What do you do when life gets you down?

Morrigan

• Admin

So today I've been having a bad day so I just need to decompress. I was in near tears a few times. So I took a step back and focused on doing my work. To give me a little me time I went out for lunch to eat something I was craving. It made me feel a millions times better.

So what do you do to decompress when life is too stressful?

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

Music helps the most. Sometimes writing helps too.

• I read this! 3

MUSIC! 

Also I've been pretty down in the dumps for a while, too. :( I had to put my guinea pig down after months of struggling to keep him alive. And now I'm recovering from some dental work. (And some of you know I have some major dental phobias, so it was a bit traumatizing for me.) So I've just been vegging out in front of Project Runway and playing games on my tablet.

• I read this! 2

Reality is an illusion. 

Videogames mostly. 

I don't really have a set game which cheers me up. But different ones can help. Super Smash Bros is one that can help. I mean I love having the option to beat the stupid out of Bowser as Kirby or whomever. It makes zero sense... but's stupidly fun. 

Borderlands (series) cheers me up because of the offbeat humour and constant references to other things. Plus it looks cool and getting new guns/powers is awesome. 

I've also been digging this game 20XX.

Fallout games also tend to make everything else vanish. Want to lose a month? Start playing Fallout 4. (Not even kidding I have over 120 hours into the game and I still haven't beat it yet. I'm over half way... Though most of my play time has been doing side quests, looting all the things and shooting even more. I eagerly await the Creation Kit to see what people can do with it. I want my Iron Man armor so I can fly around like even more of a badass.)

• I read this! 2
"There are three sides to every story... Your side, their side, and then somewhere in the middle is the truth."

I'm actually on a medication right now that's helping quite tremendously, as I not only have depression due to many unexpected life events such as the passing of my mother when I was 27, but also because I have a lot of social anxiety issues and all of it kind of... it's just not been good. Anyway, I stress ate a lot which wasn't good for my body but it helped the serotonin in my brain to help me feel better emotionally. Now though, I enjoy music every so often and daydreaming. Playing games helps, both video games and web-based games like Chicken Smoothie and Lioden. Role playing is a real help too, which is why I'm getting back into it.

Spending time with my kids has been the biggest help that I've found to get me through just about anything and it keeps me going.

• I read this! 3

poke_bro.png

11 hours ago, Diana said:

Playing games helps, both video games and web-based games like Chicken Smoothie and Lioden. Role playing is a real help too, which is why I'm getting back into it.

Brand spanking new games make me excited. <3 Or replaying old favorites. Suikoden has been played to death at this point but I think the second game is a masterpiece in storytelling. 

But I quoted this for the roleplaying part because I've been helped out of some yucky slumps thanks to my favored RP partner. I know I can go to her with any old crazy plot and she'll have me. So even when the rest of RP world becomes frustrating, I always have her.

• I read this! 3

Reality is an illusion. 

When I get really low, to the point that throwing myself at rp & posts doesn't help, I tend to do things like...

Get icecream or other special sweets. 

Hugging my cat until she's sick of me.

Bingewatch favorite TV shows. 

Edit photos through Instagram.

Read shit on Buzzfeed.

Most of the time, I prefer things REALLY quiet, because I get to a certain level of 'overwhelmed' that I get tired of competing with. I also used to knit, and sometimes I draw and color (like legit coloring books-- now focused on the hyper-detailed ones for adults)

• I read this! 2

ghost_microkit_by_hyraea-d4c4grg.gif2nm3jao.jpg8120380.png?mtime=Vv_oIAAAYRw
:ghost:  2hmo3vd.png :ghost:
credits: [kitten][humerus][dragon]

I'm a Manic Depressive. I am generally on the "up" side for most of the year. Every few months I get into the most depressive state of mind. I become a shut in and begin doubting everything about my life. 

I usually make a change about myself (Hair-Cut, Wardrobe Change, etc.) to try to create an illusion of change in life. If I see myself in a different light, maybe my brain will catch on. If that doesn't work, I expose myself to new things and people. Try to gain new perspectives. Sometimes I catch myself just scouring the internet for inspiration (usually "People are Awesome" videos for a muse). 

It's difficult. Sometimes, nothing works and you just got to wait it out. Sometimes, you can kick your ass out of the funk and work your way through it. Willpower is key... which is hard since when you're down willpower is something you're in dire need of. 

Talking helps. It really does. Find someone who is willing to listen (I am if you ever need to) and just unload on them. Family members aren't usually the best choice since they try to "Fix" things for you which isn't what you're looking for. There isn't a fix. Just need to unload and vent. Someone to just nod, listen and bear the burden. 

• I read this! 4

newersig.png

Music! I have an obsession with music. Something doesn't feel quite right if I go through the majority of the day without listening to any whatsoever. So, if I'm down in the dumps, blasting a folk metal playlist usually cheers me up pretty quick. Who doesn't want to feel like a Viking who's pillaging villages? ;D 

Writing/roleplaying also helps me. Drawing does too. Doing something I like to do, basically.

• I read this! 2

rsz_nightborn_signature.png.49b292d20e17d3c29707bfecdb8bb800.png

• 4 months later...

Knit. That probably makes me sound like some kind of old fart, but I swear I'm not a grandmother and never tell kids to get off my lawn. :P I mostly knit socks, and I find it very calming, mindless, repetitive, and satisfying... nobody in my house wears store-bought socks any more. (That's... probably a rather telling remark on my life. Ah well.)

• Love 1

I focus on what absolutely must be done right this minute.

Then I have my melt down. Sometimes it's actually soothing to get it out of the system. If you feel like crying...do it. Pamper yourself in the mean time. If a hot bath is your thing, have your cry there, or in the shower. Curl up with a book or a sappy movie.

It's how I've dealt with everything currently going to hell in a hand-basket. Then i find the things that pep me up. Treat myself to a good dinner, maybe ice cream because who doesn't like ice cream? Poke my writing partner for some rapidfire BS, and focus on something I can control. It helps.

• I read this! 1

LAMSig.png.4a4090b379562b2600cc05eefdbfa826.png

Talking to people; usually not about whatever I am stressed about, or upset about. And if I can't do that, or I don't want to, then I play Sudoku. I just have it as an app on my phone with hundreds upon hundreds of puzzles, and I just work on that.

It just takes my mind entirely off of what i was upset about, since I'm concentrating on the numbers rather than whatever was getting me down. It doesn't always work of course, but it helps a bit!

Ex Vino Veritas

• 3 weeks later...

When I feel down or stressed out, which is a common thing for me, I start listening to Owl City and find something to keep my mind busy, usually a puzzle or sudoku. It helps me just relax and keep calm. However when I am really sad and just want to cry, I will find my Sad and Slow playlist and listen to it until I fall asleep. 

E98pZGb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I... draw or paint. Nothing in particular, just these angry horrible doodles or painterly things on a canvas with my acrylic. Sometimes getting crazy on a piece of paper or canvas is helpful. 

img

tumblr_opnrb7WTiz1tdfsf6o5_r1_500.gif