• Announcements

• Morrigan

Please don't PM me questions   05/18/2017

This is a very important thing that I need to express to the members of the Initiative a little more clearly so you understand why I'm posting this message as I get a lot of PMs and random support requests regarding things on this site and it is extremely overwhelming to get these PMs.   There is a lot of stuff on the site that I manage solo. From the spotlight challenges, to the challenges (when I'm able to get to them), to archiving items, to approving items etc. We have a lot of cool features and trust me when I say I'm not saying we need to reduce because I feel everything that we have has it's place and purpose however I do, do  it all alone. (Shamelessly plugs staff wanted stuff 😉 )   So with that explained I have to explain why I'm asking that members stop PMing me questions. First off, we provide many different places that probably already answer your questions including our FAQ and our Ask Us fourm. We also provide forum avenues for you to contact the staff (in general instead of a single staff member) via our forums through the "Staff Contact Center" where you can either contact the staff publicly or privately. While it is your preference which one you put out there these avenues are more quick for you to get a response.   When you PM me (first off you'll get an auto reply with this information reiterated in it) but it's very likely I will dismiss it and get to it later. PMs are not my priority as they are used for private messages between myself and a member and not something site related which will be explained below as to how my priorities work for managing as I go:   Priorities listed in order from top to bottom regarding sites: Site/Server Down Site/server slowness Hosting issues (any of the initiative hostees having a problem) Payment issues Reported content Staff Contact Center Contact (and of the forums there) Chat Approvals Site checks (looking through forums) Roll outs of any kid that I have created (challenges, content etc) PMs Distant Fantasies   This isn't to say that your PM won't get answered however all of those other things take precedence over a PM and as you can see I'll answer you in the Staff Contact Center before I even check my PMs to see what you need.
Red Star

Pet Peeves of Life

This topic was closed too from being too old, so I'm reopening it! ...I hope taht's okay.

So I ask you, the people of DF: What really grinds your gears? What are your pet peeves of life. What do people do IRL that just irritates the bejesus out of you?

For me, it's being unable to get in touch with anyone. No one is answering my texts or emails. I might as well be in a deadzone. I'm asking important questions and no one is looking at their phone! AUUUUGH

• Like 3

Oh, and, 

coffee cups that drip when the lid is on?? like from starbucks or wherever

people who forget how to use blinkers

people who keep their blinkers on for like six blocks. what are you, 90?????????????????????????? how do you not hear the blinky noooise

People who stop at intersections that do not require or even recommend any kind of stop

nitpickers

• Like 3

My mom's dead set habit of never - I mean never - picking up her phone. She sees you're calling, doesn't answer, and just calls you back whenever she feels like it. She doesn't drive, so she can't say she was on the wheel. And if asked, she'll say "well, I did call you back". Yeah, mom, but if I'm dying you're coming to my funeral!

• Like 2

Awards

Oh the blinker thing kills me. Every time someone doesn't use it, I can't help but go... "Oh you were turning.. if only there was a way for me to know that".

• Like 3

Awards

I cannot stand it when I am sitting at a restaurant eating and someone is sweeping.........people..........seriously.......my food is right here and I don't wanna eat your floor's dust!  BLECH!

• Like 3

Awards

Ohh... Where do I begin..?

Driving in general is annoying. I hate it. I suck at it. I fucking hate other people, and they should get out of my way so I can get to where I need to go without any trouble.

Making phone calls.

People who call and don't leave a message.

Couples who can't keep their hands off each other in public.

To name a few.

• Like 2

Awards

Speeders. Go the limit please. The fact you want to be there a few minutes sooner doesn't warrant the 20 Km over the limit speed you're doing to get there. (Fun tidbit... someone I know is a paramedic/ambulance driver. So they can legally exceed the speed limit by 10Km with the lights flashing. But even in doing so on a 100Km ambulance trip this only saves them roughly 5 minutes. That's including the fact with lights flashing and siren on that everyone gets the hell out of their way.) This especially bothers me in winter because if the conditions are icy, going too fast can easily result in loss of control and a collision. And I don't want to be be in a collision because someone got impatient. 

Slowpokes. On the opposite end of the spectrum, if you're not driving a loaded truck up a hill there's kinda not much point in you doing 10-15Km under the limit. Especially in one lane sections. Please speed up and keep the flow of traffic.

People who pass at last second. Please don't do this. Don't wait until the lanes are merging before trying to pass. You will eventually cause an accident doing this. (Since there may be a time when there just isn't room for you to merge back in.)

People who don't answer their phones (without a reason). I understand if you're driving, in the theatre or seeing a doctor... But if you're sitting at home... Answer the phone please, it could be important. 

People who answer their phones in a theatre. Put your phone on silent (if you must leave it on, otherwise turn it off) please and don't be constantly checking it. The light from the screen is easily visible in a dark theatre and it's distracting to everyone. Plus if they don't turn sound off then hearing the noise of their keyboards clicking on each letter input is quite irritating.

On the complete opposite end of my first phone gripe... People who can't put their phones (and by extension facebook/twitter or whatever site) down. It's obnoxious to try dealing with someone who's buried in their phone. Trying to hold a conversation is hard because they aren't really listening that much (they're often more concerned with what's going on on their phone) and it's all too easy to feel ignored. Plus, in a professional capacity, the person always on their phone is normally the one who screws things up for everyone else and gets a no cell phone usage policy initiated. (Unless they're the boss and part of their job involved calling clients and such. In which case, that's different.)

When watching a TV show (or movie) people who feel the need to provide commentary or question everything that happens. I want to watch this show, during the show I want to focus on it. If you want to talk about it, that's fine and I'd like to do that too... After the show is over. Especially since half the time when these people have questions their questions would be answered had they just kept quiet and watched. 

• Like 2

Picking up a little on the work comments made up there:

When people think I'm not qualified to do my job because I am a woman. Yes, I know the IT area is dominated by men. But I also know I have been working in this area for over ten years. I also know that I have started out in entry level and now I have a manager position, so I must know what I'm doing.

So, when a client actually has the guts to say they would prefer to talk to a man because it would be easier to work with them... I want to tell them politely where they can insert their computer problems - or the computer itself.

• Like 2

Awards

@Shadow Lady OMG! Yes! I love when people tell me "I've been doing this for 20 years" and my only internal response is, "then why exactly am I telling you how to do your job?"

True-facts I corrected an ongoing issue for 2-3 months for a customer that ended up being on the other end (IE not my problem) because I out maneuvered the IT person with my skillz. Did it in less than 1 week.

Back on topic - Customer's that refuse to let you fix a problem because they are "too busy". Please call in when you are unbusy jerk.

Edited by Morrigan
  • Like 4

You can actually prevent this by twisting the lid so that the hole on top is not aligned with the seam of the cup.  Some baristas line up lids this way when they are being little grumps. :P

Idkkk it doesn't usually drip when I'm drinking, but like when I'm walking home with the cup in hand; it just gets all over my hand. ;^; 

• Like 1