A roleplayers peeve moments

Amelia

20 hours ago, SithLordOfSnark said:

I hate when there's a limit on plots - To me that's like saying "I can own the only coffee shop in town." Dudewut?

I mean I get not wanting 50 different coffeeshops, but when only certain people get them it's a bit suspicious.

• Agree 1

"You're not X, you shouldn't be writing an X character"

I can assure you I'm not a pimp in his 30s who looks like Chris Evans or a corrupt politician who looks like Andy Garcia either. Yet I'm still writing both of these. And many others. Look, I get being respectful to the characters we're representing because there are real people out there who are "them". But if nobody can ever write something they're not... why even RP at all?

• Agree 1
  • LOL 1
  • Preach it! 1

Shady McShaderson

6 minutes ago, Shades said:

"You're not X, you shouldn't be writing an X character"

I can assure you I'm not a pimp in his 30s who looks like Chris Evans or a corrupt politician who looks like Andy Garcia either. Yet I'm still writing both of these. And many others. Look, I get being respectful to the characters we're representing because there are real people out there who are "them". But if nobody can ever write something they're not... why even RP at all?

This is so, so important. How does anyone ever expect to see any kind of representation if you can't write characters who are of a different background from you? It's definitely vital to do proper research and so forth, but imo, nothing is off limits. Nothing.

• Preach it! 2

1768993049_lssig.png.528ca56ae06dad54600991b2a8d34cf9.png

It's probably been said before, but people who make these really obscure characters that have no opportunity to move about or meet others. Like an ancient evil being who wants to destroy the world, and whose values are so far removed from every other character, that there's no way to interact with them.

Where possible I try to nudge them in the direction of making something more adaptable as their first character. Those that don't take this advice almost always end up complaining about why their incredibly inaccessible character has no one wanting to RP with it, or worse, accusing the site of being a clique and storming out never to be seen again.

On some level I do feel sorry when their idea gets no interest. But at the same time, most people are not interested in an incredibly off-the-wall idea. There needs to be a middle ground at some point.

1 hour ago, Honorem said:

It's probably been said before, but people who make these really obscure characters that have no opportunity to move about or meet others. Like an ancient evil being who wants to destroy the world, and whose values are so far removed from every other character, that there's no way to interact with them.

Where possible I try to nudge them in the direction of making something more adaptable as their first character. Those that don't take this advice almost always end up complaining about why their incredibly inaccessible character has no one wanting to RP with it, or worse, accusing the site of being a clique and storming out never to be seen again.

On some level I do feel sorry when their idea gets no interest. But at the same time, most people are not interested in an incredibly off-the-wall idea. There needs to be a middle ground at some point.

When new players come in with an "off the wall idea", I always check to see which of our existing characters could reasonably interact with them in anything beyond a meet and greet. Regardless, I try to encourage them to make that character as their second to allow them to explore the idea without the disappointment of it being their only character and so them not getting much play.

My peeve is the tragically low ratio of people who take that advice >.<

• Preach it! 2

IKiE2z.png

My new RP Peeve is when there is an issue between two players, but only one player is willing to hear what the other person has to say.

I've had a situation that I was willing to sit down with a person and go through everything that was bothering them - and apologize for it -, but when I mentioned a few things I felt were off about their behavior, they immediately removed themself from the conversation. It feels odd because the idea wasn't even mine to begin with. 

• Like 2

Everytime. The Whole cast. I'm tired of seeing it. Do you have malfunctions? Are y'all that thristy? This is a sad state of affairs, swear.

It will always grind my gears when people think it's ok to link to other rp sites and then act all huffy when you point out that it's not ok. 

Now I've been out of it for awhile, but it's to my knowledge that not linking to other sites is just common courtesy. Have things changed? Because honestly, there's no need for people to be rude when they find another place to rp

If people are going to be disrespectful, then good riddance.

• Agree 1
  • Preach it! 2

• 2 weeks later...

I cannot help but get annoyed at players who feel the need to take whatever game/movie/whatever has their fancy at the moment and try to cram that exact thing into their roleplaying. I can get and accept getting inspired by something and trying to put your own spin on it to make it work within the confines of the universe. Ripping off - to the point that's it predictable what you're going to try to make based on whatever you've been talking about watching/playing a lot lately - is lazy.

• Preach it! 2

Administrator, Star Wars Universe RP

An AU Star Wars Roleplay set in the Old Republic era

Story | Cast

On 9/17/2019 at 6:52 PM, SithLordOfSnark said:

When someone takes a canon character that canonically despises another canon character just because they hate the person that plays said character.

Like how fucking petty can you be?

When someone takes a canon character that canonically is romantic with another canon character because they're obsessed with the person who plays said character.

Serious creepiness goings on. But similar, so I had to give you cred. 

• Cringe 2

spacer.png

Magic solutions. 

You know, I throw problems at my characters because I want them to struggle. 

There's plot in the struggle.

So when you PM me with a magic solution to said problem, I'm gonna say no. 

Stop trying to make things boring.

• Preach it! 2

Reality is an illusion. 

2 hours ago, Zozma said:

Magic solutions. 

You know, I throw problems at my characters because I want them to struggle. 

There's plot in the struggle.

So when you PM me with a magic solution to said problem, I'm gonna say no. 

Stop trying to make things boring.

I once did some writing with someone who was always like this.

They were a really nice person, we got along, and they had interesting ideas. To be fair they rolled with a lot of punches but every time I had something big happen, like an obstacle to overcome, they would just have some quick solution. It wasn't always particularly offensive, but it was enough to make me go '...really?'

I was too nice to tell them no, because, often in chat, we would talk and then boom a thread happened. I liked them in all honesty. Looking back, maybe I should have spoken with them more because maybe they would have listened if I asked them about x, y, z. But yeah. It got to a point where it rubbed me the wrong way too much to want to plot with them anymore.

As for a peeve, this is more of a nitpick and just not being confident: Sites that have established plots, especially ones that have been around for awhile, always make me uncomfortable because there's soooo much lore. I don't want to bring something to the spite that might upset what's already there no matter how friendly and welcoming the staff seem. 

Anonymous poster hash: 6eccc...1de

• Agree 1

On 9/17/2019 at 5:52 PM, SithLordOfSnark said:

When someone takes a canon character that canonically despises another canon character just because they hate the person that plays said character.

Like how fucking petty can you be?

Or when an admin purposefully suggests a playby for a new problem member's character because it used to belong to a player they disliked. (When New Character was going to end up playing with Old Character's love interest.)

Related to that, one of my pet peeves is when Player DramaTM directly affects IC stuff. Or when IC stuff turns into Player Drama. (Stop holding a grudge against a real person for something a character did.)

• Agree 1

When I wake up and while still half asleep type out about half a post, thinking it will make things easier and I can finish it up later in the day. One of two things happen:

- My post is incoherent due to being half asleep.

- I forget to save Word before closing the document, and lose it all.

• Preach it! 1
  • Cringe 1

There's plenty of stuff honestly. One thing is the difference in grammar between my mother tongue and English, so using some descriptive terms is not as easy as I wanted. Second is people either beating around the bush or just directly asking me about smut based roleplays. Another thing is, I usually don't take other people's requests, because I usually have so many things I want to do and I'm not satisfied until I get it, so I don't want to waste anyone's time with other stuff. So I'll post a request thread, all explained in detail as I explain what I'm looking for and that I'm currently not doing anything else, then someone messages me asking about something completely different and I feel like an ass for telling them no. Please read people's request threads if you want to message them 😢🙏

And last thing I can remember are the overpowering characters or people who wants my characters to act a certain way (most of which is clearly out of character). That just rubs me the wrong way and I'll drop the person then and there without saying anything. I don't wanna deal with that bs.

• Agree 2
  • Preach it! 1

bram stokers dracula GIF