How Do You Handle Loss of Interest in Forums?

Nypromi

I am quite sure that someone else has already posted this but I wasn't sure how to go about in fishing through hundreds of titles to find it.

I wanted to know how people handle the loss of interest into a forum?

I have come across this a few times. I have joined a forum with much excitement but found that once a member and with a character made that it was hard to get involved with other players because they already had established clicks between each other through romantic connections of their characters. Often times also, if your character doesn't fit their choice of sexuality that they don't get as much interact with other players. 

I myself have tried to be respectful to them and let simply go quiet and then do a LOA that I had to step away from the forum due to personal reasons and wish them well, but how does everyone else handle this? Should it be brought up and confronted or walked away from and maintain peace?

Its a complicated thing.

If you lost interest, you should ask for a leave of absence or bow away (and tell to the staff what is to happen to your characters). It is better like this than waiting for a post from you... 

• 1 month later...

I've dealt with this several times over the years. It depends on what caused the lack of interest as to how I'll respond to the situation. Here are a few I've run into:

• When real life gets in the way (work, family, face-to-face gaming), I'm most likely going to just take an LOA and then disappear gradually over time. I'll probably stay a de facto member, if only because real life works in cycles and I'd rather just be "the guy who wasn't there", rather than burn the bridge and then have to rebuild it.
  • If it's a matter of a character I want to play not meshing well with the board and the active players, I'll  try to write a few open threads first in the most active location that it makes sense for my character to be in, to see if I can get a little spotlight time and interactions. If I've done that and gotten no response, I'll reach out to admins and other players, and try to figure out where my goals aren't meshing with others'. Communication is important in situations like this. Sometimes the tone you want to write and the prevailing tone of the board are different - ask the admins about it, and go looking for new sites to join that match your desired tone.
  • If it's cliquishness that's the problem, I'll try to insert myself in the situation whether I'm wanted or not. Or I'll ask a mod or admin about the situation - preferably one I identify as not being part of the issue. If I think the problem is that the staff are there to game with each other and don't want my input, I leave and find a game where I am wanted.
  • If it's in my own mind, and I just don't get enthusiastic? I just tell them I'm leaving in the way that best allows it to be on positive terms.

Though there's one big thing about me that differs from other peoples' response in my experience. Unless the situation really warrants it and someone has invited me personally to a new site, I don't replace one board with another the moment I lose interest. There are times I just lose interest in writing altogether. These times have lasted a year - or longer. I usually take a while finding a new site; monitoring the activity level against my interest in reading. I'd rather not write in a cooperative setting than end up in a situation where I feel that I must do something.

• Agree 1

Longtime roleplayer with experience across multiple franchises and genres; though trending toward Sci-Fi.