A roleplayers peeve moments

Amelia

One of my biggest pet peeves is when you talk with someone, start a roleplay together after going over how you each are as writing partners, and then they start holding things against you. My biggest grievance for that? Patience and Timing. If you get upset with me for how my posting varies after accepting it when I explained it initially (#spoonielife), that's just...irksome.

Another peeve? When someone refuses to drive their own plot forward. It can be for a site plot or a personal one. If it's your idea, I shouldn't have to be the one to move it forward while you take a passive, reactive seat in your own roleplay. Bonus points if they get mad at you for how you're driving it forward but refuse to do anything to change it.

• I read this! 4
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, AKNyx said:

When someone refuses to drive their own plot forward. It can be for a site plot or a personal one. If it's your idea, I shouldn't have to be the one to move it forward while you take a passive, reactive seat in your own roleplay.

This! This eventually drives anyone's muse right into the ground.

• I read this! 1

5a691fb4de413_advertisingbanner_rpginitiativeTS.png.699678f5663abf3c750d133673768a18.png

Plot | Rules | Canons | Wanted | Advertising

18 minutes ago, Dusty said:

This! This eventually drives anyone's muse right into the ground.

I have to say I'm super impressed that this isn't mentioned as much. I can't say that I am personally dealing with this, but I for sure did before. Like....everyone was always waiting on me or my other admin to move things along.

• I read this! 2

"Everyone has been doing so much soul searching during all of this,

and I'm just over here drawing pics of my character's dicks."

When you join a site and everything seems to be going okay and then suddenly the board is offline and you can no longer contact the admin.

• I read this! 2

Profile graphics by @Lirschen

Mine always always always will be members whose characters suddenly can read your characters mind. Just because I said my character thought this, does not mean your character can suddenly assume that. I'm at the point where pretty soon I'm just not going to say that my character thought something, and instead smack it out on them because they won't play along with it.

• I read this! 3
  • Agree 2
  • Love 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • Admin

How time fast forwards too fast. I've done timing on things especially conversations and drives and many times they are just sped through. A car drive takes anywhere between a few minutes to an hour on average. That is a whole lot of conversation without a lot of moving. 

Either talk all more or add in awkward silences. Don't pretend like everything is done in minutes like in the movies. 

• I read this! 2

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

This is kind of a weird one but when people want to RP out every little moment.

Look at how often we spend our lives in silence/by ourselves/not really doing anything. Writing that out would be boring as hell. I certainly don't want to spend pages doing nothing but describing how my character sits on the couch watching TV while yours is in the kitchen microwaving a Hot Pocket. There's nothing wrong with glazing over this stuff and focusing on the action.

• I read this! 6
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, Rune said:

Look at how often we spend our lives in silence/by ourselves/not really doing anything. Writing that out would be boring as hell. I certainly don't want to spend pages doing nothing but describing how my character sits on the couch watching TV while yours is in the kitchen microwaving a Hot Pocket. There's nothing wrong with glazing over this stuff and focusing on the action.

OMFSM, thank you! I end up feeling like the odd person out about this. Like, the Trek sims I've been in over the years, they want to write out *everything*. The calling the ship for docking permission, the walk from the shuttlebay to wherever the officer they need to report to is, the stupid little social stuff that isn't even doing anything to expose us to their character... just inane "how's the weather on risa?" "perfect like always" chatter. >.<

Like, I can feel people looking at me funny through the computer screen when I suggest we skip this stupid stuff. Occasional filler is handy, for building character, it's great when you interrupt it with some awesome action stuff... but just sitting at your post doing nothing, waiting for the Romulans to show up? Bah, boring AF.

• I read this! 3
  • Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

Emperor468x60.png.b7bb87f952ee0dcc7a97150c6258c8f9.png

Captain Amelia Waterhouse, Commanding Officer

=/\= Join =/\= Roster & Openings =/\= Rules =/\= Chat =/\=

"It is human nature to yearn to be what we were never intended for. It is singular, but it is so." -Mark Twain

Guest Archaic Cyborg

Person A: I'm looking for /insert very specific rp needs and Do Not Wants/

You: I found your ad just now, I'd love to joi-

Person A: So, what ideas do you have? I can do anything! Who do you think I should play? Where should we start? When will we get to the smut? Tell me all your ideas, and I'll agree! Can you start the scene?

On 2017-4-25 at 11:46 AM, Rune said:

Conservation of Detail is a thing, they say. There's a reason why we gloss over minor details that have no significance to the plot. Such as characters needing to relieve themselves (unless the whole point of the thread is to RP out a potty emergency scenario), or during a date at a restaurant, driving around for nearly twenty minutes to look for a parking lot cause the place is fully-booked that evening, and so on so forth.

• I read this! 2
  • Agree 1

I can get so peeved at players who think they deserve special treatment. There are activity rules for a reason, if you decide to not comply by them with one of your characters its going to get set to inactive. I just get peeve when they get all upset because their character that they haven't used for two months gets set to inactive while they actively rp with their other characters. 

• I read this! 2
  • Agree 1
  • Preach it! 1

Members who invent stories about what their characters do, in their heads. They don't actually write it out, and if they attempt the thread is short-lived and stalls after three posts.

And then they have the nerve to get pissy at you for not acknowledging their stories which never actually happened.

'OMG BUT MY CHARACTER WAS GOING AFTER THOSE ASSASSINS, WHY DID YOU STEAL THE IDEA?'

Dude, the only time you mentioned those assassins was four months ago, in a passing sentence in a single post.

'BUT I HAD BIG PLANS FOR THAT!'

Yeah sure you did. Meanwhile, while you had those 'big plans' for months and did nothing, other members did. Tough cookies.

Edited by Honorem
  • I read this! 1
  • Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/14/2015 at 4:52 PM, Zozma said:

Please don't come to me first without a plot. I have enough going on in my life without having people come to ME and ask me to do all the work for them. If you come to me first, at least have an idea in hand first. Don't expect me to come up with something tailormade for you just because you asked. I'm not a plot dispensing machine and quite honestly, I don't look all that favorably upon roleplayers who can't even come up with a couple plot ideas for their OWN characters. 

This. is. so. true. I can't tell you how many times people used to PM me on this one site saying hey let's rp and I'd ask them ok, what do you have in mind and literally I got "Lol idk, you pick! tag me and I'll reply" >.<

• I read this! 2
  • Agree 1

rpgi-sig.png

+ :: c o m i n g  s o o n  :: +

On 1/15/2015 at 10:23 AM, Red Star said:

@Amelia Right? ;_; I hate it. And makes me not really want to plot anymore. Like, wow ok, you're not as excited about this as I am maybe?? D;

Also when you write something into your post that you were considering as kind of significant/something your partner should definitely address in their reply, and then you sit there all "heehee, their reaction will be great 8D" 

And then they ignore that bit of your reply when they post again.

Pg4zJDk.jpg

This, this is something I HATE so much. I know the feels of this with all my heart.

My biggest is being promised a reply and then it doesn't happen. I get that people get busy or whatever, and a day or two is cool, or if they have a reason, but don't promise me something, get my hopes up and then go forever without posting Nothing worse than getting your hopes dashed. I consider myself a pretty patient rper, because life, but if you don't know if you're going to make a reply or not, I'd rather not be told.

Also, making a lovely starter you put your heart into, and not getting a reply to it from your partner for it.

• I read this! 5
  • Preach it! 1