What popular things do you hate?

Varos

When I was saying hello to @ChrisSoW in his welcome mat thread, @Morrigan mentioned not liking Game of Thrones, it got me wondering. What are those things everyone absolutly loves, that does absolutely nothing for you? Is there a reason why? Now, this may generate some heat, but I don't want this to be an insult to anyone. I intend it more to be a show of solidarity so that you know you aren't the only person in the world who doesn't like it. So please be nice? I'll give you a :yellowheart:!

Personally? The 100. It sounded so good, right up my alley, but I tried the first four episodes and couldn't get into it. Clark seemed so wooden, and everyone was super lusty- be it in the traditional sense or bloodlust. I just couldn't do it anymore.

Also, Justin Bieber's new songs. Everyone seems to love them. In my opinion, they aren''t bad, and from everything I've heard from him, they are the best so far, but they still aren't something I'd listen to.

Hotline Bling. Hate this song. Hate that I know almost all the lyrics because it's always on the radio. I really can't sand it.

The Seven Deadly Sins. A new anime on Netflix that has a lot of popularity. I'm a big anime fan, but I tried the first two or three episodes and wasn't interested.

• I read this! 2

output_xg0t1c_zps87cec77f.gif
Distension

A fantasy and supernatural RP with multiple worlds, 20+ races, 60+ unique abilities, 150 WC, and a friendly environment!

Oh man, awesome topic! I got a bunch.

- Sword fights in literally any movie or TV show. Especially Game of Thrones. They are slow, clumsy and really, really stupid. The moment anyone reads up on HEMA, is the moment they realize sword fights on screen look and behave absolutely nothing like the reality, and doing any of those silly swings or spins would get you killed by even a novice opponent. -Takes off superiority goggles- I sound like an ass there but it had to be said.

- Any popular song which has incoherent lyrics which sound like mumbling, or just so unclear in general you have to look them up. Friends rave about how it's so great, while I just think 'they need to enunciate!'

- Pasta and lasagne, which I suppose is a food that many people like. I absolutely hate it. I just associate it with too many carbs, and I know it's not bad in moderation, but still.

• I read this! 3

• Admin

What does the Fox say!? I literally want to punch anyone that uses this.

Nyan Cat.... Just no.

Son's of Anarchy

Breaking Bad - I watched the first season and part of the second and then I just didn't get it anymore and I really loathed some of the characters. They were hard to handle.

Spongebob - He's been popular since I was in High school. He is fully banned from my home as I HATE that show and never watched it.

I'm sure I have plenty more but those are the ones off the top of my head.

• I read this! 4

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

Guest Archaic Cyborg

Game of Thrones. I see it everywhere, I see a lot of Medieval Fantasy games all take inspiration from it/based on it, I see a lot of players  at IJ who basically make carbon copies of the canons, and.. my RL sister keeps pestering me to watch it. Apparently, I can't say no, it's not a valid enough reason. I have. Zero. Fucking. Interest in the show. I hate court drama politics, I hate 'who slept with what king and who backstabbed who for the hundredth time' plots, not to mention the wtf controversies with the show's writers and whatnot. I don't care that there's dragons. Dragons aren't enough to make me watch a show, not unless i'm 10 years old again.

MCU. I used to be in it, vaguely. I just hate how every panfan game on IJ gradually turns into a MCU-dominated ..panfan rpg. Like how Harry Potter used to take over every game. FFS. All the new 1x1 and game ads are for MCU, every time an actor reveals something 'new', or posts a fanservice-baiting quote on their Facebook, etc. Rageragerage. /sips tea

Star Wars. I'm not big on sci-fi; I really can't stay consistent with the whole 'anything goes' atmosphere, even if there is a strict 'X can be done, but not Y'. I suppose it's because a lot of aspects are just handwaved into existing 'because it's sci-fi', similar to how Fantasy writers can justify dragons with 'because it's Fantasy, just accept it'. I can imagine a goblin creature existing, it's just another animal, but... yeah. Star Wars is a massive universe, pun intended, and again: I don't like politics. It just bores me. That, and every time I'm hounded to watch the new SW film, it's the same old 'car chases in space' and pseudo sword fights. My sis dragged me to watch TFA, and honestly, I fell asleep halfway through it, woke up at random times. Myep. No interest. I did try to get interested, but.

MCU... Do you mean Marvel? Because I've not come across the term MCU and that's the only thing I can think of. @Blackjack Bart

• I read this! 1

Distension

A fantasy and supernatural RP with multiple worlds, 20+ races, 60+ unique abilities, 150 WC, and a friendly environment!

Guest Archaic Cyborg
Just now, Varos said:

MCU... Do you mean Marvel? Because I've not come across the term MCU and that's the only thing I can think of. @Blackjack Bart

It is, it's short for the Marvel Cinematic Universe. It's an official term to separate the filmverse from the comic continuities, but forum rpers probably just use 'Marvel' as a blanket term. Most Marvel rpers I've encountered are obsessed with the MCU, (or really, the actors) so that's all they will acknowledge.

• Admin

Added MCU as an acronym on DF. ;) 

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Nyan cat annoys the hell out of me, too.

Puppymonkeybaby... Just stop.

• I read this! 2

Ahhh. I see. Thanks for the explanation. I've never joined a Marvel site, but I could see where that would be annoying.

Puppymonkeybaby is something I've never even heard of.

Apparently I don't know much. :P

• I read this! 1

Distension

• 3 weeks later...

My list is probably going to be a little long, but here goes.

Star Wars! I'm just not interested in sci-fi whatsoever.

American Horror Story. I watched the first episode and ... need I explain? The amount of weird sexual stuff going on there just made me plain uncomfortable. And I'm not usually made uncomfortable by sexual themes, but that stuff was weird.

Ugg boots. Ugh.

Justin Beiber's new songs. I'm another person that doesn't like them. Then again, I'm severely biased in that you couldn't drag me out of the metal genre if you tried.

Leggings. They're not pants. I really don't want to see your frilly white thong. /dies

Vampire Diaries.

I actually started struggling to think of things near the end. Wow. That's odd for me. I think I need a pat on the back.

• I read this! 2

rsz_nightborn_signature.png.49b292d20e17d3c29707bfecdb8bb800.png

To be fair there's not a lot that I truly hate. Most things I recognise that I'm just not the target audience for. Like there's no point for me to hate Bejeweled because I'm not someone who loves puzzle games. So why exert the effort to hate it when I can move onto something I do enjoy. Though there are some things which are so pervasive it's hard to ignore (and that's primarily what will spark my hate).

Game of Thrones - I watched the first episode and got stupidly bored (I felt it'd be a waste for me to watch anymore since I wasn't really going to change my mind). Granted I'm not really into high fantasy so it probably wasn't something I'd enjoy much anyway. I don't care for some of George R.R. Martin's comments/attitude. His books don't interest me. People who obsess over GoT get incredibly annoying fast. Overall, just not something I want to be around.

My Little Pony - Seriously, enough. I do not want to see this on my feeds. I'm tired of logging into Deviant-art or wherever and having ponies be all over there. I'm tired of seeing all my favourite characters turned into ponies. I'm tired of hearing about the bronies. I'm sick of having to keep pounding the ignore/dismiss/dislike button to make them go away. 

Ships - I'm kind of reached the saturation point here. I'm tired of TV shows forcing a ship in because they need romantic tension. And how very often these are used at the worst times imaginable to pad things out.

Spoiler

Like on The Flash...

Barry refuses to tell Iris how he feels about her. But after an issue he realizes he has to tell her or else risk losing her forever. Of course this happens just when Iris and Eddie Thawn (who have been dating a while) decide to move in together. 

And then of course it gets all kinds of weird/awkward/stupid.

I'm sick of seeing people constantly posting about their ships everywhere. Especially in cases where the ship is incestuous or borderline thereof.

Spoiler

Like in Devil May Cry circles, the DanteXTrish ship.

Trish was designed by the bigbad of DMC1 to be a mirror image of Dante's mother so that he'd trust her. Dante knows that. He is not going to shack up with Trish because of how close she looks to his mother. Stop doing that because it's creepy.

I've had enough of people complaining that their ship isn't taken seriously or is dismissed or whatever. If you like a ship, whatever. But don't try forcing it on others or going on nonstop about it. That is what will turn people against you quicker than the fact you like a particular ship. (Well... unless a ship is like really messed up... Like a 5 year old and a 36 year old. Then yeah, fuck you for your pedophilic crap.)

• I read this! 4
  • Love 1
"There are three sides to every story... Your side, their side, and then somewhere in the middle is the truth."

• Admin

I <33 you @VirusZero You are always very straightforward.

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

I love to hate stuff. I live for hating on things. One of the things that really gets me going are movies based on books. I hate them. There's not even a single one I think is okay. Every time people get hyped over this stuff, I want to erase the conversation from my mind and pretend I never knew that about them. The book is ALWAYS better. I'm a book snob so there's never going to be a movie that convinces me otherwise. When I read a book, the author paints the world for me but my imagination does a lot of the work, too. When somebody takes that medium and tries to visualize it in their own words, to me, it bastardizes the original work. Even worse when they age up characters for sex appeal and unnecessary ships (I'm with VirusZero on this one) or they cut out this character to make room for some totally made up piece of crap they had to shove in there. Again, usually for sex appeal. Sorry, but if you're working with a children's book, there's no need to add sex appeal. 

But judging by my Facebook feed, a lot of people I know are not in the same camp as I am. I usually just keep my mouth shut about it or rant to people I know don't care if I rant about it. But you know, this topic is about hating popular things and... books made into movies are pretty popular things--if not a specific hate on a specific movie.

• I read this! 4

Reality is an illusion. 

If I hate anything that most people like it would be The Originals. I've never even seen the show but I couldn't stand the characters when they were first introduced on The Vampire Diaries (mostly Klaus actually) so I just never watched the spinoff show.  Maybe that's dumb but why would you watching something when you can't stand one of the main characters?

• I read this! 1

Profile graphics by @Lirschen

• Admin
10 hours ago, KARA BELLA said:

Maybe that's dumb but why would you watching something when you can't stand one of the main characters?

I watched Dexter even though I hated Rita but it paid off!

Spoiler

She got killed! Best episode EVER!

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png