Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A roleplayers peeve moments

When you're the only one driving a thread. When your writing partner may as well be blinking at you owlishly because they don't quite get the memo that roleplaying is a two way street and the story you're writing requires both people to be engaging and capable of taking control of the way the thread is heading. Roleplaying is not a 'you drive, and I'll just watch the scenery go by' activity. 🙃

• Agree 1

"widows, ghosts, lovers sit and sing in the dark, arched marrow of me."
cR7Oz5D.gif

• Replies 819
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When you think of a GREAT post in your head... When you can't write it down in any way. And it's long forgotten by the time you actually get to sit down and write.

Gifs for avatars or signatures.

Oh, boy, so many:   - We don't have a word count, but... - Nope. You either do or you don't. If you do, it's fine, and I may even join your site if I like it enough. Just be honest about it.

I really don't appreciate florally language in an app. Half of it reads like poetry waffle and doesn't tell me anything about the character. If I squint it might say something about the family or background, but most of the time these lengthy florally ones don't and I end up having to DM them asking them to clear up almost everything. So where is X from? What was their family situation like growing up? Do they have siblings? What does "floral phrase" actually mean? Where were they raised? It's hinted foster care but the language choice makes it super hard to know. Basically....cut out the super floral and just explain things in ways readers can actually follow without a translater, thanks. 

"They are the best at what they do"....this phrase just bugs the ever loving crap out of me. I blame Logan/Wolverine players due to it being a quote of their comic canon. But really, it's a quote and not an actual fact. There are many badass assassin characters in the existence of the comic and other media worlds. If I have to see this as a factual statement in an app i'll scream. "Best there is at doing XYZ" is subjective, not factual. Otherwise you're telling the entire forum you character is better than anyone else at doing something and nobody can argue it. Any phrase that states someone is best at, unbeatable, or otherwise top dog without question is a phrase to burn for me. Nope nope nope. That is why there are so many debates about comic heroes VS others to see who might win and everyone has a different opinion on every forum I read it on. 

• Agree 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Plots capitalizing on real tragic events. I would never have a holocaust rp, for example. And adding a pandemic to a rl rp right now just reeks of yuck. 

Reality is an illusion. 

Referring to trans characters as "male" or "female." Like a trans man character referred to as "female" skeeves me tf out.

• Cringe 4

City of Outcasts

Urban High Fantasy inspired by D&D

• 1 month later...

OOC worship of villains. Not because they are well-written, but because something about lacking empathy for others is seen as "desirable" or "badass". 

• Agree 2

4rlXnvM.png

Maudlin
A Post-War Marauders AU, 1985
  • 1 month later...

For me its definitely more than one thing. xD 

1. When people ignore me for no reason. Like, come on. We're all adults. If you're having an issue with me or my writing/my characters, just let me know. It won't be the end of the world, I promise. 

2. When someone comes at me trying to ship with my characters, even when I've explicitly told them about how my boys are fickle and only do organic ships. 

3. When people get super into a ship with me, only to let the bottom fall out later without an explanation. At least let me know what I did wrong so I can fix my behavior, damn. 

4. Being lied to or played with/manipulated. We're grown now, we don't need that petty bs around anymore. 

5. When people talk about me behind my back. Like, come on. I'm not stupid. I've been rping for 13 years now I know when people start acting funny around me that there's a reason for it. 

• Fuck Yeah! 1
  • Preach it! 2
  • 4 weeks later...

I had a player pursue my character for months. They started dating/were lovers, etc.

Then suddenly the other player wanted to change everything about my character.

"She says I love you too much, so it loses its meaning," was one thing they complained about.

"She talks too much. She should be more lady-like."

"Why was she working in the kitchen when she's a maid? I don't like the idea of my character eating food she slaved away in the kitchen on."

It was just a bunch of ridiculous things that added up over time.

TL;DR

Chasing my character then trying to dramatically change them/making crappy comments about things that never bothered them before.

• Cringe 2

image.png.c0ee5c69e645e4b9a58958d449be951d.png

• 1 month later...

Roleplayers who specifically withhold information IC that your character should know/realistically would find out about in order to avoid IC consequences for their character's actions. 

• Preach it! 1
  • Cringe 1

4rlXnvM.png

Maudlin
A Post-War Marauders AU, 1985
  • 1 month later...
  • Admin

When you read an RP Partner search that isn't actually looking for a partner but someone to fulfill the roles they want.

A partnership is a two way thing. You can't say "I want an RP partner that will join the sites I'm on" because you must also be willing to join your new partners sites as well. Its fucking selfish as hell to expect a partner to be the giver and not receive the same amount of effort toward them.

The alternative is RP Partner searches that are the staff of the site just trying to get new members.

I'll admit I've been a culprit of both but that was also because I didn't understand the special commodity that is an RP Partner.

adtest3.png

engineeringad.jpg

0_mainsignature.jpg

tapestries_fixed.gif

Profile set made by @jordan of Dark Motives