Least Favorite Skin Trends

Morrigan

(1) Discord.

(2) Using the same prefab skins as everyone else, especially with very little customization

• I read this! 1
  • Agree 1

zootopia.gif

A relaxed, dark and gritty roleplay based on Disney's Zootopia. 

Dark themes in general, I love greens and yellows, and whites, anything light.

And those stupid c boxes that float all around my screen and disrupt everything. Just put it on the side bar or something, aye yi yi.

• I read this! 3

Color pop. As a photographer I'm floored at how many people think this is still ok. And for those that may not know exactly what this is, it is where everything is in black and white but a single color. Like you have a whole hoard of children and only their eyes are blue while the rest is in black and white.

Like...that should have stayed in the early 00's with all the rest of that tacky. Bleh.

• Agree 1

"Everyone has been doing so much soul searching during all of this,

and I'm just over here drawing pics of my character's dicks."

I've noticed this more on JCink sites than anywhere else - there's usually a very small, very difficult to read menu at the top, and a three column category/board index table which takes up a lot of room on the page, but has tiny fonts where there's only a line or two of description so you have to squint to read anything. Bonus points if the colours don't contrast properly, making it even more difficult to read. I know a lot of people love jcink, but I'd like the format better if I could easily read and navigate the board.

• I read this! 1

Is it a new thing to get rid of the navigation? Because I've seen a lot of sites without it so you have to hit back to get to the index after posting something.

• I read this! 5

Light skins. I get bad headaches from staring at stuff that's bright for too long, and light or bright skins can trigger the headaches even when my laptop/phone screen brightness is turned all the way down. White or pastel backgrounds annoy me the most.

• I read this! 1

I also have a problem with light skins like you describe, especially when I browse at night. I've also come across skins which have a black background and a while forum category/posting area and the high contrast between that has the same effect. The effect is not as bad in good lighting, but I still have a problem with screen glare and cannot use the computer at all on sunny days without having the curtains and blinds down. I sometimes have migraines and light skins can trigger visual disturbances (mainly dots whizzing around the place) which is also made worse on sunny days. (I can't look up at the sky without having that problem.)

• I read this! 1

Removing the New Topic button to prevent ads.

> : [

zootopia.gif

A relaxed, dark and gritty roleplay based on Disney's Zootopia. 

I don't know if I have anything new to offer, but vertical columns are hard to navigate! I also don't like hovering to figure out what a forum is. Tiny fonts and heavy data usage are insta-mood killers for me. There is literally no reason for either with good web design practices, and on several sites I complained to the creators about these issues, the "resolution" was to magnify the screen. "This sounds more like a you problem" is not the best response you can give someone who is otherwise enthusiastic about joining your site. So now I don't even bother.

Insta-mood killer.

• 3 weeks later...
On 06/04/2017 at 2:53 AM, Icewolf said:

I've noticed this more on JCink sites than anywhere else - there's usually a very small, very difficult to read menu at the top, and a three column category/board index table which takes up a lot of room on the page, but has tiny fonts where there's only a line or two of description so you have to squint to read anything. Bonus points if the colours don't contrast properly, making it even more difficult to read. I know a lot of people love jcink, but I'd like the format better if I could easily read and navigate the board.

It's less a Jcink problem, and more a most people use the same premade templates and shoddy design problem. :D

Edited by Honorem
  • I read this! 1
  • Preach it! 1

Sites that have a different forum for EVERY. SINGLE. LOCATION. so you have to scroll for half an hour to get to the bottom! Try to keep it concise, people!

• I read this! 2
  • Agree 1
Find me on my sites!
The Next Incantation :: The Last Island

56 minutes ago, Cyn said:

Sites that have a different forum for EVERY. SINGLE. LOCATION. so you have to scroll for half an hour to get to the bottom! Try to keep it concise, people!

Subforums exist for a reason!

• I read this! 2

I pointed out to someone that I had to scroll left to right to see their entire skin (in other words, it was too wide for my wide-ish screened computer) and that there was a giant blank spot that was keeping it from being viewed normally.  Their response was that I need to shrink my display smaller so that I could see the entire board.

Thus, my least favorite trend is when people believe that the responsibility to make a legible and accessible skin falls upon the user, not the administrator.

• I read this! 1
  • Preach it! 2

WoL___dark01.png

Along these lines, when the Cbox is aligned on the far left but the board is on the far right and they've somehow wound up with this GIANT BLANK SPACE between them. 

• I read this! 1