Getting over the Slump

Morrigan

• Admin

What are your methods for getting beyond the slump of writers block (especially after being sick).

For me, sometimes, it's that I write in different genres or switch gears but sometimes that just makes me less likely to write in the original setting.

Overall I just move forward and onward through many stories but I want to know what you all do to get back in the game. Life was crazy, you were sick and now you want to write! HOW DO YOU DO IT!?

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

I guess I just plug forward. I haven't been feeling so well lately but I also have a drive to try and get my site back into action. So I've been pushing forward as best I can. When I'm creatively uninterested in anything, I listen to new and exciting music that gets my inspiration moving or I watch something new that sparks my interest. Books are a GREAT outlet if I can find something that truly fascinates me. It works best when I think "I SHOULD HAVE WRITTEN THIS" because it gets my butt working into overdrive. 

• I read this! 3

Reality is an illusion. 

Multiple characters. I usually have three levels of difficulty for writing. 

• Easy Mode (Chaotic Neutral Characters, Impulsive, Brash, Obnoxious and Loud). I find them easy to write for. I can literally just headbutt the keyboard and write a coherent post for them. These don't usually need other character's to do something interesting for a good post to be made due to their impulsiveness. Mostly because they don't usually require much thought to them. When I'm in a slump or need to get the ball rolling, I'll write for them. 

• Normal Mode (Neutral Good or Lawful Neutral. Preserved, Conservative, Anti-Social or an Invert). These are harder to write for as each of their social interactions are abrupt. Mostly internal dialogue and body language. Their expressions and how they react to other characters is important. Meaning more attention is required. When I'm feeling good, I post for these characters. 

• Hard Mode (Lawful Evil. Maniacal, Megalomaniac, Sociopath, Secrets, Manipulative, Plotting). These are the hardest to write for. Usually a mastermind or someone who thinks themselves far more than they actually are. Have to do each piece of dialogue carefully as to not out themselves at an inopportune moment. Usually these characters are also of a higher intelligence than the other's I play and have a much larger vocabulary. A good Muse is needed to write for these ones. 

Basically, even in a slump I can write for my Chaotic characters. It keeps me active and the site active. Not to mention if a thread gets stale you can spice it up with some impulsive decisions (The one I currently play can't stand being bored. Doesn't tolerate it. He's also very brash, obnoxious and has no filter. He will straight up state he's bored and change the tone of the thread). They keep threads from getting stale. But it has to be done carefully else it'll be a gimmick and not be very fun. 

• I read this! 2

newersig.png

18 hours ago, Zozma said:

I guess I just plug forward. I haven't been feeling so well lately but I also have a drive to try and get my site back into action. So I've been pushing forward as best I can. When I'm creatively uninterested in anything, I listen to new and exciting music that gets my inspiration moving or I watch something new that sparks my interest. Books are a GREAT outlet if I can find something that truly fascinates me. It works best when I think "I SHOULD HAVE WRITTEN THIS" because it gets my butt working into overdrive. 

This is more or less how I am doing too. I believe in powering through. Music, movies, books or brainstorming with the writing partners help.

• I read this! 3

• 2 weeks later...

I try to watch some new movie or tv show, or read a book, related to the genre where I'm experiencing the slump. Those usually get me in the mood to write stuff. Though they can also be a double-edged sword, because an awesome character you discover can translate to 'I need a new character who can do stuff like this!', which is a different kind of enthusiasm that you don't need concerning writing with existing ones. :D

• I read this! 2