MyBB Theme Issues

John

Hey guys. A friend and I are opening a board up soon, and we decided to self-host because we want Mature Content freedom, and she has a domain and access to a server already. I did not install the software, but she assures me that the installation went correctly and I believe her. The problem is that our board does not display the [CSS?] correctly on either the master theme or a theme that she tried to install to test. We checked the documentation for the software, but their suggested fix did not help us. 

Does anyone know how to fix this massive issue?

This may seem odd, but try opening the CSS in MyBB's editor (Themes -> <your theme name> -> global.css ) and then just saving it. Then try reloading your site (by hitting the refresh button on your browser) and seeing if it's fixed it. 

Let us know how that goes (whether or not it fixes it) and we'll go from there.

Edited by VirusZero
  • I read this! 1
"There are three sides to every story... Your side, their side, and then somewhere in the middle is the truth."

Thanks for the suggestion!

Unfortunately, it did not work. 

I've asked on another forum -- the MyBB forum -- and they've given a suggestion that may work. Will let you guys know here too if it works or not.

• I read this! 1

• Admin

Well if it doesn't fix it then I know what the issue is @John It looks like the theme doesn't have permission to the CSS files:

<link href="http://icedover.nu/meridia/cache/themes/theme1/css3.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css">
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//IETF//DTD HTML 2.0//EN">
<html><head>
<title>403 Forbidden</title>
</head><body>
<h1>Forbidden</h1>
<p>You don't have permission to access /meridia/cache/themes/theme1/css3.css
on this server.</p>
</body></html>
</link>

Which means that you either need to change the permissions on the folders to have read access or the CSS file itself. Most likely it's the folder though.

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

Hi!

My friend with server access said she's already set the folder to 777/writable, and she checked the file too to make sure. There's been no change. The guys over at MyBB suggested contacting the person who actually runs the server to have disable some security stuff that might be interfering with CSS display. 

• Admin

Very possible. What are the permissions for the actual CSS file themselves?

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

• Admin

Who is your host @John?

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Just now, Morrigan said:

Who is your host @John?

Our host is my friend's Ex. I don't think it's a big company or anything. Are far as permissions, I can't check myself but I'm sure they are read and write -- she said as much. 

The suggestion we received, and we are still waiting on, is

" looks like css is blocked either by rewrite rules or by mod_security / suhosin 
it would be better to contact your web host & ask to disable such additional security "

She hasn't updated me yet, so I'm sure he's still at work and hasn't gotten back to her about it.

• Admin

Well if you still have problems feel free to hit me up. I can promise that the Morrgasm hosting we offer here on DF doesn't have those restrictions and we have many MyBB boards up and running.

Just let me know. You can see the information in the Hosting forum on DF.

• I read this! 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

For sure! I knew about the hosting program, and was keeping it in my back pocket in case we couldn't fix the problem since we're pretty positive that it's a server problem. The crazy part to me is that the CSS is perfectly fine in the ACP -- it's just busted on the index. Very weird, huh?

• Admin

Yeah that is weird but I've seen stranger permissions issues. mod_security does some screwy stuff.

• I read this! 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Okay, so it seems to be working again.

The solution for us was regenerating the theme1 and theme2 folders. Very strange. I'm hoping it's a permanent fix.

• I read this! 1

• Admin

Good to hear!!

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png