Least Favorite Skin Trends

Morrigan

Super light backgrounds with the font being super slim and stretched out. If I can feel my eyes straining to read ten seconds in, I'm going to click off as fast as I can.

I dislike site skins where things are very "all over the place" to the point that links don't even resemble a traditional forum format. It makes navigating really difficult. The forums and subforums look more like a cluttered website page than anything else. Aesthetically it looks nice/creative/artsy but it's not very practical for ease of use.

• 5 months later...

There's so much TEENY TINY FONT these days, I have a TV as my screen and on most boards it's fine but some boards just have it so small I have to zoom the page to actually read anything. Also the lyric or clever quotes instead of just calling sections what they are. How am I supposed to know your ad board is called Fist Bump or the Holonet?

• Agree 2

fa3E7jF.gifaffiliate.jpgLight-and-Life.gif

• 3 months later...

Fully white skins. Don't get me wrong, they're aesthetic as heck but they blast my eyes off with how bright they are. Other things are: tiny scrollbars, tiny letters, weirdly placed buttons for boards (this one isn't so bad, but I'm an old lady and some layouts I just keep getting lost on), tiny clicker. Basically, anything made small for the sake of aesthetic. I'm blind. 

I do like boards that have little banners for their areas. I think it's kind of immersive and cute to see what that little world looks like. I dunno what size of banner would bother me, but I've enjoyed the ones I've seen so far. Mini profiles you can customize are cute, too. Extra pic/job/sexuality/money/status/quote fields. It doesn't really add anything, but it's fun to fill out.

• Like 1

spacer.png
An Animanga Fantasy RP
(Jcink Premium)

• 3 weeks later...

Cluttered skins, trying desperately to look flashier than thou, which just end up being impossible to navigate. I like a pretty skin, but I like userfriendliness über alles.

I used to hate images on boards, but I figured out that it was much more the type of images that used to be in use on the boards I visited (but didn't join). Very much images that gave you zero idea of what that board was and then there was no text to let you know, so you kinda just had to figure it out. Very odd.

I don't think this is neccesarily a trend - not anymore at least - but black and red being the default for every vampire board ever was a bit cringe. 

spacer.png 

Link

Very dark text on dark backgrounds that are hard to see, and narrow scroll bars are ones I've noticed recently. Though anything that makes it harder to navigate will dissuade me from looking at a forum.