Good Staff Experiences

Morrigan

• Admin

So most of us have been staffers before. There are the good, the bad and the ugly. This thread is for good experiences as a staff member. Ones that made you go "God I'm glad I'm a staff member".

For me I have too many to count. I just love having supportive staff members, ones I can rely on. @Zozma and @AKNyx are two I could list off the top of my head. <33

I think another one would be that I love when my members inspire me. Things like the DF Bake Off! They are amazing things that make me feel good about being a staff member, especially here at DF.

• I read this! 2
  • Love 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

My current staff is lovely! Our site's been around since 2014 BUT it has not been the most active, especially due in part to me and all these bumps I've been running into. Health, family, pets, it just keeps piling up. But they're always there when I shout for them! <3

• I read this! 2

Reality is an illusion. 

I like having staff which are always on the same page as me. It's nice when I have an issue/don't have an issue, I know they feel the same way.

It's also nice when you get a great run in general on a site. Awesome apps for days with not a single thing needing fixing. It's just a breeze flying through approving everyone. Everyone's happy, I'm happy, all is good in the world.

I will be quiet now because I talk about it too much and my good luck streak might change. xD!

• I read this! 2

• 3 months later...

When someone just says thank you. A member who has been getting on for a few years now asks how I am doing and what is going on with the site just says thank you for the hard work that I put in. I don't do it for the thanks, but when they come in they mean the world to me and make me want to do even more to make my site the best place it possibly can be.

• I read this! 3
  • Love 1
mrgx9Op.png

On Sunday, 8 May 2016 at 7:56 AM, C_Freedom said:

When someone just says thank you. A member who has been getting on for a few years now asks how I am doing and what is going on with the site just says thank you for the hard work that I put in. I don't do it for the thanks, but when they come in they mean the world to me and make me want to do even more to make my site the best place it possibly can be.

Well said. If someone appreciates what you've done, gives all kinds of warm and fuzzy feelings.

One of my own, when members are inspired enough by the site to draw or make something related to it (whether its a character, place, whatever). Have a member who makes kick ass figurines out of plasticine, and the other day he made one representing a faction. So yes, a great staff experience is when the lore you worked hard on is responded to like that. Makes one feel absolutely honoured. :P

• I read this! 2

• 4 months later...

Have to post here again (sorry for double post).

Been working on new site at leisurely pace for a while. But also got a bunch of really dedicated, awesome members on other site. I don't want them to feel like I've abandoned older site for new one if they randomly stumble across it, so I post a little notice letting them know I'm going to be opening a new game as well, but not to worry because I'll dedicate time to both.

Now I thought the response might be indifferent 'cool' or nothing at all. Instead, everyone replies stating how awesome they think it sounds, and to let them know when it launches because they'd love to be a part. Makes me so happy! :D

• I read this! 4

• 11 months later...

Once I went MIA shortly after opening a site, and when I returned, I expected to find a shell of a board. Nope. It turns out someone I hired off a resource site - and a stranger at that - hung around the site and chatted with members, generally keeping morale up and activity going . . . All without actually roleplaying. She ended up stepping down after awhile, but that site thrived for four years. I'll always credit her with getting the board through a tough period of my unexplained absence that thus allowed the site a chance to be as strong as it could be.

From this, I remember the importance of good staff members, and that ultimately the staff you choose can be an invaluable asset to the board.

• I read this! 4

WoL___dark01.png

As the only staff-member I always find immeasurable amounts of unadulterated joy when players reach out to me and volunteer to help. I cannot fully express my gratitude when members offer to do things when it was entirely unsolicited and unexpected. I am always overwhelmed by my gratefulness for having players that care enough to want to do something a bit above and beyond just being an ordinary player.

I started an Acknowledgements List on our Forum and I add to it every single time someone does something like that. It feels meager that I can only offer praises (and compensation) for such help. Most don't take either so I just sit here and flail wildly at my keyboard unable to do much than offer them Private Messages worth of THANKS.

When something like this happens, my faith in the success of our game is always renewed. If I have such amazing people I run into once or twice, or those that are highly active on our site, how could I NOT be totally in love with being Staff?!

• Great Idea 1

Oh that looks cool, @Zahhy! I'm going to do that on my site, too.

• Thank you 1

WoL___dark01.png

One day I was bragging about how we had no drama issues on our site cbox because we all handled it like mature adults where the rules of reality apply. I realized this was unfair and that I should test them for real.

So I did. I entered my own cbox as a troll and did the absolute worst I could think of. It wasn't even competition for them. They retorted back, taking no shit, while at the same time making it funny, fun, and inviting me to join.

I teared up, I was so proud.

• I read this! 3
  • Fuck Yeah! 1

zootopia.gif

A relaxed, dark and gritty roleplay based on Disney's Zootopia. 

• 3 years later...

I feel like being a staff member has allowed me to meet some seriously spectacular individuals over the years! I have those I rely on when I have a bad day or just want to write out the shenanigans in my head. ❤️ No matter what, I can always rely on them! 

This could even connect back to the bad experience we had on site with a banned member - and the rest of the site was SO incredibly patient and kind despite the trolling in our chat. They didn't engage except to say that they heard what the other was saying and to kindly leave. There are some really great people out there!

• 2 months later...

When I was pulled into the team to help make the site I'm currently on, one of the reasons I was told they really wanted me was because: "I know I can fight with you."

Weird right? But a series of yes men won't make a good staff. You need someone to challenge decisions and someone who can debate. But at the end of the day you need to know that whatever "fights" we have, it's adult, its mature. We're not threatening to leave the site, going for personal attacks, or trying to hurt people's feelings. 

The reason I love this staff team is because we can express our opinions and we can agree or disagree but at the end of the day we're still friends and we're all adults. I wouldn't trade our staff team for the world. 

Signature.gif.f990d17d00a304eecbd3578bd5de4cf5.gif

• 2 months later...

My best friend and I staffed a roleplay site for around one year between 2015-2016 before we had to shut down. But, the community we had gathered over the year continued to visit the site all the way through 2021, occasionally leaving heartfelt messages in the chat or the boards itself. The fact that our rping community left such a lasting impression on these individuals was a really good and uplifting experience.

AFF1.gif