Least Favorite Skin Trends

Morrigan

Too much cursive? I've seen some skins out there where I have a hard time reading the font being used. That or parts of the contrast being terrible (pink on white, neon fonts). I have really good eyesight and it hurts.

• Agree 1

luxaf.png

• 1 month later...
On 6/19/2018 at 7:50 PM, August said:

Too much cursive? I've seen some skins out there where I have a hard time reading the font being used. That or parts of the contrast being terrible (pink on white, neon fonts). I have really good eyesight and it hurts.

Yes! I have seen far too many skins with their squiggly cursive fonts that make it IMPOSSIBLE to read the site. I personally like having a stand out font for my main titles and such, but these extreme cursive fonts are getting out of hand. It's to the point where I have to copy and paste the text into another text area just to read what it says. Your skin shouldn't have to sacrifice readability for ascetic purposes, in my opinion.

I am having a hard time with color schemes right now. For example bright white and pastel green. Can I just have a little bit of contrast so my eyes don't hurt? Please?

v7mhkA.png

Original Fantasy RPG

Literally all all of these are super minor nitpicks that are just personal preferences but...

-Avatars and mini profiles being on the right instead of the left. That's mostly because most sites I'm on have them on the left and it's confusing for me otherwise, so literally just a personal preference for me xD. 

-Layouts that don't have important links on display. I notice a lot of sites now  are super minimalist with the banners area and don't have links to the rules and the canons and face claims that are easy to click. Like I know it's aesthetically probably more pleasing, but it's a bit of a hassle to go hunting in the forum for stuff . (Especially since stuff like face claims can be in either the main documents or the character area depending on how a site is organized) 

-Skins not having a search button on display on the index, and I have to type in "act=search" manually.  I'm someone who uses the search function a lot to find old posts, so I like it being easy to get to.

• 1 year later...

I don't know if this has been said yet and I don't know if I can even explain it properly. 

The skins that don't seem to have borders for their categories and forums. It's just text on background. I guess it could be said to be very minimalist but I swear my brain malfunctions every time I am on one of those sites. I feel like I can't find anything. 😂

• Fuck Yeah! 1
  • Preach it! 2

So many covered above, but wanted to add the super busy headers. You know the ones that have the header image, then columns and rows of information. There's link boxes to the right, more links at the top, staff icons at the bottom, news and updates. Usually filled with gifs or fancy fonts that rotate, flash or move about. Then, some of these things only show up when you hover. Just...too much it kills my eyes and my screen. I don't have problem with header and a single row of things under it, it's the ones where it's all squashed all around the header and likely at the top for navigation as well. So much busy. 

• Preach it! 2

spacer.png

• 1 month later...

A navigation that is collapsed on default (like a sidebar that requires a click to open) absolutely does. my. head. in. 😐 
I spend five minutes like WHERE!?!!??
Stylistically I think they look beautiful and the collapsible Thing is really fab, but not set to collapsed on default! New people can't find it!

Edited by neverrmind

Super stoked admin at

DIRECTORYAD.gif

My eyes have gotten so much worse over time that small font is such a struggle ;-;

• Preach it! 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/16/2020 at 6:48 PM, min said:

My eyes have gotten so much worse over time that small font is such a struggle ;-;

Light font on dark backgrounds are a struggle for me too. Also if the colors are too close to being the same. Slap small font size on that and I won't be able to read anything. I'll just do a lot of guess work. 😂

Everything is just too busy for me. Like there are too many graphics and fonts and wild colors and weirdly placed items that it makes me physically sick to even look at some site designs. It’s just too visually overwhelming. Lately I’ve fallen back to more traditional forum trends. The simpler, the better. 

Edited by Zozma

Reality is an illusion. 

• 2 weeks later...

+1 on the blinding light layouts, but I have a secret weapon against them. My browser (Vivaldi) has a handy little menu at the bottom that lets me invert the page colours but not images, and lemmie tell you its an absolute godsend lol

Any site where I see a horizontal scrollbar across the whole page is one that I leave instantly these days. Same goes for if you've got a collapsible sidebar that shoves the layout off the page when its open. Half of these layouts shove all the info on the right side of the screen too, and now I have to find your scrollbar to pull the info where I can see it, and that's just too much work to do on every single page. Along with that is usually a teensy tiny post template that's used for all their info/mandatory. I have 1360px (roughly) of horizontal space to use, and you're taking up more than that for about 400px wide info? No thanks... Tbh, size issues reflect poorly on the admin for me because now I have to wonder if that's the only thing you're being inconsiderate/not thinking about.

• Like 1

Candide: An original dystopian RPG

Please use CONTRAST. So many sites use a dark grey/blackish background and then the fonts are a mid-grey and it's impossible to read anything because the text doesn't stand out at all. That paired with tiny fonts gives me a brain aneurysm. 

rsz_nightborn_signature.png.49b292d20e17d3c29707bfecdb8bb800.png

• 3 weeks later...

I really don't jive with column themes; I've noticed they're all sort of dark colored, as well. It makes it hard to read and comprehend from just an onlookers perspective. 

Guest burningbridges19

Minimalistic skins. Don't get me wrong, I love a good high contrast skin as much as anyone, but if it's just black and white and isn't aesthetically pleasing and/or doesn't fit the site theme, I am not interested in the site itself.

• 2 weeks later...

For me its a toss up between having a cbox thats not minimizable/able to be hidden, and when a site doesn't have a simplified mobile interface. I'm on my phone half the time and when it gets large my phone gets janky and I can't read or post anything.  As for the cbox thing, I don't ever use them, and I hardly find a site that actively uses the forum chat, instead insisting on discord anyways. WHy have it there, messing up the view and the aesthetic if you won't even use it?

• 3 weeks later...

More than one gif being required to fill out my character's profile/overly complicated main profiles and mini profiles generally. 

Edited by akakios

4rlXnvM.png

Maudlin
A Post-War Marauders AU, 1985