What works for you?

Lady Isadorabelle

Most effective advertising?  

22 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I hope this is okay, I wasn't sure where else to post it and I don't think I saw another similar one. If so, feel free to point me in the right direction. As a player what usually draws me into a game has to do with how pretty it is. I know that probably seems silly, but if I can't stand to look at the skin of a game....I have a hard time with it. The app doesn't matter, if most of the people on it use doHTML or don't doesn't matter (I copy/paste into word either way), but....the appearance. And the rating. And, when it comes to finding something new, I either stumble across it advertising my site (just happened like a week and a half ago, and it was sooo pretty!), look in DF's directory or I'm referred by a friend. As a staffer so far advertising has worked surprisingly well.

I'm just curious what works for everyone else, so I made a poll. What do you find gets you to join a game and how do you hear about said game? Staffers, what works for you the best? Is it completley pointless for us to use Facebook or Twitter because virtually all of us find each other via other means? Thanks guys, I'm just curious as both a staffer and a fellow rper. :)

muEzlN.jpg

I chose one above, but I don't think there is only one thing to function in advertising, It's all of them corroborrated.

I don't base my advertising only on dropping ads. I submit (almost) weekly to the tumblr directories, I bump my ads on resource sites, I am active on resource sites, with the site linked in my signature, I answer site requests, I promote wanted ads, spotlights, etc. on tumblr (with links so that anything posted on tumblr goes automatically on twitter and on FB page). Advertising is not a process with immediate results. One has to have his name there for a longer time to see the results.

As for what got ME to join a site, it depends. Most of the times it was the will to help a friend with a newly opened site. Other times I saw an ad on my site, and when doing link-backs, it made me curious to click.

Edited by Elena

I have only gotten the tiniest return from advertising on other sites and social media, even when I was actively posting every day on tumblr and promoting threads, wanteds, etc.. The same went for facebook and twitter. It just didn't bring in much of anything.

What advertising on other sites did do is bring us WAAAAAY up in the search results for that particular fandom/site. I don't do much in the way of anything other than affiliation and directories, aside from weekly or monthly ad runs when we have time.

I have gotten a lot of traffic and new members from directories and affiliations though. I have also found posting and being active here [and on other directories] with links in my signature has also gotten a fair bit of traffic.

• I read this! 1

I always look at directories first as a potential member. If I wake up one day and want to RP, they're my best bet. And if I'm too lazy to look, I can always post a "DO YOU HAVE WHAT I WANT" topic. 

As an admin, my best members always came from existing friends. But I've kinda cut ties with a lot of them so I shot myself in the foot there if I ever want to get another site off the ground.

Reality is an illusion. 

• 3 weeks later...

I had to select a trifecta: Directories, Affiliates, and Word-of-Mouth.

As an admin, I've found that combining the powers of all three got me the most help than any singular advertisement type. For a while I was able to function on JUST word of mouth, but after several years the old group starts falling apart...and it slides from there.

I've also found that as a regular RPer, the thread advertisement boards get cluttered very quickly, ads usually get bumped down quick, and really you're probably only going to get the attention of the site's admin when they post a link-back. Not very effective as a stand-alone, I've recently just sliced it from my pool entirely.

• I read this! 2

OnyxSiggy1.jpg.c76f2c1acc64a865bdf5164f4c085020.jpg

I always see people on directories saying repeatedly that posting ads on other sites is a complete waste, they never get members that way, etc. 

But then like, in sites I've adminned in the past, and also Derelict too, most of my members come from ads I've posted...on other sites. xD I wonder if it depends on the genre. I don't even advertise on that many sites; just a few a week, really. 

But anyway, I voted for both ads posted on other sites, and also directories. If there was a word of mouth option I'd have done that too, since a LOT of Derelict's members were originally either friends of mine, or friends of friends, and that's how they ended up there.

• I read this! 1

Sites I Call Home:
1k76GZV.gif ZJInThk.gifFhVILvF.png

I like Directories the most, but I found that advertising on other sites is actually the most effective (despite it being my least favorite method). Every new person I politely ask them how they found us and majority have done so from advertising on other forums. 

People searching on directories are often looking for something very specific. So it's often hard to fit their needs without it being a hard sell. 

Blindly advertising casts a wider net and people looking there are often times looking for just... anything. Especially if it's related. 

• I read this! 1

newersig.png

I actually post polls every few months to see where my members came from.

The top responses are Google, word of mouth and ads on other sites. I have yet to have a directory pay off - though clearly others have had better luck. 

• I read this! 2

I chose posting on other rp sites and directories. So far it's about half-half for each. :D

I rarely get members from voting lists (it's hard to get members to vote and therefore get on top of the lists!), and affiliates are a hit and miss depending on where the box is. That said, I have my affiliates right at the bottom of the main page, so I always feel guilty affiliating with someone who has them right at the top (and generally only ask for affiliation with sites where the buttons are in the same spot as mine, it's only fair).

• I read this! 2

• 2 years later...

I'm still getting the hang of advertising myself. It's slow. What worked getting me into sites was word of mouth from friends or friends asking for help. I'd usually go to help with small boards. So word of mouth worked for me. Other advertising hadn't worked out all that well for me and having my own now it isn't easy to divide my time just yet.

• Agree 1

spacer.pngDecadence