What Could Have Been and May Be

• Contributions Mod

We've all had ideas for roleplay that for whatever reason never got to the release date. I figured this would be a good place to chat about them as well as some ideas that have been kicking in your head but are not ready for any sort of interest check.

One of mine was about a group of travelers after a massive world war traveling around helping to rebuild it both physically and by relations. It's a fantasy world with things like airships, sandships, and various species. My avatar comes from that. I was in the process of building it when my mom died who was drawing me the banner. It felt to strange to continue. I've looked at it and thought at times it would be fun to build it, but it just hasn't felt right yet.

One idea I had was based loosely on Aura Battler Dunbine where people from earth are ported to another world to fight between three powers. Only people from earth have the right aura to wield certain deadly weapons. Add courtly intrigue and power struggles between royals, different fantasy species, and a roughly medeviel time period. I might be able to consolidate this idea with the one above somehow.

I'd love to do something in the cyberpunk genre. A big love letter to it with hidden references. Outlaw biker clowns, maybe judges like Judge Dredd or something like Robocop, underground battles to the death, addictions to virtual reality, chips to help learn or bypass standard learning of just various subjects. I'll make it one of these days, just not now. I need to narrow down the focus and go from there.

What are some of yours roleplays whether ideas or full fledged concepts that haven't seen the light of day?

There was once upon a time a Viking site... I had a couple more ideas (do not remember right now, because it happened 7+ years ago, I guess...)

• Like 1

So I had everything all ready to go for a Portia/Stardew Valley/Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons style small town site where as the characters interacted and people moved in and the town grew, more forums would be added and people could come in and be, say, the owner of a flower shop and open it up, then people could work for the shop. There were only a few core places open and the whole thing was that it starts out very small but grows over time. I still really love this idea and I occasionally see sites that say they're based on those fandoms but they're never quite what I was envisioning.

It was actually ready to open but then life got in the way and here I am instead, working on my friend's pokemon site. Haha!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Reality is an illusion. 

• Contributions Mod

@Elena, I remember that viking site you were going to do! Who knows what the future will eventually bring. It might just happen one of these days.

@Huskerdust, that sounds really interesting and cool. I've seen sites based on that genre, but never really took much of a detailed look at them. I will say a lot of sites could use more player owned buildings. It's something I will have on mine. It really builds character.

• Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ideas of RP boards that could have been? Way too many to count, but I got a few to share

A sci-fi related one, where humanity has gone to the stars and settling new worlds. Several factions, some being quite cybernetic, others preferring gene therapy to achieve similar effects and so on. Everyone trying to get the upper hand over the others, while the major government tries to rope them all in. Intrigue and all that, at least until the big space aliens come wanting to probe everyone. Fun times.

Post apocalyptic where sun and radiation have reached critical levels, most of the planet becomes a scorching desert. Extinction on a global level, but there would be several city states, kind of like Greece in ancient times, spread across the world. Most of them just assuming they were all that was left of humanity. Utilizing advanced technology for the higher caste of society, while leaving those outside the city walls to wallow in the slums. Gritty stuff.

Supernatural based. Basically some magic people create a cataclysm with some bad ritual, and open up rifts to other worlds full of magic. Magic that is in itself highly capable of corrupting and reshaping the world they come into now. There's a lot more to it, but I'll hold off on the details because I might actually one day work on it. Who knows, right?

• Like 2

Okay, okay bear with me here.

Digimon Data Squad meets mature "Men in Black" style universe.

Where there's both actual threat and actual struggle in maintaining secrecy and security.
I find the concept of sentient AI in the use of the Digimon franchise astonishingly bare bones where it could have been complex.

I feel that a website that goes beyond the cardboard cut outs of it's predecessors might find it to be a thrilling AU.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I'm glad to say that most, if not all, of my ideas have either been completely forgotten, or I've been able to run them as tabletop games. That's incredibly freeing; if you don't do tabletop gaming, you should. But there are four ideas for me, that I either wanted to start or join, and never panned out:

1. If Pokemon Conquest was "Pokemon + Legend of the Five Rings" (I know, it's actually Nubunaga's Ambition, but bear with me here), I wanted to do a "Pokemon + 7th Sea" sort of game. In other words, set in a fantasy Europe of the 1500s-1700s, focusing on swashbuckling, politics, and Pokemon. The idea was that the PCs would be a lot like the Warlords of Pokemon Conquest.

2. A Digimon game that isn't ridiculously complex. Believe me, if you're into Digimon RP, you know what I'm talking about.

3. An Animorphs game that lasts beyond three months. This has so far proven futile.

4. A Transformers RP that allows Beast Era characters, without needing to be set on either prehistoric Earth or far-flung future Earth/Gaia.

Longtime roleplayer with experience across multiple franchises and genres; though trending toward Sci-Fi.