Books? What are you reading? What's your favorite?

Autumn

58 minutes ago, Icewolf said:

Earth's Children is one of my favourite series, too, but I don't know what happened with the last two books in it. I don't like either of them. Bad editing, perhaps? I find it difficult to find books I like these days, so I end up re-reading old favourites when I am in the mood for reading.

It was the utter lack of plot for me. Painted Caves was just talking about caves for the entire book and describing them over and over without anything else to it. Whereas Shelters was Ayla's whining about someone else existing and then tossing everything she was raised with to the wind and embracing this new thing 'cause she can. There didn't seem to be any connection to the previous books except for the fact that Jondalar was there.

• I read this! 1

Shelters was also over-repetitive, which annoyed me, especially when it came to repeating her discoveries and that song! I didn't mind the cave descriptions, but the hunting scene in the first chapter just about sums up what I mean by bad editing because it was an endless string of so-and-so did this, etc, and the characters were introduced as a string of names. I had hoped that she would have reconnected somehow with her son from the first book.

• I read this! 2

• 3 weeks later...

Currently Reading: Anita Blake Series, book #22. I clearly have a problem.

Favorite book though? It's hard to find as it's long out of print, and I picked up the hardcover on a whim at the dollar store.

If I Pay Thee Not In Gold by Piers Anthony and Mercedes Lackey

• I read this! 2

LAMSig.png.4a4090b379562b2600cc05eefdbfa826.png

• 2 weeks later...

Presently I'm reading The Mercury Visions of Louis Daguerre, by Dominic Smith. So far it's quite good... a lot of interesting, evocative imagery without being overwritten, difficult to follow, or too esoteric.

I have to be ever-so-slightly careful what I read while rp-ing, because if I'm not careful I may accidentally borrow some of the prose-based tics. This is an issue if I'm reading something crap... my writing suffers! D:

Edited to Add: I just finished reading The Mercury Visions of Louis Daguerre and... well, it was a really quite astonishingly beautiful book, and I may have cried a bit toward the end! Highly recommend!

Edited by Corinthian
an update!
  • I read this! 3

23 hours ago, Corinthian said:

I have to be ever-so-slightly careful what I read while rp-ing, because if I'm not careful I may accidentally borrow some of the prose-based tics. This is an issue if I'm reading something crap... my writing suffers! D:

I'm reading the Temeraire series which has given me some weird mannerisms in how my characters speak. Fortunately I have a couple Victorian era characters so I can just shove it into them to make it pass.

• I read this! 3

• 2 weeks later...

Right now I'm reading 'Game of Thrones' again, though it's taking some time since I only read on downtime at work.

As for my favourite book though, I would have to say 'Les Miserables'. I'm a big fan of the book in all of its art styles, from movies to plays. I just love all of the characters, and Victor Hugo's style of writing as a whole.

• I read this! 2

Ex Vino Veritas

Clash of Eagles by Alan Smale. Interesting fantasy novel set in an alternate history where the (western) Roman Empire never fell, and in 1200AD it has begun to conquer North America as a province. It feels very historically accurate (author takes great detail and accuracy with both Roman and Native American cultures), and I wholly recommend it. Good thing is there's now a second book in the series out, and a third coming next year. :D

• I read this! 1

• 1 month later...

I am currently switching between reading the Dead Witch Walking series, the Sword of Truth series, and a book called "The Unremembered". I'm not sure how I'm keeping them all straight so far.

• 1 month later...

Currently I'm reading the Novelization of Batman Arkham Knight. Not the best book, but I wanted to see if there were things in the book that weren't in the game.

My all time favorite novel is The Stand by Stephen King.

I wouldn't call these my favorite books, but two series I love to reread are the X-Wing Rogue Squadron series by Michael A. Stackpole and the Young Jedi Knights series by Kevin J. Anderson. I liked both series a lot and I still enjoy rereading them.

• I read this! 1

My current read is rereading the Splintered trilogy. It's a newer sort of Wonderland story. Here's the cover of the first one, and by image-searching this one out I literally just found out about the fourth book in the series, Untamed. I picked up the first three as an impulse buy and have not regretted it.

51L9OpRzjIL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Oh man. Let's update this...

The Kitty Norville series and the Kate Daniels series are slowly falling to my reading. Next (after Magic Strikes and Kitty takes a Holiday) is Greywalker. Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children is on my list, too.

I should take a picture of my TBR pile...

• I read this! 1

I've actually already read and own all 3 of the Peregrine books. I should pick up Tales of the Peculiar, though; it's a book that was released after the series that sorta-kinda goes with it. You'll understand after you read the series.

Guest LOVE ME AND DESPAIR

I'm currently reading Words of Radiance by Brandon Sanderson which is book #2 in The Stormlight Archives series. Really enjoying it just as I did the first one The Way of Kings.

Some favorites(not all, too many to list): The Stand by Stephen King, Little Women by Louisa May Alcott, LotR by J.R.R. Tolkien, Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm re-reading Pantomime by Laura Lam, a really (imho) fantastic book that is woefully misrepresented by it's first edition blurbs. Well admittedly, it's her first published novel and it does read like it. But it's a ripping yarn.

sig.png.30b42565d04d922988370bf14e1447bc.png

PSI: an Occult Investigations RP

Roleplay Architects: Grab a friend (or many friends!) and just write.

You can also find me at:

static-historicalrp.jpg  B8CB4x.png rpabutton.png