Character Creation Tendencies

AKNyx

Alright, I know I start a lot of these "curiosity killed the cat, but satisfaction brought it back" threads, but I'm really curious!

Do you all have tendencies when creating a character? Any personality traits you tend to gravitate toward when creating someone, or even physical traits? Are there any patterns you can see looking over your collection of characters?

Lay 'em on me!

• I read this! 1

• Admin

Mostly female, strong personality but vulnerable insides and smile a lot.

Alternatively there are the crazies which are equally as apt to smile but it's more sinister, still mostly female.

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

Mostly underdogs and half something (ethnically, racially... or even having been born and raised in one religion and changing it later). Also people who are playing an instrument .

• I read this! 1

Guest Archaic Cyborg

Most of my characters fit into the good old 'Thief' rpg class, vagrant, underdog, sidekick/punching bag, and/or addict of some kind. Their personalities, motivations/goals, fears and the like are all different, though. I don't like using the same base personality for 'all' my characters, because.. in the end, it's really just the same character but with more emphasis on one or two 'different' traits, when compared to the previous  character.

• 2 weeks later...

Outsider and weirdos.

I'll often end up with the youngest and oldest characters on a site (as on one site, where I play a 15-year-old and a 52-year-old). But they'll usually have something if not age to set them apart: psychological issues, being from a different culture, just plain not seeing themselves as part of society.

I also have a hard time writing bad guys; my characters tend to be bleeding hearts. That's why I'm currently having fun with my arrogant jerk. He really genuinely cares about other people and it's not that he thinks he's better than they are... it's just that he always knows best and anyone who doesn't recognize that is being stubborn.

• I read this! 1
[[there is no signature here]]

Social characters, just because in a game I find it impossible to play a real, actual loner - they just wouldn't go in for socialization that isn't forced and I get tired of forcing it. Mine also tend to be politically minded but then I come from a family where arguing politics is considered a valid way to spend an evening.

... and there may or may not be a few pb's that are on a revolving door with me because I like their face/have the icons and don't want to bother with new ones. >.>

• I read this! 1

user posted image

• 2 months later...

Eccentrics, villains, grumps and witty females seem to be a trend when it comes to the characters I enjoy playing most. I love both ends of the spectrum, apart from the character that's completely good-natured, social and kind, etc. I really don't like to play those for some reason.

• I read this! 3

rsz_nightborn_signature.png.49b292d20e17d3c29707bfecdb8bb800.png

Dudes, lots of dudes. I have 24 characters on my site and only one of them is a girl. Whoops.

EDIT: I also tend to play a lot of leaders, strategists, and magic users.

• I read this! 4

Reality is an illusion. 

43 minutes ago, Zozma said:

Dudes, lots of dudes. I have 24 characters on my site and only one of them is a girl. Whoops.

EDIT: I also tend to play a lot of leaders, strategists, and magic users.

I also have a lot of magic users. It's probably the combat style that most of my characters end up having. Oopsie. It's such a broad and fun area, though.

Edited by Raksha
  • I read this! 3

rsz_nightborn_signature.png.49b292d20e17d3c29707bfecdb8bb800.png

"Strong Character Fiber" is a big one for me. I find when I try to play "softer" stereotypes they end up being too....2D and boring for me. It's not as easy for me to add Depth to them.

My other big one, is I tend to like characters of Neutral alignment. Not necessarily a true neutral (though I do have one), but settled nicely into the general field. Keep my options open.

• I read this! 2

OnyxSiggy1.jpg.c76f2c1acc64a865bdf5164f4c085020.jpg

Always seems to be action oriented characters for me, but maybe because that's more up my alley. I prefer a good adventure than sitting around talking, heh.

And related to that, I try to make average characters who can fit into adventures, so they share the common trait of being commoners. I find higher ranks like lords or generals or whatever to be more restricting.

• I read this! 3

• 2 weeks later...

I like to take characters I already know and put a bit of a twist on them.  I once played a version of Edmund (from the Chronicles of Narnia), wherein  during his time in Narnia he was not only a diplomat, but also took on some of the more... questionable tasks of politics, lets say.  

I play male characters far better than I play female characters; though Im not sure why! I've tried to play females in the past and always found I get bored... 

• I read this! 3

• 2 weeks later...

My male characters are huge with beards.

My female characters are tiny and generally very go-get-um.

Werewolves... My site is legitimately shocked when I make a character that isn't a werewolf anymore... I just love my puppies.

• I read this! 2