A roleplayers peeve moments

Amelia

When you have difficulty keeping your emotions separate from that of your character's. So when another character insults, snubs or bullies your character, you take it way too personally, even though you know you shouldn't 😞

• Love 1

• 3 months later...

"I'm a literate roleplayer!"

Well, if you're on a writing forum dedicated to story telling, I would hope you're literate. Telling me you're literate honestly means nothing to me. Especially when you wanna preach about how stupid it is for people to misuse words, and then you go ahead an misuse literate, which, by definition, simply means you are able to read and write to where people can understand you.

We're all amateurs here. 

Stooooooooop.

• Fuck Yeah! 2
  • Preach it! 1

On 2/10/2020 at 5:11 AM, Sil said:

Well, if you're on a writing forum dedicated to story telling, I would hope you're literate. Telling me you're literate honestly means nothing to me. Especially when you wanna preach about how stupid it is for people to misuse words, and then you go ahead an misuse literate, which, by definition, simply means you are able to read and write to where people can understand you.

We're all amateurs here. 

Stooooooooop.

This. Oh. My. God. This. Your inability to properly use words, grammar, mechanics, etc. does not mean you lack literacy. The word these people are looking for is proficiency.  And I haaaaate having to select what level of "literate" I am. Apparently I fall into advanced? What a way to tell people not to RP with me, because I'm an utter snob. I am all for encouraging learning, especially when it comes to language. The whole "literacy" label is a bunch of bullshit though.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/10/2020 at 4:11 AM, Sil said:

We're all amateurs here. 

Stooooooooop.

Yuuuuuuppppp! Throw in that they are an advanced literate roleplayer and it is even better. Like just stop Nancy, nobody is impressed with you.

Additionally, when you have written an open group post (that only you and 1 other have posted in, once each so there isn't much to sort through). The first two paragraphs of the post set the scene and describe the surroundings, really to the point where it is obvious. A player comes on who frequently mentions they don't have enough threads (though they won't go plot with anyone they have pre-established connections with) so you encourage them to participate in this thread. They do and their response is so obvious that they didn't read a single line of the starting post or the other follow up post and you just sigh in frustration. Like it couldn't have been more clear that they were at the house. Not the club. Are you sure you are in the right thread Nancy?

• Agree 1

Platinum and Pearls

a real life rp set in a fictional version of Monaco

advertisement.png

• 2 weeks later...

When you're the only one driving a thread. When your writing partner may as well be blinking at you owlishly because they don't quite get the memo that roleplaying is a two way street and the story you're writing requires both people to be engaging and capable of taking control of the way the thread is heading. Roleplaying is not a 'you drive, and I'll just watch the scenery go by' activity. 🙃

• Agree 2

"widows, ghosts, lovers sit and sing in the dark, arched marrow of me."
1396128257_Bloodlinespaidad.png.d09a675bc97e605f48b34846ff6d666c.png

I really don't appreciate florally language in an app. Half of it reads like poetry waffle and doesn't tell me anything about the character. If I squint it might say something about the family or background, but most of the time these lengthy florally ones don't and I end up having to DM them asking them to clear up almost everything. So where is X from? What was their family situation like growing up? Do they have siblings? What does "floral phrase" actually mean? Where were they raised? It's hinted foster care but the language choice makes it super hard to know. Basically....cut out the super floral and just explain things in ways readers can actually follow without a translater, thanks. 

"They are the best at what they do"....this phrase just bugs the ever loving crap out of me. I blame Logan/Wolverine players due to it being a quote of their comic canon. But really, it's a quote and not an actual fact. There are many badass assassin characters in the existence of the comic and other media worlds. If I have to see this as a factual statement in an app i'll scream. "Best there is at doing XYZ" is subjective, not factual. Otherwise you're telling the entire forum you character is better than anyone else at doing something and nobody can argue it. Any phrase that states someone is best at, unbeatable, or otherwise top dog without question is a phrase to burn for me. Nope nope nope. That is why there are so many debates about comic heroes VS others to see who might win and everyone has a different opinion on every forum I read it on. 

• Agree 4

spacer.png

• 3 weeks later...

Unrealistic characters. Goody-two-shoes. Characters that fuck up game wide plots.

Plots capitalizing on real tragic events. I would never have a holocaust rp, for example. And adding a pandemic to a rl rp right now just reeks of yuck. 

Reality is an illusion. 

Referring to trans characters as "male" or "female." Like a trans man character referred to as "female" skeeves me tf out.

• Cringe 4

• 1 month later...

OOC worship of villains. Not because they are well-written, but because something about lacking empathy for others is seen as "desirable" or "badass". 

• Agree 2

4rlXnvM.png

Maudlin
A Post-War Marauders AU, 1985

• 1 month later...

For me its definitely more than one thing. xD 

1. When people ignore me for no reason. Like, come on. We're all adults. If you're having an issue with me or my writing/my characters, just let me know. It won't be the end of the world, I promise. 

2. When someone comes at me trying to ship with my characters, even when I've explicitly told them about how my boys are fickle and only do organic ships. 

3. When people get super into a ship with me, only to let the bottom fall out later without an explanation. At least let me know what I did wrong so I can fix my behavior, damn. 

4. Being lied to or played with/manipulated. We're grown now, we don't need that petty bs around anymore. 

5. When people talk about me behind my back. Like, come on. I'm not stupid. I've been rping for 13 years now I know when people start acting funny around me that there's a reason for it. 

• Fuck Yeah! 1
  • Preach it! 2

• 4 weeks later...

I had a player pursue my character for months. They started dating/were lovers, etc.

Then suddenly the other player wanted to change everything about my character.

"She says I love you too much, so it loses its meaning," was one thing they complained about.

"She talks too much. She should be more lady-like."

"Why was she working in the kitchen when she's a maid? I don't like the idea of my character eating food she slaved away in the kitchen on."

It was just a bunch of ridiculous things that added up over time.

TL;DR

Chasing my character then trying to dramatically change them/making crappy comments about things that never bothered them before.

• Cringe 3

image.png.c0ee5c69e645e4b9a58958d449be951d.png

• 1 month later...

Roleplayers who specifically withhold information IC that your character should know/realistically would find out about in order to avoid IC consequences for their character's actions. 

• Preach it! 1
  • Cringe 2

4rlXnvM.png

Maudlin
A Post-War Marauders AU, 1985

• 1 month later...
  • Admin

When you read an RP Partner search that isn't actually looking for a partner but someone to fulfill the roles they want.

A partnership is a two way thing. You can't say "I want an RP partner that will join the sites I'm on" because you must also be willing to join your new partners sites as well. Its fucking selfish as hell to expect a partner to be the giver and not receive the same amount of effort toward them.

The alternative is RP Partner searches that are the staff of the site just trying to get new members.

I'll admit I've been a culprit of both but that was also because I didn't understand the special commodity that is an RP Partner.

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

I have a few pet peeves...

- People who make 10+ characters and do a bunch of plotting but never actually sit down and write. Like there's a person on one site that has about ten characters and I've seen them post like...two thread posts over the course the three months I've been there, but they're always plotting in discord and coming up with headcanons. Ahhh I just want to write! And I'm here for plots and headcanons if they come with...threads.

- Folks that only want to do comm posts. Comms are fun but I want to write! Give me words!

- When I get a reply but there's like no substance. The main action is "they look down and close their eyes" or something like that. I'll come up with something to respond to, but I won't be happy about it.

spacer.png

SITE BUZZ | DISCORD
OPENING 24 OCTOBER