Least Favorite Skin Trends

Morrigan

3 minutes ago, Thyme said:

jcink has a painful mobile site. You can make responsive templates for it, but the default font and settings are not usually set up well with boards/skins so it's all a mess. (At least from what I've seen).

I've seen really bad mobile skins on jcink, either broken, missing half of a site's content, or just very bland. However I just assumed the skin authors hadn't cared so much for mobile view...

Can't you just disable it and use a bunch of media queries, instead? Admittedly it's a lot of work, but worth doing IMO. I only code for MyBB, though. No idea what you can do on jcink.

• I read this! 1

UNMASQUED

Vampires are real. Now the world knows about them.

7 minutes ago, featherstone said:

I've seen really bad mobile skins on jcink, either broken, missing half of a site's content, or just very bland. However I just assumed the skin authors hadn't cared so much for mobile view...

Can't you just disable it and use a bunch of media queries, instead? Admittedly it's a lot of work, but worth doing IMO. I only code for MyBB, though. No idea what you can do on jcink.

Tbf, it's probably a mixture of both, but it doesn't edit with the rest of the skin generally, which is why it often looks like a mess (and when it does adapt to the skin, it often does so sloppily -- making fonts unreadable or posts not on the screen). 

I figured out how to strong arm it to be vaguely cooperative, but it's still bleh, imho. (I think most people just use desktop version on their phone to avoid the problem.)

• I read this! 1
tumblr_ovxhy4cZLY1wtsmmno3_r1_100.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Admin

Themes that don't take into account the "frill" stuff like the User Control Panel, the PM system etc.

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

Forum headers that are images of text, instead of proper text.

"Gaming" themed skins that are black with neon accents, and what I like to call "90s corporate gradient abuse".

Dark themes. I know, I know... this site has a dark theme. I just think a lot of skinners don't quite grasp how to tone down colors for a dark theme. I loathe pure white text on pure black SO much.

Glub glub.

• 3 weeks later...

Eye-bleedingly bright colours on a board. Like, neon bright. And colours that just clash together.

Scrolling board headers. I dunno. Sometimes they can look nice but I'd rather just look at a detailed thread for all the information. I wouldn't not join a site because of it but I wouldn't use them myself.

Cboxes that toggle over the main board?? Why?? 

Banners that are huge and cluttered and are like, an amalgamation of a million blended pictures! Blends that have 2-3 images aren't so bad but when you've got 10 stock images merged into one it just feels so cluttered! Give me sleek, clean and simple any day. I'm a firm believer that sometimes less is more.

Boards that have stupidly hard to read fonts or there's just text everywhere to read one just the index page.

On 9/24/2017 at 6:35 PM, Deep Sea said:

Forum headers that are images of text, instead of proper text.

"Gaming" themed skins that are black with neon accents, and what I like to call "90s corporate gradient abuse".

Dark themes. I know, I know... this site has a dark theme. I just think a lot of skinners don't quite grasp how to tone down colors for a dark theme. I loathe pure white text on pure black SO much.

This site has a light theme option. I use it because I also dislike dark themes. The only issue is that quotes are still black with grey font for some reason. 

• I read this! 1

Reality is an illusion. 

• Admin
23 hours ago, Zozma said:

This site has a light theme option. I use it because I also dislike dark themes. The only issue is that quotes are still black with grey font for some reason. 

People should report that shit. Because I don't use that theme but I can fix it.

• I read this! 2

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Will do next time! Sorry about that!

• Love 1

Reality is an illusion. 

• Admin
2 hours ago, Zozma said:

Will do next time! Sorry about that!

It's fixed now right?

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Yep! Thank you! <3

• Love 1

Reality is an illusion. 

A site's desktop skin working fine on mobile because it's made with percentages or something like it...

... until you go to a thread, and can't read anything, because their posting templates are using fixed widths.

• Agree 1
  • LOL 1

Tiny text, blurry text, or worse, tiny and blurry text. I don't care if it's your aesthetic; I want to be able to read your site info without feeling like I need to get my eyes checked.

Tiny or invisible scroll bars. I like to be able to see it to grab it so I can scroll quickly to where I want to be.

• Preach it! 2

banner-thor-ragnarok.gif.8b2b71697c69ef1ccebca1c84ae6b29f.gif

• 1 month later...

At this particular moment the only trend I really seriously hate is cursive font. Especially super thin cursive font that is super loopy and you can't read it! 

Also, any site that uses white font on baby blue backgrounds. I shouldn't have to highlight your font to read it. 

I just have a lot of problem with fonts apparently...

• I read this! 1
  • Preach it! 3

• 2 months later...

My biggest. My absolutely biggest layout pet peeve and when things don't line up well. I know I've had trouble adjusting coding to fix the site. But I stayed there adjusting lines till it's fixed or nearly unnoticeable. My OCD kicks in and I can't....

• I read this! 1

• 1 month later...