Am I a Weirdo?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

So, I'm preparing to open a new rp site. 

For context, I made the skin myself using a JCink base I found on a resource site. But everything else, from the forum rows and templates to the smallest things, I've coded myself. I'm not the best on the coding front, but I have the forum exactly as I want it. I've made all the webpages in the wiki, done all the lore (it's an AU historical site so that wasn't too demanding) and done all the canons and whatnot.  It's not quite ready yet, but it's super close.

And just to get this out of the way, I absolutely will be opening the site.

However, in the meantime, I've created a couple of characters, filled in their apps and actually started a couple of threads. With myself. Between my own characters. My reasoning is that I don't want to open a completely empty site (I'm solo admining so it is literally just me at the moment). I want there to be something on the site when people come to check out when I do open. But I have to be completely honest, I've been really enjoying writing threads with myself, between my characters. I also opened an NPC character, and worked him into the threads too. And, I've got to be honest, I'm enjoying these little solo threads so much that I'm in no hurry to finish them and open the site. Even though it's just me, writing with myself.

Is this weird, though? Do you think it's okay to write with yourself for a little while before you open? Collaborative writing is what got me into RP and I never considered writing alone before, I never saw the point and thought it a bit weird. 

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

Honestly, I've done this a few times in the past myself especially when I open a site without any friends or people from a previous but similar site to already sign up an join before or at opening. In truth, its kind of a wait and see game for roleplays these days. A lot of people will bookmark it and watch to see if it becomes active or gets off the ground. Some brave souls will join it right after figuring out if they like it. However, have had so many people lurkering the site or the discord just waiting to join so having some activity already underway and examples of the type of writing they are likely to see on the site can only help.

I don't think that's weird - I think it's bold. And honestly, it will make the game feel like it's not just a continuation of the original board. Plus, it might bring people in who aren't necessarily connected to the genre or the cliques that formed around it. I get the occasional problem with starting fresh, but I like the concept.  Overall, I think if you have a great idea, and know what you want to do, you don't need to stick to the people you know.

If you build it, they will come.

Longtime roleplayer with experience across multiple franchises and genres; though trending toward Sci-Fi.

• 2 weeks later...

You enjoy it, that's what matters. Of course it's okay, weird or not. 😄 The thing about being weird is that everyone is weird in their own way and all of that is always okay. And I think it can only help. Maybe something I should try.

Edited by Wilderness

• 1 month later...

I don't know if you are weird, but I am and I wear as a badge of honor. I've played with myself before too. It's what all professional writers are pretty much doing. They have a main character and play with themselves and sell it in bookstores across the globe. Of course, most authors are weird, so what do I know?

• 2 months later...

Indeed, at that point you are pretty much writing a story, which is not at all a weird thing to do! I totally understand getting so excited about a setting that you simply just have to create a few character for it.

There are a few settings I have in mind which I simply cannot find a good player to RP with. So I eventually decided to just say "fuck it" and write the entire thing by myself xD

Definitely not weird. You enjoy writing, clearly, so does it matter if it's alone or with others. I find that they have a very differernt feel. I have written with myself using more than one character, but the site I own there are so many people ready to write it's no longer necessary.

But, I do have one thread that, while it isn't two of my characters and only one, I am writing alone. It's a sort of diary thread as my characters love has gone to hell and he is stuck with the vessel. I wanted to document and explore how it felt to be around a person that looks identical to the man he loves but his soul isn't in there. it's been fun.

The other thing with writing with yourself as you will be more likely to get the outcomes you want. Writing with another can have all sorts of outcomes depending on how they answer especially if your partner is very spontaneous.

Either way, enjoy the writing and open the site when you are ready.  Good luck.

"You tie the knot, I'll start the fire."

~ The Amity Affliction

spacer.png

The World Withing - Modern Supernatural Roleplay (JCINK 18+)

• 2 months later...

I don't think you're a weirdo. I think it's a good idea. I usually start a community thread before I open a board and have all my characters participate in the thread. They usually don't interact with each other but I'm truly liking the idea now that I've read this comment. 

• 2 months later...

I think this is great and not weird at all. If it's weird I'ma be weird with you.

spacer.png