That's a deal breaker...

Morrigan

Yes, the standard practise of leaving absence messages and estimated time of return. I have nothing against this. I know it's polite, and I do it.

Once again, my deal breaker was staff wording rules that members need to get their permission to go on hiatus. You're sick? Run it by staff to make sure it's a valid reason. That kind of authoritarian "I own you" wording. It goes too far to treat members like peons who need your approval to step away from the site, simple as that. If I see this, I don't join the site.

But yeah, hopefully it's made quite clear that I know it's polite to leave absence messages and I do it. That is not my deal breaker at all. :P

• I read this! 3

Lurking around as usual, checking a site out before joining just to make sure you like it all, and then...

Suddenly, you see in the chatbox how the admin is gossiping about a member currently not there or about their members on another board or something. I will never join a site which gossips about members or who creates those OOC cliques. I can either write with you all, or with none.

Additionally, if you have such a tendency to reject every OC which doesnt fit in with the canons just because you dont know the player OOCly and you refuse to say hi to them -- that's a deal breaker. I dont want to see canon chars rp with canons and then the OCs hoarded in a corner and left there.

I think another deal breaker is having a "very smart" policy of banning ads from different hosts. If you think people using a host arent worth your while, since you dont want to reach to them by advertising, then YOU're not worth MY while. Yes, I'm looking at you Jcink, get your shit together. So even if i like the site, community and all that, if you dont want me, I'll pretend I never stumbled upon you ^_^  (speaking as a person who's been on a lot of different hosts)

Wanted ads & canons not being claimed. Lets be real, they DO move the plots forward; be those board wide or personal. So if your board had no canons or wanted ads claimed by members, chances are my wanted ad(s) wont get taken either, so why bother if I cant enjoy a long rp experience with you?

No apps/plotters/claims or poor grammar - it's been said before.

whoosh this turned into a rant lol

• I read this! 3

Seeing an admin needling people to post.

No. Just no.

Edited by Madame Superfly
  • I read this! 2

pfZKNf.png

3 hours ago, K said:

Suddenly, you see in the chatbox how the admin is gossiping about a member currently not there or about their members on another board or something. I will never join a site which gossips about members or who creates those OOC cliques. I can either write with you all, or with none.

Damn, talking about a member on the site, on the cbox, when they're not there? That takes some balls ... and douchery.

3 hours ago, K said:

Additionally, if you have such a tendency to reject every OC which doesnt fit in with the canons just because you dont know the player OOCly and you refuse to say hi to them -- that's a deal breaker. I dont want to see canon chars rp with canons and then the OCs hoarded in a corner and left there.

Yep, agreed, especially bad when site wide events are glorified personal threads for canons, rather than things that OCs can get in on and make their mark.

3 hours ago, K said:

I think another deal breaker is having a "very smart" policy of banning ads from different hosts. If you think people using a host arent worth your while, since you dont want to reach to them by advertising, then YOU're not worth MY while. Yes, I'm looking at you Jcink, get your shit together. So even if i like the site, community and all that, if you dont want me, I'll pretend I never stumbled upon you ^_^  (speaking as a person who's been on a lot of different hosts)

Indeed. They're basically cutting their advertising opportunities into quarters or even less.

• I read this! 3

When canons can be reserved for an undetermined time. I like to know what I can expect and having a different reservation time per person seems unfair to me. 

• I read this! 4

Man, it takes some balls to trash talk a member in a public space.

More for fandom sites... But when they've changed core aspects of the lore in order to give their character's super special stuff. Happens a lot with Pern, I've noticed.

• I read this! 2

On Thursday, 12 May 2016 at 1:44 PM, Rune said:

Man, it takes some balls to trash talk a member in a public space.

More for fandom sites... But when they've changed core aspects of the lore in order to give their character's super special stuff. Happens a lot with Pern, I've noticed.

It also used to happen a lot back in the day with Bioware RPs (based on Dragon Age, Mass Effect, KOTOR). Where the admin plays the hero from one of the games. Don't get me wrong, nothing against staff taking canons like that. But more than a few were structured so that everyone else is a third wheel to the main character's greatness.

45 minutes ago, Honorem said:

It also used to happen a lot back in the day with Bioware RPs (based on Dragon Age, Mass Effect, KOTOR). Where the admin plays the hero from one of the games. Don't get me wrong, nothing against staff taking canons like that. But more than a few were structured so that everyone else is a third wheel to the main character's greatness.

That... I don't get why anyone would even want to do that? Mostly because if I see a situation in which player A is clearly the hero all my interest goes out the window. Why would I want to play into someone's power fantasy? Things should be set up so that multiple people have a shot at being the hero if there's even a hero situation.

• I read this! 2

It doesn't even have to be a situation with canons for the staff for the hero situations to occur. It's generally that there are two types of people who become staff on an RP: those who do it because they enjoy the stories and the game, and will tend to think about their players first; and those who do it in an attempt for attention and power, and those tend to be the ones with the hero character and don't notice or care that their players are third wheels.

But yeah, super frustrating.

• I read this! 3

Emperor468x60.png.b7bb87f952ee0dcc7a97150c6258c8f9.png

Captain Amelia Waterhouse, Commanding Officer

=/\= Join =/\= Roster & Openings =/\= Rules =/\= Chat =/\=

"It is human nature to yearn to be what we were never intended for. It is singular, but it is so." -Mark Twain

• 2 weeks later...

I am so glad I'm not the only one with those deal breakers, seeing as you agreed and quoted me lol.

Poofing.

Yes, poofing. Not like, now I'm online now I'm not, but like, today I finished all my replies and then for a month I don't do one post even though I am 24/7 in the chatbox.

Lacking muse? Maybe tell your partner so they don't feel ignored, or as if you're just planning to become a ghost member, I don't know.. ó.ò

Basically if I see people log in for the sake of having a long list of Active Members, I nope away. I want to roleplay not pass by, leave and repeat.

• I read this! 6

• 1 month later...

Oh man where do I start. Im a picky guy.

First thing is just a 'bad' forum theme. I shut down at that point, if I cant enjoy looking at it, I probably dont wanna be there.

Tiny Fonts : I am visually impaired and if a part of a website is bad, I modify it's style sheet so I can more easily read it, but forums are more haphazardly coded and this method barely ever works. So I just cant read the site and leave.

I hate hoovers, they are a coding menace and have the usability of a brick wall on anything with a touch screen. With the proliferation of touch, putting them ontop of crucial functions, like viewing a application's detail, is insane to me.

I also dislike OOC cboxes, but im in an extreme minority. 

• I read this! 4

• 3 weeks later...

Cbox drama. Nothing annoys me more than watching people argue or drag their personal issues into the cbox.

Edited by PERSEPHONE
  • I read this! 3

PuW4FhW.jpg
INDEX • PLOT  •  CANON LIST  • WANTED ADS

I personally hate rude or excessively complicated rules. You can be strict without being absolutely rude to members. I have seen some pretty bad ones, and they just immediately raise a red flag for me. I never try to break rules, and when I see these complicated and strict rules, I feel like i'm going to get my ear chewed off just for accidentally breaking a rule. I also am really bothered when I see a bunch of swear words in important threads like rules or plots, and I'm surprised how much I have seen this. It just isn't necessary.

• I read this! 4

E98pZGb.jpg

When members are active in the cbox but can't bother to let you know the status of a reply you've been waiting on... And then get mad when they get flagged during an activity check. Lolol.

• I read this! 2

PuW4FhW.jpg
INDEX • PLOT  •  CANON LIST  • WANTED ADS