Depiction to Match the Setting

Katja

This could probably go for graphics or coding but I'm thinking more visual effect/ final output rather than the nitty-gritty details, SO! ~ 

Okay so... When you are building a site, or looking to join a site, how important is it for you that the graphical depiction of your site is on par with your site's setting?

As an admin: 

• Do you gravitate towards a skin theme that fits the setting (eg dark skin for a dark-fantasy site)? 
  • Do you make banners and buttons to reflect a certain feel for your site? 
  • Do you expect character avatars to look or 'feel' a certain way? (eg no modern glamour shots for someone supposed to be depicting someone from say 1760s London) 

As a member: 

• How important to you is it that the site's look & feel matches the setting? 
  • Do you try to choose icons for your characters based on how you see them in the setting-- or do you just go for pretty pictures? 

Please discuss :D 

• I read this! 2

ghost_microkit_by_hyraea-d4c4grg.gif2nm3jao.jpg8120380.png?mtime=Vv_oIAAAYRw
:ghost:  2hmo3vd.png :ghost:
credits: [kitten][humerus][dragon]

I personally look for a skin that is appeasing to the eyes - Whether it matches the site theme or not doesn't matter, it just needs to be sexy.

For me the skin has to be legible and with big enough font and good contrast. I am not art-literate enough to know the difference and what means "matching the setting", because what I thought it matches, to others it didn't give the same feeling. And I am not the one to be able to code or do graphics, anyway.

Do you make banners and buttons to reflect a certain feel for your site?

I WANT banners and buttons to reflect a certain feel. I can't say I MAKE them because I don't do much as concerns graphics. (I don't photoshop, I only crop, resize and write on existing pictures).

Do you expect character avatars to look or 'feel' a certain way? (eg no modern glamour shots for someone supposed to be depicting someone from say 1760s London)

Yes, exactly. If it looks too modern I can't look at it, it takes me out of the athmosphere.

How important to you is it that the site's look & feel matches the setting?

It is important, because I am looking for an 18-th century experience.

Do you try to choose icons for your characters based on how you see them in the setting-- or do you just go for pretty pictures?

I try to choose them how I see them in the setting, if possible. If not, only heads and I pretend not seeing a little trace of the T-shirt collar. (of course, not all the Tshirt, it's cropped at neck level!)

• I read this! 1

As an admin, I like to go for something that both looks good and fits the theme, including banners and buttons. I want visitors to know as soon as they open my site that it’s an X-Men site. To that end, characters can look just about any way. Fashion-wise, there is not so big a difference. Most of them aren’t even human! Some are. I won’t have species discrimination on my site! …out of character, anyway, in-character I’m pretty much ensuring it.

I think if I were running a different sort of site, I would have a different answer on the icon question.

As a member, I’m more concerned that the site is easy to read/nice to look at. I’m not too picky about that, as long as it’s not neon or a bunch of low-contrast colors I don’t mind. Icons are usually about how I see my character. If she’s a sweet girl-next-door type, I wouldn’t use a glam picture. So it’s more about character than setting. (But pretty pictures are a bonus, I’ll be honest about that!)

• I read this! 3
[[there is no signature here]]

Depends I think. As far as theming/skinning goes, I typically find a good colour palette, and make sure it's easy on the eyes and readable. Outside of that, I might make nitty-gritty skins for nitty-gritty sites, and lighter, smoother ones for less gritty sites. Ergo, dark metal and grunge-y textures for a post-apocalyptic, deep blues and greens paired with circuit board embellishments for a dark sci-fi game, but an off-white, solid layout (little to no actual texturing) for something more light-hearted.

The banners I'm weird about. Often, it doesn't necessarily match the site setting, but it will match the theme/skin, and have something relating to the genre in it. A Lugia for a Pokemon board, a central location to the site, a main character, etc.

As a member, I'm usually not nearly so picky. Long as I can read it, and I'm not staring at a dozen pretty graphics of a celebrity no one even uses on the site, I'm good. I mean, unless of course the site lends to that. Real life/band/tour/school type stuff, that might work for those, but sometimes it's like, Ohai welcome to our site of really disastrous grunge-y zombie apocalyptica. Stare at Jeffree Star and some obscure Russian model you've never even heard of in the banner and sidebar images all day, because reasons.

:| Wai.

• I read this! 2

nusignature.png nusignature.png

I am the darkness, always watching, always listening, ALWAYS THERE.
(If you're interested in Plain of Ice, message me, it's private. Bleach site, non-canon.)

Yeeeah, @Celebi. My current banner is complete crap (I say this without sarcasm) but since we're doing a revamp/rolling out an expansion next month, it should look hella better. (And not just be random Asians with masks. lol) But I agree. It's kinda weird when the images don't match the site itself. My only defense is it had the colors I wanted but that's not much of a defense. Haha! Since I'm not very good at graphics, I sorta have to rely on finding matching colors that fit the theme loosely over something that completely obliterates the theme colors and sticks out like a sore thumb. But I've commissioned a prettiful theme this time so yay. Somebody who knows what they're doing!

Anyway, I do prefer a site that fits the theme, if even just loosely but what's more important is legibility. If I can read it, I don't really care if One Direction is all over the banner on a medieval site. I'm more about the writing quality than the graphics quality. 

For face claims, I believe that whatever the player sees for their character is who they should use, within the site's rules. If they see a cartoon for a site that's RL only, then yeah, they need to choose somebody else or find a site that better suits them. I do try to use setting appropriate images wherever possible, though. 

• I read this! 3

Reality is an illusion. 

Do you gravitate towards a skin theme that fits the setting (eg dark skin for a dark-fantasy site)?

No, I pretty much pick colors I like. I like blue, so in the past my sites have generally been shades of blue. Currently, the Stargate website is dark because that is what it was when I took over the roleplay/site.

Yes, but I'm looking for a good picture more than a color theme.

Do you expect character avatars to look or 'feel' a certain way? (eg no modern glamour shots for someone supposed to be depicting someone from say 1760s London)

This issue has not come up for me. I generally don't care what the characters are wearing. However, I would say something if someone, for instance, used a playby with dyed purple hair for a military character.

I just don't want it to be a struggle to read.

Do you try to choose icons for your characters based on how you see them in the setting-- or do you just go for pretty pictures?

Pretty! Lol. I want my characters to look like they fit into the setting. For instance with Stargate... Earth characters are in uniform or at least in modern clothing. Alien characters are in period clothing, which might sound strange, but it is appropriate for the characters. Depending on the situation though, I might not be able to get appropriate clothing. In that case, I just try to make it so it's not obvious. Sometimes I have a little story about why they are wearing what they are wearing.

• I read this! 2

dcsEFuW.jpg

The SGC is part of the group, Federation Sim Fleet.

Guest Archaic Cyborg

Do you gravitate towards a skin theme that fits the setting (eg dark skin for a dark-fantasy site)?

I try not to follow any strict patterns, e.g black/white for a Batman game. I want to try new colour schemes for each new skin or game, and it has to fit the setting. I wouldn't choose pastel colours for a dystopian game.

Always. Otherwise, I'll lose interest in the game.

This is especially important to me. If I'm managing a Middle Ages/High Fantasy game, I ask players to use PBs in period costumes; and at the very least, to avoid using pics where the PB is wearing headphones, has full-on makeup, glitter, pink hair, tank tops, etc. It very much spoils the atmosphere/setting for me if the characters look like they're from modern day suburbia! I wouldn't be able to watch LotR if the cast wore modern clothes. :T The fashion is a big draw for me, in period settings.

In any setting, though, I never want to see plastic faces, emo-pouting models, come-hither faces, etc. I find it.. amusing, and grating. If it's a modern game, I don't really care what the PBs are wearing: save for tasteless 'edgy' poses with spread legs and whatnot, but that might just be me.

As a member:

If the community and staff are great, I'm willing to be less.. picky when it comes to small details, but I still need a nice colour scheme and very little images.

I choose the PB that matches my mental image or general 'look' of my character. I don't pick PBs based on how sexy they are.

Guest Avalynn

Yes, yes and yes. 

It is very important to me that my site's skin and graphics reflects the setting and plot. 

As a member I do also like a site to do the same and match it.  I am a little moveable on this point as a member though.

Lastly, yes.  I always try to choose icons that match and reflect the setting of a site.  It's more immersive and makes for a more believeable character. 

Not necessarily. Like, all werewolf/vampire boards are red on black, or gray on black, or blue on black. Dark dark dark dark and it's kinda tiring. I'd love to join a vampire board that has brighter colors, IDK. xD On the other hand, if it's a Fandom board, I always want the skin to reflect that. Either show characters from the fandom within the board, or at least items from the fandom, you know. I want it to fit. But as far as just the colors, nah. Colors could be bright or dark, for any settting.

Always. x) I play a lot of fandoms though, so again.. I want fandom images. I really, really hate when it's a board for a specific fandom (say, Marvel!), and the banner image is just some random model posing prettily... And you'd never know from looking at just the skin that this is a board about superheroes fighting bad guys. 8| I mean come on. THe graphics need to reflect what the site is a LITTLE BIT.

Do you expect character avatars to look or 'feel' a certain way?

I don't make people look for avatars that fit the setting. Mostly because...sometimes that's impossible. 8| I've always been very relaxed on avatars though--GNE doesn't require them, and if I ever admin a board in the future that's of a less silly genre, I don't think I'll require avatars there, either.

Like mentioned above, if it's a Marvel site and there are noooo superheroes in the look and feel, it'll turn me off. Likewise if it's a medieval fantasy site and there are images of ipods and stuff, that's gonna make me nope away. x3

I try to get images that fit the character for the setting. If I'm on a medieval board, I'll find someone from Game of Thrones or some other period piece so that they kinda fit, at least in a general sense. I want images that fit what I imagine them looking like in their threads, basically.

• I read this! 1

Sites I Call Home:
1k76GZV.gif ZJInThk.gifFhVILvF.png

• 2 weeks later...

I always make my own skins, so yes, definitely!

I tend to make ad banners/aff buttons reflect the default skin in some way, though sometimes I deviate and go for a different theme altogether. I never use photos of people though, I prefer just texture/nature/cool fonts or stuff like say, public domain medieval drawings to reflect a medieval board, for example.

Do you expect character avatars to look or 'feel' a certain way?
Sometimes I make mine all match, but I don't really care what other people use in terms of look/feel. People should use whatever image they like as long as it doesn't break any rules or whatnot.

I value readability/good layout/easy on the eyes at over whether it matches, tbh. It's great if it does though, sometimes the skin itself inspires me if it fits the setting just so.

I've made stuff that matches the skin before, it can be fun to do sometimes, but it's not a priority.

• I read this! 1
user posted image

I can't say that I do, though I just want to make sure the skin is in colors that make you feel like it can pull you in. 

I will make banners yes, but buttons annoy me. They can ruin a skin easy. I like simple little arrows or even a little cross or something--simple. Because as a visual person myself if you have this beautiful skin and this tacky dragon button or ship, it distracts me.

Avatars in my opinion are how some of the players express themselves. I would not look at someone putting a picture up on their Facebook and question why. I do just ask that they try to match the setting, but I'm pretty relaxed on this. I don't care if they put a cat ass up because I'm not there to look at their avatars, I'm there to read and post. 

"Everyone has been doing so much soul searching during all of this,

and I'm just over here drawing pics of my character's dicks."