Least Favorite Skin Trends

Morrigan

I've been seeing a lot of giant static topbars. Like, they look great on a huge monitor but on my tiny ass laptop the actual roleplay boards only take up only half the screen!! I'm here to see content, not just your topbar links!!!

• I read this! 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you 1

translunary.gif.5374a61b67b4df1af4bb898e0c039553.gif

a dark, urban fantasy;

inspired by sailor moon

I really hate the new trend of having all of the main fonts at 9-10px. I feel like the minimum for your main content should be at least 11px. Having some sort of variability with the font sizes is fine, but ugh if I have to squint to see everything, I am going to pass.

• I read this! 1
  • Preach it! 1

v7mhkA.png

Original Fantasy RPG

• 2 months later...

I despise fixed widths with a passion. Especially if you don't have a mobile version for your skin.

Also, tiny fonts. What's wrong with good old 12px? I'm fine with some secondary bit having a tinier font, but essential information should be as comfortable to read as possible.

I can't stand anything that produces horizontal scrolling, although I suspect that's mostly a lack of coding skills, rather than a deliberate choice.

Unpopular opinion, however - I do like big headers! They feel like the cover of a book. However, I 1) only put them on the Index page and 2) add a Skip Header button. Having them on every single page would be indeed quite annoying.

UNMASQUED

Vampires are real. Now the world knows about them.

"Site viewed best on [insert site admin's preferred browser choice here]."

Hopefully a dying trend, but I still see it on occasion. This is 2017 in the world of smartphones, tablets and all kinds of different viewing devices. Don't tell me what I can/can't view the site on!

75357731.jpg

• I read this! 1

Mythic Frontier, a Weird and Wild Western RPG

A blend of Cthulhu Horror, Supernatural and the Wild Wild West.
Join the Discord!
mythicbtn.gif 

Other Interesting Sites:
?url=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FFOjc0AH.

Want your Discord chat in embedded on your site? I am a developer on TitanEmbeds.
Please feel free to PM/Discord me if you need assistance!
Addy#5522

Tiny fonts.

Please, please stop with the tiny fonts. I get that it "looks nice", but it makes reading so hard. If I have to squint to make out your site, I'm out.

• Agree 1

haliea_sig.png.d576f8c161ea332444febd20bf4e72eb.png

Antarsia | Guidebook

When the Gods turn on their people, the tables turn.

Where will you stand?

Original High Medieval Fantasy || 3-3-3

Along with banners that take up the whole page, I think sites with symbols and cutesy names for their boards that aren't straight forward, can sometimes feel like understanding ancient greek. Anything that makes it hard to understand the layout generally makes me annoyed. I also really hate it when you keep getting that annoying message to get site notification. Sometimes even when I am visiting a site I will get like 5 of them. I think they are for the cboxes, but it's up there with pop up ads.

• I read this! 1

Please, no more of these crazy mini profiles that take up the top, the side, AND the bottom of posts! YIKES.

Reality is an illusion. 

• Admin
24 minutes ago, Zozma said:

Please, no more of these crazy mini profiles that take up the top, the side, AND the bottom of posts! YIKES.

You must PM me a screenshot.

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

Here's a couple of random ones I found. No offense meant to the sites they came from. I just personally dislike the trend. 

EDIT: Whoops, didn't see that PM comment. I feel stupid now. I was on my phone before bed.

Edited by Zozma
I'm a dumb

Reality is an illusion. 

On 1/26/2016 at 11:42 PM, Rune said:

One I've been seeing lately is super tiny text. Maybe I'm getting old, maybe it's the fact that I tend to browse on my far monitor... But I don't get why you'd make the text super tiny and difficult to read.

HUGE forums. Like, three forums take up the entire screen because you have them so large. 

I am with you on the tiny texts and colors that don't differentiate the text from the background. 

I also dislike the profile apps, I have them on a site I'm monkeying around with and have decided I just don't like it. 

Old lady set in her ways I suppose, or maybe because it requires more coding skills than I have to establish them. 

• I read this! 1

Oh, I recently came across this one: sites that have so many hover menus that it took my computer an entire five minutes to fully load the site and get it to respond.

It's not an issue with my computer, either. It was the site itself. And hoo man, did I nope outta there quick.

• I read this! 2

haliea_sig.png.d576f8c161ea332444febd20bf4e72eb.png

Antarsia | Guidebook

When the Gods turn on their people, the tables turn.

Where will you stand?

Original High Medieval Fantasy || 3-3-3

• Admin

No breadcrumb so you can't navigate up one level of a multi-level forum.

• Preach it! 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

My least favorite thing right now is unreadable/overly fancy fonts. Like, live your dreams in your graphics, but when I go to read a character name and I'm like: "Well shoot... is that a 't,' 'f,' 'l,' or 'i' " it's really rough. Use beautiful fonts. T_T but use them responsibly. 

Also.... informational banners. Like hover banners and tabbed banners. There are certainly times when they are done well and they work efficiently, but most of the time, it's important information that is now not easily accessible -- especially in mobile. ._.

(Also just the pain that is mobile on sites 24/7, but I don't think that's skinning so much as that's dohtmls and mobile sites not being updated)

Edited by Thyme
tumblr_ovxhy4cZLY1wtsmmno3_r1_100.jpg

@Thyme I don't know if some host has default "mobile sites", but essentially responsive design is an (important, undervalued) element of skinning.

UNMASQUED

Vampires are real. Now the world knows about them.

On 9/10/2017 at 1:56 PM, featherstone said:

@Thyme I don't know if some host has default "mobile sites", but essentially responsive design is an (important, undervalued) element of skinning.

jcink has a painful mobile site. You can make responsive templates for it, but the default font and settings are not usually set up well with boards/skins so it's all a mess. (At least from what I've seen).

tumblr_ovxhy4cZLY1wtsmmno3_r1_100.jpg