Least Favorite Skin Trends

Morrigan

• Admin

So I love skinning and making things pretty and everything. I mean DF is my tweak time fun. I'm actually working on possibly starting a custom web design company based on the influx of customer's I just got.

That being said I was wondering, within the roleplay world, what are your least favorite trends? What is it that makes you cringe every time you see it used.

I think mine are huge waste of space banners. I understand that they are there to be flashy and (sometimes) have the information that used to go in a sidebar but really!? Do you have to have a banner that nearly spans 1200px in height to cover my desktop screen?

Favorite ones from here:

• I read this! 2

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

OMG, I hate the giant banners, too. If it's taller than 300px, I'm out. And honestly, it better have STUFF to justify even that height (like log in stuff or buttons or menus). If it's 300px of JUST AN IMAGE, yuck. I'm sorry, I have very strong feelings about wasting space with stupid-big headers.

Any sites that scroll horizontally. Yuck.

I use Chrome and effing HATE those skinny little scroll bars. Nothing like swinging the entire window down because I can't hook onto the 2px wide scroll bar. Ugh!

And I know DF is guilty of this but I don't like asymmetry so when people use the grid forum style but don't try to even everything out neatly, it comes across as messy and unfinished to me.

• I read this! 2

Reality is an illusion. 

• Admin
10 minutes ago, Zozma said:

And I know DF is guilty of this but I don't like asymmetry so when people use the grid forum style but don't try to even everything out neatly, it comes across as messy and unfinished to me.

Haha, I don't try to be. ;) It auto-sizes using javascript based on screen size. >_> Silly things that people want to work on mobile devices. haha

I totally agree with horizontal scroll bars though.

• I read this! 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

• Black/White color schemes without ANY other colors. Throw some purple, red or something in there. Anything. 
  • Large banners turn me off and gif banners are also obnoxious. Simple, effective and pretty. It doesn't need to take up majority of the forum. 
  • Images in the forum descriptions.... that aren't the same size as the rest. Using images in the description is fine. No problem. Having your images in the forum description all be different sizes, I'll pass. 
  • Hovering Cbox that floats OVER the forum. I've seen this a lot of Jcink and I HATE it. I don't want things hovering over the forum itself. I can CTRL+/- to try to get it off of the forum, but then I can't actually read anything. 
  • Yellow and Orange. I don't much like those colors. Having them is fine. But if the only colors there are those two, I'll likely opt out of being on said forum. 
  • I read this! 3

newersig.png

• Admin
9 minutes ago, Faylen said:

Yellow and Orange. I don't much like those colors. Having them is fine. But if the only colors there are those two, I'll likely opt out of being on said forum. 

O_O *hides the Yellow on DF*:kisses:

• I read this! 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Just now, Morrigan said:

O_O *hides the Yellow on DF*:kisses:

But there are other colors here though. It's mostly blue. I've been on some sites and it was ALL orange/yellow. It offended my eyes and I felt like they were burning. Also you have like, Gold and Burnt Orange here. Not quite Orange and Yellow. =P

• I read this! 1

newersig.png

• Admin

That's because we're awesome. ;) I was just messing with you. I worked hard for that to work just right without being obnoxious. You should have seen the original. (Ask @Zozma) It was ALL YELLOW WITH BLUE HIGHLIGHTS.... j/k.

I don't do well with light skins. They offend my eyes especially since most of them are low contrast.

I don't suggest the "Ice Cream Parlor" skin though. It's like beige yellowy with pastels. Just an FYI @Faylen

• I read this! 2

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Just now, Morrigan said:

That's because we're awesome. ;) I was just messing with you. I worked hard for that to work just right without being obnoxious. You should have seen the original. (Ask @Zozma) It was ALL YELLOW WITH BLUE HIGHLIGHTS.... j/k.

I don't do well with light skins. They offend my eyes especially since most of them are low contrast.

I don't suggest the "Ice Cream Parlor" skin though. It's like beige yellowy with pastels. Just an FYI @Faylen

I'll do my best to avoid that. I honestly didn't have the need to ever even check to see if there were alternative skins since I enjoyed the main one so much. 

Except when the shark appears at the window. He always looks hungry and is gazing right at me. 

• I read this! 1

newersig.png

• Admin
Just now, Faylen said:

Except when the shark appears at the window. He always looks hungry and is gazing right at me. 

I prefer the Dinosaur myself. Although the ominous mouth eating the road is pretty cool. I also like the one that looks like the road goes on forever....

What am I saying? I had sooooo much fun making those windows.

• I read this! 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

24 minutes ago, Morrigan said:

I prefer the Dinosaur myself. Although the ominous mouth eating the road is pretty cool. I also like the one that looks like the road goes on forever....

What am I saying? I had sooooo much fun making those windows.

I quite enjoy it as well. It brings a fresh look to the site every other time I come here. Very well thought out. Everything is the same, yet different enough to make a fresh experience all because of your window. 

• I read this! 1

newersig.png

I am a fan of dark with a mix of bright color themes. I never been a fan of a site being mostly one single color with very little range to that color, though anything earth themed steals my heart away. 

I have to agree with the hate of large signatures. I am a banner maker myself for years and I normally only do wide banners that normally never get wider than 500 px.  This is one trend that most people love that I have never liked... I do not like avis. I do not know why but I always wanted them just not to be there completely. I am very weird!

• I read this! 3

4 hours ago, Morrigan said:

Haha, I don't try to be. ;) It auto-sizes using javascript based on screen size. >_> Silly things that people want to work on mobile devices. haha

I totally agree with horizontal scroll bars though.

Yeah that's not your fault, then. :P But at least it's readable on mobile.

• I read this! 1

Reality is an illusion. 

Muted color schemes where the text is like, a shade or two away from the background and barely readable. Ex: Med Grey text on a charcoal box background, that's got a light grey border before the broader background behind it is that same charcoal color. With all the pictures in a muted half-greyed and faded to like 35% opacity.

I also hate annoying GIFs that bombard your peripheral vision while you're trying to concentrate on the text; be it avatar, signature, or even affiliate buttons.

• I read this! 5

OnyxSiggy1.jpg.c76f2c1acc64a865bdf5164f4c085020.jpg

One I've been seeing lately is super tiny text. Maybe I'm getting old, maybe it's the fact that I tend to browse on my far monitor... But I don't get why you'd make the text super tiny and difficult to read.

HUGE forums. Like, three forums take up the entire screen because you have them so large. 

I'm not a fan of Random Stock Image Person being all over a site. Especially if there's no indication as to what the site is about and there's 3 different random people doing vague motions that aren't helping decipher what's going on in any way. A guy with a hat? Okay, is it a real world site? Oh, she appears to be squatting and drinking? College, maybe? 

• I read this! 8
  • Preach it! 1

Least favorite skinning trends? Simply put, trying to be better than the other site with their skin. These flashy graphics and hover... things. It just... irritates me to no end. I am a huge fan of simplicity in a website skin.

• I read this! 5

poke_bro.png