What Are Your Characters Names?

Mistress Of The Obvious

• Contributions Mod

I know a lot of us spend a good chunk of time figuring out our characters names. I'd love to know why you named them what you did. Did you love the meaning behind it? A certain sound or tone to it? 

Most of my names are just things I stumble on and think "hey that sounds cool". Occasionally I'll go for theme names within a family -- for example, my resort owner's daughter is named Holliday, and she has siblings Somersby (like summer!) and Irene and Paxton (which both tie into peaceful/calm).

IKiE2z.png

My current roster:

Sephtis

Yamir

Azmaray

Soren

Vesper

Firefly

Calex

Faux

Quill

Xeroth

Royce

Rizka

Estian

Raziya

Lumi

Nightshade

Zophiel

Lutao

Foxy

Albion

Harlen

Zelphyr

This is on a private animanga fantasy rp, so the names can be out there.

Reality is an illusion. 

I choose primarily based on where they/their ancestors were from, and whether or not their full name has a nice mouthfeel to it.

For example, one of my characters is a Chinese woman, so she of course is going to have a Chinese name; additionally, when I registered her account, I put her family name first since that's usually the order someone would give their name (family then personal name):

• Xiang Yue

My Belgian man had a different set of 'rules'; you might be more likely to have a German, French or Dutch name based on where in Belgium you are. This character is from Flanders, so his first and middle names are Dutch:

• Maximiliaan Emerens

But since his father was German, his surname is also German:

• Maximiliaan Emerens Stahl

My weirdest character name was born entirely from a typo; his name is Brody, but I mistyped it as 'Birdy' one time, and now that's his nickname forever.

My remaining characters, frankly, were chosen overwhelmingly because they had a nice 'feel' to them.

• Nolan O'Rourke
  • Sam MacLaren
  • Liam Toland, Jr.

ad banner 515x127.png

ILIDILA.png

Oh yes, when I do RL settings, I also choose names that fit in with their family background. For example, a jewish character with a jewish surname, taiwanese-american with an appropriate name. Naming characters is one of the most enjoyable parts of creating characters for me!

• Agree 1

Reality is an illusion. 

I also keep into account their nationality, the period when they were born and the family dynamics.  You cannot just choose a name because you like it, if it did not exist in that time or if it belonged to an enemy country when the child was born (and the family had no family ties to there), because it would outcast the child....
The favourite names I use in most writings are Marina (also became my penname when I got published), Roxana, Emilia (I would have named my daughters so, if I had any),  for men Andrea/ Andrei (depending on nationality), Alexandru/ Alessandro (again, depending on nationality), Giuseppe/ Jose/ Iosif and a few others.

• 3 weeks later...

Just going to post a few I've used and have actually developed over the years.

Adam Kurgan
Irvine Kinneas
Vicious
Jalik Himura
Anthony(Tony) Redgrave
Lance Grace
Victor Grace
Lillianna Grace

spacer.png
Forum || Discord

• 2 weeks later...

I have a tendency to use names starting with A, I, or M. I've mostly done animal rpgs - wolf or horse, mostly fantasy, but one of my main squeeze RPs is a realistic wolf rpg.

Off the top of my head and the past 15 years: Adalwulf, Isa, Ice, Aiyana, Mauja, Aurora (Rory), Aamu

Outliers: Sylvanas, Silverline, Waker

In the much more distant past I had a whole lot more on a whole lot of letters. What I found a lot of us did in these rpgs is we named the character after we found fitting of their personality, a practice I partook in as well but also questioned. How would the parents have known, y'know?

Currently I play a small posse. There's Kenza (I struggled a lot to name her, then somehow just sort of threw that together - her entire character was designed to NOT be what I normally played), Isanti (who re-uses Aamu's playby and I wanted to tie back to Isa, one of my beloved characters), Trina (named by someone else) and Malien. Malien is not pronounced like m + alien (aylien), it's pronounced with a long and lofty "aa" sound and no "ay" at all. Think Scandinavian. I wanted a name that felt like a mixture of angelic and evil, and I think it works pretty nicely!

KOTOLL - 18+ urban fantasy

icon.png.bd65e891ade50e02b038ea5f48741a26.png

Home | Discord

spacer.png

spacer.png

Many of my characters have normal "boring" names.  I've been into doing 19th RP for a while now, so if I'm creating a new main character or, more often, an NPC, I'll look at the census records for the area in that decade and pluck out a first name and a surname.  (Frank, Paul, Joe, Dorothy, Fred, Jesse, Gertrude, Elizabeth)

To liven it up a bit, I try to give at least some of them nicknames. One unfortunate soul is 'Skunky'. 

• 4 weeks later...

Ah, character names and rp thread titles are the bane of my existence. I am so bad at it! XD
I go all over the place with character names. Sometimes, they have a theme and I look up different words in different languages until I find something that sounds or looks nice. Or if it is a long, complex name, I can take a section out that creates a new name without a specific meaning. Just a name. Other times, I have someone else come up with names for me, or I go to some name generator. Either just take a suggested name, or pick apart a complex one to create a new name out of. And other times, I just go for a "regular real world" name if that's what fits the setting. Some examples of names are Keelan, Gideon, Hiero, Eleonora, Acarus, Saran, Phantasma, Nusair, Ariss, Sam, Nantha...

pOiwobq.png.2c04852c367d567a4d559da57101f1a2.png

• 2 months later...

Currently I am only on one site, two of my characters are canons of the HP genre but my originals are named Roody (a house elf) & Rhys O'Farrell. I'm actually not sure what made me choose those names, they just sort of came together. 

Sometimes my characters names just pop into my head once I get the basics of them going, this can be both before or after choosing a face for them. I'll often tailor it to their background, the lore, their species or powers. Sometimes the name will even change during the creation process. 

I'll use name lists based on heritage. If a character is Russian I'll look up Russian first or surnames, I'll search up fantasy names or futuristic names and find something that fits them.

• Agree 1

WIT BEYOND MEASURE

a hogwarts-centric, potter era rp

• 1 month later...

My currents: Wes, Andrea, Saeven, Ilias, Jamie, Asmodeus, Vellaris, Luscinia, Kyne, Hela, Aria, Giuseppe, Ozias, Feng, Baron, Phoebe. No real reason behind picking most of them besides "they just seem like they'd be named this". The only few I could say were picked for other reasons would be Jamie because her name is meant to be a reference to Silent Hill 2 (James Sunderland btw), Vellaris just because I liked the nickname Vell, and Luscinia was from some anime I watched at some point in my life but I can't remember anything except that name ^^U

spacer.png
An Animanga Fantasy RP
(Jcink Premium)

• 2 weeks later...

Some that stand out are Silence and Zephyr, but I also have an Anna.

On my Pern site I have names like Amaata, Jeximun, and K'ana

• 4 weeks later...

While I haven't made a character in a 'normal' rp name setting (do a lot of Dragonriders of Pern..no room for normal names here lol) my favorite names right now are Kaede, Askari, Niylah and S'rico. Names don't normally come easy to me, even if I'm using real names, I typically have to find a name generator or a baby name list..yanno, something to get the gears turning. 

Pern's New Era is upon us..

Pern's New Era.png

Jcink Premium, 1+ Years