A roleplayers peeve moments

Amelia

1 hour ago, Parasite Eve said:

•People wanting to bring robot winged wolves into a slice of life roleplay.

Giggles...

Seriously!

Although at our wild west site, I did have a person send me a contact form asking for an elf character.

• Great Idea 1
  • LOL 1

Someone somewhere went to sleep and dreamed us all alive.
Dreams get pushed around a lot, and I doubt if we'll survive.
We won't get to wake up, dreams were born to disappear.
And I'm pretty sure that none of us are here.
~ None of Us Here by Jim Stafford ~

sagas-button1.png.467e9214ee1a2d2a24c0030301948c27.png 

RPG-Initiative

*your one-stop RPG resource site!

Winged robot wolves... 

I'd totally do it for an April 1st joke. Like: "Oh, you thought this was real life? Nope, hardcore sci-fi fantasy for you. Robots and cyborgs and aliens for days."

Also, Shades... did you try suggesting switching to a lesbian plot instead?

(Or hell, fuck them right up by agreeing to play the "man" but in the end reveal surprise sex change. Your character was never a man at all. Leave a few subtle hints in the plot here and there, which will obviously be missed, just to screw with them. I mean they felt it was cool to ignore what you wanted and try pushing you into a role you didn't want... So why not turn the tables? See how they like their precious plot utterly screwed because it wasn't what you wanted. This is probably a more scorched earth idea than you want... but it could be fun to pull off against someone who's messing with you.)

• I read this! 1
"There are three sides to every story... Your side, their side, and then somewhere in the middle is the truth."

1 minute ago, VirusZero said:

Also, Shades... did you try suggesting switching to a lesbian plot instead?

(Or hell, fuck them right up by agreeing to play the "man" but in the end reveal surprise sex change. Your character was never a man at all. Leave a few subtle hints in the plot here and there, which will obviously be missed, just to screw with them. I mean they felt it was cool to ignore what you wanted and try pushing you into a role you didn't want... So why not turn the tables? See how they like their precious plot utterly screwed because it wasn't what you wanted. This is probably a more scorched earth idea than you want... but it could be fun to pull off against someone who's messing with you.)

Nah, after them getting all dramatic and accusing me of pulling well... exactly what they were pulling, I got sick of it and just told them we wouldn't be a good fit and blocked them. My patience for these types is pretty limited. 

Shady McShaderson

On 1/16/2018 at 10:27 AM, Death Kitten said:

I especially love the ones who don't just go, but they *delete or deface* whatever they can edit on the way out. Like, dude, seriously? This is a game, (in many of our cases) set in someone else's intellectual property, and you're concerned about leaving a copy behind? What, are you not going to be able to monitize your self insertion character elsewhere if you wrote them in an rp for a while and don't rip it off the site as you leave?

Like, if someone was continuing to use your characters after you leave, fine, I get that... But your contributions to the game become part of the site history, there's no reason for the scorched earth on the way out if all it is is an archive.

That and, I hate to break it to you, but if you're that sort chances are no one was really fond enough of you to care about your characters being cleared in the first place.

I've only ever seen this from people that didn't get along well in the first place.

• I read this! 2
  • Preach it! 1

When people put up wanted ads they don't actually want.  At the moment, I'm having a great time with the wanted ads I picked up recently.  However, in the past, I've had some weird experiences.  Like the people who say they want this character for this plot… and then you can never pin them down for a thread.  Or the ones who promise to tie you in to these grand plots they've built… and end up giving you a 'slice of life' thread with nothing on the horizon.

• I read this! 3

5 hours ago, Blahblahbertha said:

When people put up wanted ads they don't actually want.  At the moment, I'm having a great time with the wanted ads I picked up recently.  However, in the past, I've had some weird experiences.  Like the people who say they want this character for this plot… and then you can never pin them down for a thread.  Or the ones who promise to tie you in to these grand plots they've built… and end up giving you a 'slice of life' thread with nothing on the horizon.

This! My last site was run exactly like this with my co-staffers want ads fulfilling a purpose as a connection and nothing more beyond that. There was no need, no plot desired and rarely any intention of writing and engaging once this box had been ticked. I had members approach me over the fact that they'd tried to plot with said staffers with the want ad they had picked up for them, only to constantly have the topic changed or find they were 'popping out'.  

My own frustrations:

• The Yes People. It frustrates me to no end to send someone paragraphs of potential plot avenues and needs, only to have a single word of agreement returned. No feedback, no changes, no collaboration. It kills my muse so fast and makes me feel that a person is simply not invested/interested and I get 'ima flake/drop/not post' vibe. Engage me, disagree with me, get excited about plots and characters with me.
  • OMG I LOVE YOUR FC HE/SHE IS SO HOT: This really bothers me, especially if it's one of the very first things said, and even if it's not directed at my characters. I just feel it devalues the character someone has created to reduce them to a 'look'. How does one even respond to that? Thanks? 
  • De-facto word counts on no word count sites. I personally don't care about word counts, they don't sway me either way since I typically post word vomits (and I've been staff on sites guilty of this). I know 'no word count' supposedly pulls more people in, but why advertise 'no word count' when you know that your member base may post 600+ word posts and someone coming in writing 50 words is just not going to fit. GDI acknowledge the fluctuating element of member driven/dictated word counts somewhere! 
  • I read this! 4
  • Fuck Yeah! 1

4 hours ago, Morpheus said:

The Yes People. It frustrates me to no end to send someone paragraphs of potential plot avenues and needs, only to have a single word of agreement returned. No feedback, no changes, no collaboration. It kills my muse so fast and makes me feel that a person is simply not invested/interested and I get 'ima flake/drop/not post' vibe. Engage me, disagree with me, get excited about plots and characters with me.

This is so true, both for plotting and for the actual threads.  Even if they don't flake, I find they're way more likely to be the 'yes' not 'yes, and' people (the ones who respond to what you wrote but don't add anything of their own).  Also, responding to what people wrote is more than just saying 'my character reacts and then x happens,' because 'x' has to be something your partner can actually respond to in turn.

• I read this! 2
  • Fuck Yeah! 1
  • Preach it! 1

When someone takes your wanted ad but they never make the character their own and only want to rp them with you. They make no effort to actually give them their own identity outside of your character.

• I read this! 3
  • Agree 1

rpgi-sig.png

+ :: c o m i n g  s o o n  :: +

On 1/25/2018 at 8:46 PM, Morpheus said:
  • OMG I LOVE YOUR FC HE/SHE IS SO HOT: This really bothers me, especially if it's one of the very first things said, and even if it's not directed at my characters. I just feel it devalues the character someone has created to reduce them to a 'look'. How does one even respond to that? Thanks? 

This, so much. I joined a panfandom/original site last summer and upon joining, it seemed to be full of good writers. There were one or two subjects in the OOC discussion areas that I didn't like, but other than that, it seemed good. So I started posting my character profiles. This was basically the first pm I got and killed my mood about being on the site. It seemed to me that they wanted a smut plot with the character because of the fc. After that, I didn't feel like being on the site anymore even after I deactivated the pms. It also didn't seem like the kind of site that would attract those kinds of writers, either as the focus was more on writing (and making your own game, like a dnd type setting), so I think that threw me off more than it would have, otherwise.

• Preach it! 1

4 hours ago, MissQ said:

This is more of a peeve of myself. Having a perfect image of the scene you want to write and not being able to delicately write it so that it conveys what's going on up there in your head. No matter how best I try to capture it, the scene feels like it reads more script or prop-setting than what I want. 

Writing is SO HARD. No matter how long you work at it, you'll always look back and be like 'ug, why did I write that trash?' or 'it's nothing like what was in my head'. But you gotta remember, no matter how much you beat yourself up over it, no one else knows what was in your head but you... to others, it probably looks amazing. <3

• I read this! 6

Emperor468x60.png.b7bb87f952ee0dcc7a97150c6258c8f9.png

Captain Amelia Waterhouse, Commanding Officer

=/\= Join =/\= Roster & Openings =/\= Rules =/\= Chat =/\=

"It is human nature to yearn to be what we were never intended for. It is singular, but it is so." -Mark Twain

When a board has an application process that must be posted within an HTML template that has rollovers, specific image and size restrictions, no going over a certain word limit, and requires you to find lyrics in a song that represents your character. Sure it might look pretty and sparkly, but that's just unnecessarily complicated.

• I read this! 3
  • Agree 1
  • Preach it! 1

The fact that you can put all the disclaimers and warnings you want on something, but still get let down by people who just don't care and do it anyway. For example a million warnings in wanted ads stating only to take these if you're going to be a committed long-term member. Wanted ads still taken up by drive by appers who disappear in a week.

Edited by Honorem
  • I read this! 3