothing was done about it so I did the only logical thing I could think to do as the character wasn't getting plots because of the issue of her face. It's sad that it came down to it. Maybe one day I can bring her back somewhere in another form, but for now, retired is best. 

On 5/19/2022 at 4:58 PM, Mistress Of The Obvious said:

This is a great question!

I like to use unknown playbys. The more unknown the better so I hopefully don't have to deal with this kind of thing. I really want people to look at the face and see my character rather than a celebrity. That being said, Gina Carano and Amber Heard weren't exactly big names until fairly recently. This is a problem we can all end up in.

What I find more strange is who is deemed "no go" vs is completely okay. I'll see lists on sites that state you can't use people and I'll see Gal Gadot, Chris Pratt, and the Kardashian-Jenners but not Ezra Miller who was on viral video choking a woman a few years ago. Aparently having the wrong image or political beliefs is somehow worse than assault. Amber Heard for all of her faults doesn't have a criminal record, but celebrities that do are often okay. Over sixty celebrities have signed that they wanted charges on Roman Polanski overturned. Can't say I've ever seen them or all the celebrities that called Harvey Weinstein a close friend on any don't use list.  The cynic is because of how popular a good chunk of those faces are.

To go into playbys I wouldn't use, one is Gina Carano and it makes me feel sad and not for the reason you think. I don't watch much media that isn't Youtube. Gina has been incredibly kind and generous to some of my favorite Youtubers who now know her personally. The Gina I see is a lot different than how people on Twitter see her (I rarely look at Twitter). I also have friends who have transitioned and are non-binary. If I had a Gina playby, it would make someone who doesn't know me question my motivations. I couldn't blame them. I should also add, I also wouldn't use Padro Pascal for his various Twitter shenanigians.

I think this along with when a celebrities dies should be up to the person using that face. If you were on my site (still slowly building on my end), used Amber or Robin Williams and received any passive aggressive, aggressive, or threatening messages I want to know. I want those people banned. That is straight out unacceptable and I don't want anyone on my site who has issues of separating out of character and in character. 

Now the question is how can you nip speculation in the bud when using a playby like Amber Heard? I'd suggest something like "Here at X, celebrity use is seen as casting a role. What that celebrity has done or didn't do is not reflective on the character or member." Something along those lines. Having a rule like that can nip speculation on why you're using Amber away. Typically I look at rules before faces and member lists, but some that's the first thing they look at. Yeah, in those cases, they might turn away before looking at your lore and rules, but I think most people will look at that first. It sucks we need to mention something like that, but standard ooc vs ic rules are plastered on just about every site including ones with these lists.

The one thing that has bothered me with our corner of rp forum culture is how celebrity obsessed it is. There's a subsection that is only interested in your character based on how attractive and popular the celebrity you choose is. Some just want to rp storylines from popular shows.

I don't think you're dooming your site if you use Amber Heard and have a rule like the one above. It might be a fun exercise to see if you can get people to look and see your character instead of what they think about Amber. If you want help searching for a similar look to Amber let us know and we can help search for you. We also have a large playby database that might help. I'd love to find out what you're going to do. Please keep us updated.

I agree with 100% of what you said. Your advice will be taken and I plan on adding to my rules (my site is in development too so this is out of the gate) that stipulation simply because not having it will just open up  a door I know I won't be able to close and honestly, if a potential member is put off by the use of a face for a character, are they really someone you want on your site anyway? Chris Pratt is another I have used, and never thought there would be issues with him! How strange. 

Will definitely keep ya'll updated on how things go because I am curious as to what might happen. For better or for worse. XD

• Fuck Yeah! 2
  • Love 1