Bad Staff Experiences

Morrigan

Looking back (that makes me sound really old..) I would have to say that I've only had one bad staff experience and it centered around a very strange member situation. I've felt pretty lucky with the staff I've worked with!

I'm not great at confrontation but sometimes it's just necessary! So we're a pretty laid back site - with no posting requirement because life is always going to come first, as it should... It hits each member differently, but we make it very clear that we're relaxed pace. Then we had a member come on board who waited a few days for someone to respond to their thread and then got angry when it took more than a day or two.

That's when they posted - on the board - a "blacklist" of people that they refused to rp with because they took more than a few days to respond. It ended up getting quite out of hand and ultimately this individual was banned from the site. They were harassing those who were kind enough to post with them but didn't respond quick enough. This was before they were also added to the "blacklist". It was so weird!!

Periodically they will come back with a different IP address and sometimes a different name to wreak havoc, spam a bit, and then disappear again. For a good three months afterwards, the whole site was on edge anytime a new person joined because we all feared it was that specific individual. I can't lie, I still get nervous sometimes!

• Cringe 1

• 1 year later...

Ohhhh this was four or five years ago when I was just a couple of years into RPing on tumblr. I had a metahuman style RP and really got to know one of my members really really well. I made him staff. Now, he didn't really do anything but maybe help look over an application here and there. I decided to let him run this sort of 'mission' activities I and thought up. Think, bi weekly mini 'events' for the RP where the factions/member groups would be given a situation they had to solve/survive or beat out one of the other member groups in completing. I gave him all the info I had thought up on how to do it, how to run it, and how to incorporate them into the RPing over all plot for the actual events. Well, about five weeks in, I started to feel something was off as people seemed more quiet in the OOC discord which was normally very busy. Noticed things around the RP's main blog were changed, deleted, or completely rewritten in a way that wasn't something I created. I changed it all back and asked my new co-admin if he knew anything about it. Well, didn't hear a single word back for a few days, and when I finally did........oh boy.

He had deleted the side blog that has the missions on it, deleted huge chunks of the lore for the site, and deleted a lot of the bios for characters. He DMed me that he was taking 'his' missions system, point system, and lore and making his own site. Threatened if I used any of it then he'd write all over the tags how I stole it all from him and just tank my reputation. Turns out he took a good chunk of my member base to. He made his own site that was a wal-mart version of my own and had clear and heavy influence from the irish revolution or whatever political situation was going on (he was from Ireland). His RP was basically dead in the water before it even opened as he made it way too political and had been advising people to take site canons from my RP and play them. Then he still used my 'mission system' but this time on an RP that had that 'you get texts to do a dare, do it and get money, don't and get punished' theme to it. but with an all male Omegaverse twist to it.

• Cringe 1