Open for interview

Elena

I don't have any "don't"s. The answers might be more detailed or vaguer, but they will happen.

What started your love of Age of Sail? :D

• I read this! 1

Reality is an illusion. 

I was 5 years old when my mother read me loudly from the book she had just bought - it was a Romanian author writing a novel titled "Hoist the sails!", about a Romanian goelette expedition beyond Magellan straight, following Darwin's "Beagle", and only vaguely influenced by this actual adventurer. (Because ours are explorers, not adventurers, and they return, don't remain).

It was then that I started loving the Age of Sail, and Marina is partially inspired from Adnana, the sailor girl from that movie (but with different personality and history).

3 years later, the movie was made, and you can get an idea from the reviews. (Well, unlike the bad fifth review, I liked the ending from the movie vs the one from the book, because it was clearer, with the pirates killed, while the book only suggests what happened after they returned from the Magellan strait). I have watched it 30+ times, and I had read more than 10 times the book too.

Of course, later I read much more and I saw more seafaring movies...

• I read this! 1

• Admin

What is your favourite historical ship?

• I read this! 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

My mother says I must have been one year and 4-6 months old, as we moved from that yardhouse to the second floor of a block when I was one year and seven months.

It was sunny, the sun was in my eyes, annoying me, and I was in my grandma's arms, then she gave me away to somebody else. When she gave me away, the sun wasn't in my eyes anymore. That woman brought me to see a pigeon coop. The pigeons were colourful, and I liked watching them, fingers clinging on the wire of the coop. (It was made of wire rows like this: XXXXX)

This is the only memory I have from the old yardhouse. And my mother says that aunt Stela the neighbour who had pigeons used to take me over the fence often enough and bring me to watch the pigeons.

Favorite movie of all time that does not involve ships or pirates ? ;)

• I read this! 1

ghost_microkit_by_hyraea-d4c4grg.gif2nm3jao.jpg8120380.png?mtime=Vv_oIAAAYRw
:ghost:  2hmo3vd.png :ghost:
credits: [kitten][humerus][dragon]

West Side Story!

Then, in random order, Casablanca, Hannover Street, The seventh coin, Le Bossu, Winnetou series.

If you had a chance to meet anyone, dead or alive and spend a day with them who would that be? 

@Claire: I guess there are several... Don't worry, be happy and Caminante, no hay camino are the ones I usually quote.

@Amelia: Not sure... Maybe Indira Gandhi, one of the politicians I have admired a lot. But there would have been lots of writers too...

• I read this! 1

What do you think is the most under appreciated part of your country?

@Claire: My dream holiday would include a cruise by sea... on the Pacific, along the coasts of South America and upstream... visiting all kind of history full cities... Incas, Aymaras, the places where Bolivar and San Martin gave their cry and fights for liberty... and up to the Mayan empire...

@Amelia: There are many underappreciated parts. People say Transilvania, thinking Dracula (who wasn't even a vampire, just a regular ruling prince for that time... and not in Transilvania! There were equally cruel and more cruel ones in that time and 1-2 hundred years before). They might also be fascinated by the Danube Delta... and forget that there are enough places full of history besides this, from the remains of the Roman conquest to the citadels and monasteries built in the 14-th to 17-th centuries...

• I read this! 2

What do you think the most beautiful word is in Romanian and what does it mean? 

• I read this! 1

Dor ... it means pining for a love...  missing someone or something... And linguists say it's just one word in another language somehow similar, the Portuguese saudade... but I don't think it is similar, that's more "loneliness" than missing.

• I read this! 1

• 1 month later...