A roleplayers peeve moments

Amelia

Guest Carnival

I absolutely -hate- feeling like I'm just there, but the other person shows no enthusiasm over our story.  Sure, I get that some people just aren't that talkative and neither am I a lot of the time, but some gushing over the emotional moment our characters just had would be nice every once in awhile! I love talking with other players and gushing, so when this doesn't happen, it's a major bummer for me.

I also can't stand being glazed over.  Again, I understand that muse is fickle...but when I've been waiting weeks for you to post only for you to go and insta-reply to someone else, it's a major turn off.  I like to feel like someone is interested in our story and that I'm not just wasting my time with a good character attached to another that could care less if I stay or go.

I know it has been mentioned before here, but the "I'm bored!" or "I'm waiting for replies." really make me fume! You are bored or waiting for replies? Create new threads!!!!

Another is the obvious, "Would you mind starting the thread?" that coming from the member that initiated the dialogue for a thread....which usually ends up with me wanting to pass my hand through the monitor and slap the other person... 

• I read this! 2

AdButton.jpgWWAdButton.gif

This might have been said already but, I have a pet peeve concerning when a character whom' doesn't know my character calls my character their correct pronouns upon first meeting. I don't care what sort of excuse you come up with, if my charrie looks male and wants to be called a female, your character has no way of knowing that UNTIL it's brought up in the thread. Destroying that by just using application information is not only power playing but it totally ruins a possible mini-aha! moment and makes further interactions boring.

Why?

Because now I know you like to avoid conflict instead of using things like political-correctness in ways that would have made a thread fun, ironically funny, etc etc

Stop bringing in real life fear into a thread. I'm not going to admonish you for your characters' not being able to recognize that my dude doesn't feel like a dude. Calm down, live on the edge a bit. Please. The amount of telepathic gender-aware characters are starting to just creep me out.

• I read this! 2
  • Agree 1
  • LOL 2

Guest Archaic Cyborg
On 8/12/2017 at 9:10 PM, Sil said:

I'm thinking I should try again to find a place where I can rp while my main site is a tad slow. 

I don't like people who mirror. I find it very difficult to build anything with those kind of people. Unfortunately a few members who joined recently seem to mirror. You could make the argument that good roleplayers work with anything, or talking things out with these people, but believe me I have tried to work with mirrorers before and every time I see my posts back to them shrink more and more because they don't appear to build anything off what I write and just respond.

In other words, it doesn't feel engaging. Yeah, I know people can write like three words (and I know I'm kind of just going on and on at this point) to make an engaging post, but if my partner doesn't build off of that and writes three words back? Then I just feel like I'm the only one writing the story. It's a reply, not something that moves things forward. Is what I'm saying.

Also, I want to get back into roleplaying, I do, but I am so behind with stuff I feel like I'm once again making promises I can't keep. I've had plenty of time to write this opening post, for example, but I'm just not feeling it. Every now and then I'll get a spark but at the end of the day, I either get side tracked bu video games or I end up staring at the blank Word page... It seems to be an awful pattern and I hope I break it soon.

They'd likely be reactive rpers; people who have their characters react, but with nothing that moves the scene forward.  'She smiled.' 'He looked away.' I can't write with these players.

And! I'm sharing the boat with you regarding rp motivation. It should be easy getting back in, but fuck me, distractions are everywhere and I'm too bloody tired to stay committed.

Oh, it steams me when people join an open thread and then lose interest, but instead of saying it they just kind of leave you hanging? I understand burnout, but you need to communicate with your partners and keep them in the know, because otherwise the waiting and the waiting is...frustrating.

• I read this! 2
  • Agree 2

haliea_sig.png.d576f8c161ea332444febd20bf4e72eb.png

Antarsia | Guidebook

When the Gods turn on their people, the tables turn.

Where will you stand?

Original High Medieval Fantasy || 3-3-3

5 hours ago, FriedKilamari said:

Oh, it steams me when people join an open thread and then lose interest, but instead of saying it they just kind of leave you hanging? I understand burnout, but you need to communicate with your partners and keep them in the know, because otherwise the waiting and the waiting is...frustrating.

Expanding on this; when someone loses interest in a thread or plot overall, not even just an open thread, but they say squat about it and keep writing like ain't nothing wrong. Hey, bub, both our time gets wasted this way and my little feelings won't be hurt if you tell me. I'll only sigh if you let me find out from some other way that you've actually lost interest but never said anything.

• Agree 2

img

tumblr_opnrb7WTiz1tdfsf6o5_r1_500.gif

39 minutes ago, Naome said:

Expanding on this; when someone loses interest in a thread or plot overall, not even just an open thread, but they say squat about it and keep writing like ain't nothing wrong. Hey, bub, both our time gets wasted this way and my little feelings won't be hurt if you tell me. I'll only sigh if you let me find out from some other way that you've actually lost interest but never said anything.

I think I am the opposite. I believe that once I promised you a thread/ plot, and I was interested in it, I have to finish it with you. This is a proof of human respect and writers' respect and that I cherish you as a writing partner. You are interested, your eyes are sparkling about it, and when I had agreed upon it, I saw it as a big development opportunity. So no matter if I lost my enthusiasm for a reason or another, the plot started has to be completed, especially that you really like it. 

Even in love, not only in a writing partnership, it is never 50% - 50%. One loves always more, and in another moment the other does. So if you love the plot/ thread more than I do, it is my duty of a writing partner to help you with writing it and having the maximum experience possible. At your turn, I hope you will do the same to the plot I love more than you do (but you have accepted).

22 minutes ago, Elena said:

I think I am the opposite. I believe that once I promised you a thread/ plot, and I was interested in it, I have to finish it with you. This is a proof of human respect and writers' respect and that I cherish you as a writing partner. You are interested, your eyes are sparkling about it, and when I had agreed upon it, I saw it as a big development opportunity. So no matter if I lost my enthusiasm for a reason or another, the plot started has to be completed, especially that you really like it. 

Even in love, not only in a writing partnership, it is never 50% - 50%. One loves always more, and in another moment the other does. So if you love the plot/ thread more than I do, it is my duty of a writing partner to help you with writing it and having the maximum experience possible. At your turn, I hope you will do the same to the plot I love more than you do (but you have accepted).

It's fine if you choose to stick it out while still holding up your end quality wise too... but have you ever written with someone who clearly does not care anymore, and can't even make an effort to pretend if they insist on sticking it out? There is almost nothing that saps the fun out of writing with someone more than knowing the other person just does not care anymore.

So either make the effort to fake it well enough that I'm not having the fun sapped out, or show me the respect of just asking me if we can just wrap it up. Don't ghost me, and don't phone it in, pretty please.

(I legit don't think you'd half-ass it Elena, but so many people do in that situation)

• I read this! 1
  • Agree 1

Emperor468x60.png.b7bb87f952ee0dcc7a97150c6258c8f9.png

Captain Amelia Waterhouse, Commanding Officer

=/\= Join =/\= Roster & Openings =/\= Rules =/\= Chat =/\=

"It is human nature to yearn to be what we were never intended for. It is singular, but it is so." -Mark Twain

Yes, I never half-ass it because I have lost interest (and I rarely lose interest. But if someone is interested in a plot I am only so-and-so about, I accept it immediately because the others are interested and because I see its value in furthering the story). I might half-ass one post (or at least make it shorter, but move the thread, and it could be even a thread I am hyped about) when I am not feeling well but I feel that if I don't write now, I might get into a spiral of not willing to write anymore, so I power through. But I think this kind is different, and we have all been through it at a moment or another.

But yes, what you are telling about, had happened to me too, and I felt cheated of a good story I was looking forward to. 😭 In that case, instead of wrapping it up artificially, I'd prefer to brainstorm together a way the story can get written with minimum input from the one who lost interest. In many cases the solution was either to write it in the character's journal, from his only perspective, or to receive permission to write both sides in that story (and the writing partner, had, of course, the right to comment, add, etc.)

• I read this! 1

Huh... I would argue that if you no longer love someone who still loves you, regardless of the effort you put in to fake it, it's not fair to either of you for you stay with them re: continuing thread analogy. 

I'll definitely have to second that rant about the "reactive" rpers... It's always super irritating when your partner gives you nothing to go on. If I wanted to do all the work myself, I'd be writing a story, not roleplaying -.-; If you're too tired or lazy or what have you to come up with a decent response, you could just say so and/or wait unit you feel better to reply... That said, sometimes longer posts can also give nothing to go on. Sometimes I accidentally make those kinds of posts. I'd rather my rp partner just tell me so, so I can go back and fix it instead of not responding or giving me a similarly unhelpful reply.

• Agree 1

People that post an open thread with their character in an unapproachable position. Oh, you sat down at a restaurant? How am I supposed to approach without being rude as hell? Your limiting yourself there.

Bonus: these same people always complain about not getting replies.

• I read this! 2
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, Rune said:

People that post an open thread with their character in an unapproachable position. Oh, you sat down at a restaurant? How am I supposed to approach without being rude as hell? Your limiting yourself there.

I think you can add characters that are overly familiar to your character and they've never met before, and are flirty. If people are like that in RL, you think they're a creep (if a guy, or a slut if they're a girl.) I've never seen it happen on forums, but in chat type rp it seems to happen all the time.

• I read this! 3

My pet peeve: when someone says they only play [insert actor; bonus points if overly popular]. It makes me think they RP just to be/meet their favourite people of the showbiz, not because they want to write new, imaginary characters.

And I KNOW I'm wrong and that there are excellent writers out there who just need that, because their inspiration works that way. I don't blame them. It just peeves me at an irrational level.

• I read this! 1
  • Agree 2
  • Love 1

UNMASQUED

Vampires are real. Now the world knows about them.

On 8/29/2017 at 5:07 PM, Rune said:

I do that sometimes but it's usually in a bar type setting where approaching strangers is the norm. Although I do have some people that'll do that anyway because they don't give two shits (Shamus. It's always Shamus).

• I read this! 1

On 8/26/2017 at 10:51 PM, Hysteria said:

This might have been said already but, I have a pet peeve concerning when a character whom' doesn't know my character calls my character their correct pronouns upon first meeting. I don't care what sort of excuse you come up with, if my charrie looks male and wants to be called a female, your character has no way of knowing that UNTIL it's brought up in the thread. Destroying that by just using application information is not only power playing but it totally ruins a possible mini-aha! moment and makes further interactions boring.

Why?

Because now I know you like to avoid conflict instead of using things like political-correctness in ways that would have made a thread fun, ironically funny, etc etc

Stop bringing in real life fear into a thread. I'm not going to admonish you for your characters' not being able to recognize that my dude doesn't feel like a dude. Calm down, live on the edge a bit. Please. The amount of telepathic gender-aware characters are starting to just creep me out.

That's practically one of the oldest ones in the book. When people get a bit too into playing their characters that it becomes an extension of their self. And can't stand the notion of their character being disliked (IC) by another, or making enemies, etc. That's usually where they generally end up playing their character in a way that they always somehow know the right things to say, at exactly the right time, in an attempt for their character to get into everyone's good books.

And to add another of mine to the list, which is related... RPers who want to play the heel, but can't take the heat. They want to play the big evil villain and all, yet can't seem to stand the idea of their character getting hunted down or making powerful enemies and such, and will often go through great lengths to avoid situations whereby their characters aren't in complete control.

Edited by Lawman
  • I read this! 2