Gifs

Morrigan

Gifs, love them/hate them?  

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Admin

So I was thinking about gifs and how they are used and I was wondering what everyone's opinion on them are?

For the most part, I personally don't mind gifs. I prefer that they be in places that I'm not staring at them at all times but I can live with them being in places that I can turn off. (for example I can turn off individual signatures here on DF so if the gif is too flashy I don't have to stare at it). Of course there are drawbacks to that, what if it changes? I will not be able to see such a change. Overall, I don't mind gifs but I don't like seeing them everywhere all the time for all of the things.

What is your opinion?

Do you have methods that you use to ignore images that you don't like?

Will you join a site that has them?

Will you join a site that prohibits them?

Will you show me your favorite gif?

My fave Gif is:

2lvmni9.jpg

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

Guest Archaic Cyborg
What is your opinion?
I don't mind gifs, I use them often in private gif wars and the like~. I just don't like seeing them on a site's index page (apart from tiny affiliate banners), or in main avatars and signatures.

I usually adblock it.

Nope. That is, if gifs are used in headings/banners, board descriptions, etc.

If they prohibit gifs everywhere, including secondary avatar pics (in hover-overs) and private gif wars, I wouldn't join.

afdafsd too many! I'm going to post two.

ZcyIXfu.gif

uNbwV8x.gif

I love gifs! I voted for the "don't mind them" one though because not being able to use gifs isn't a dealbreaker for me when joining sites. 

• I read this! 3

Reality is an illusion. 

I like gifs, they're fun, but they aren't a deal breaker for me. :)

Do you have methods that you use to ignore images that you don't like? I use image blocker at work sometimes.

Will you join a site that has them? Yep!

Will you join a site that prohibits them? Yep, though that seems odd to me.

giphy.gif

Edited by Red Star
  • I read this! 1

Sites I Call Home:
1k76GZV.gif ZJInThk.gifFhVILvF.png

What is your opinion?

Gifs are... ok. When they aren't used excessively or to reply to something I say that really didn't warrant a sarcastic gif or 'for the lols'. Just generally speaking.

Eh, not really. 

As in mandatory images? Probably not. Again, I really can't stand excessive gifs. Gif wars and other such things on the other hand, sure why not/

Really, it's no skin off my nose if gifs are prohibited on a site. I can see where some people are coming from, because of use of obnoxious gifs in signatures and such. On the other hand, I dislike sites that dictate every tiny thing. Guidelines are everywhere, sure, but would rather not feel restricted.

I honestly don't go gif hunting that much. This one comes pretty damn close, though.

captain-falcon-at-doctor_o_797700.gif

• I read this! 2

I don't really use them, though I have noticed - people on one of my forums do it more for humour, in fact I have noticed when something which is being discussed is too serious. This is when the Gifs come out! Personally I don't use them, so it doesn't bother me if they're sarcastic, done for humour or just weirdness - provided they don't offend!

• I read this! 1

• Admin

@Sil I can't handle that gif, it's so hypnotic.

• I read this! 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

• 1 month later...

I picked the third option, though that's not quite my opinion. That is they don't have to be mouseover. I just hate them when they're used as avatars and/or signatures because in them they get very easily irritating and distracting, especially if and when eventually there will be many users throwing them in their avas and sigs. Argh!! -.-
So I prohibit them as avatars and signature images on my site, while allow them in character profiles and plotter topics ect. Although even in them I ask people to not over-do it and not use too flashy ones. A couple of moderate gifs is fine and can be lovely.

Too much is too much in anything and can take away the impressiveness and appeal. I personally like to include one or two GIFs into a character profile or a plotter or a tracker, if I find or manage to create some cute or interesting ones, but most often I can do without any.
Or, if I have so many nice GIFs that I can't choose only one or two I make them into a chain of GIFs, kind of into a silent video, instead of spreading them all over the page. :)

CoM_title_forum_2021.png

CHILDREN OF MERLIN - HARRT POTTER 1980S RPG
| Small app | Fluid time | Lots of species |

• 4 weeks later...

What is your opinion?

As long as it doesn't get to the point where I can't load a page, I'm okay with them. My internet is powered by a potato. So I can get some extreme lag on a site. Gifs are neat, but I don't think gifs are for the main page. Avatars, signatures and in the rule pages I can see it. But having your main banner be a 54 MB Gif can be daunting. 

Not visiting the site. If it's on my site then I tolerate it unless it is actually causing problems. 

Depends on the content of the Gif, if it's too many and too frequent. 

I understand why they would and have no bias against sites that forbid the gif. 

tumblr_nkiuyl_E6_Cu1u9zaaco1_400.gif

You asked for it

• I read this! 1

newersig.png

• Admin

I would be happy with a lollipop too.

• I read this! 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

I never said my fave gif. I have a lot of them but this one never fails to cheer me right up:

11efe4a9dff117ced1280022d84a8676088a9e77

• I read this! 3

Reality is an illusion. 

• Admin

OMG @Zozma you just killed me.

• I read this! 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

What is your opinion?

i am not a fan of gifs that I can't avoid. If they're just there and there's nothing I can do about it I get a little salty especially if they're super flashy. I have to monitor how I feel closely with gifs as they can sometimes make me sick or feel like I'm going to seize. some days my brain is better apt to handle it than others. Silly brain. No cookies for you. 

General avoidance. Unless I'm up feeling confident about a gif related thread I don't go into it. Part of this is the same method by which I avoid my phobias. For example, if I feel like seeing gifs is making me sick or I start to get the odd feelings in my head that I know means a seizure is coming on, I get away from the visual stimuli and rest for a bit. i had a really good day the other day with gifs; as some people might have noticed hahaha... Oops.... But it's that it's mostly only rapidly moving and super flashy ones that trigger me, which are extremely stimulating, so part of gif tolerance is trust in the people who are posting them. 

yes, so long as they aren't allowed as avatars and aren't used in signatures (at least excessively). I have noticed that some of the worst gifs happen in people's avatars when it's allowed and It's really not safe for me so I typically have to pass on the site. 

yes. 

well it depends on my mood more or less but probably this one because it tends to make me laugh for reasons I think you understand @Morrigan

imagegif

• I read this! 1

ghost_microkit_by_hyraea-d4c4grg.gif2nm3jao.jpg8120380.png?mtime=Vv_oIAAAYRw
:ghost:  2hmo3vd.png :ghost:
credits: [kitten][humerus][dragon]

I don't mind gifs for the most part. Though I don't like when people go overboard on them and have everything moving or flashing in some way. (Moderation is key... too much of anything isn't good.)

As for my favourite ones... Here are a few:

Ironmansuitupfail.gif

I don't even like football but this one..

Dodge.gif

And finally, after the XB1 and PS4 were revealed this was what happened (true story)...

xboxone-ps4-gif.gif

• I read this! 2
"There are three sides to every story... Your side, their side, and then somewhere in the middle is the truth."

• Admin
13 minutes ago, VirusZero said:

And finally, after the XB1 and PS4 were revealed this was what happened (true story)...

xboxone-ps4-gif.gif

OMG!  I heard about this. This right here is legit! ;)

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png